Revolution Brewing: Deep Wood Series (2017)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by prior2two, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer78

Summer78 Initiate (172) Jan 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Parking shouldn't be an issue. Go to Dmen. Food's great and their draft list is usually solid.

PhilBallins likes this.
  2. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (200) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

Is there going to be anything tapped at the brewpub?

3. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (808) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

A couple of good suggestions already. There really isn’t a TON of food options in that area.

You could order delivery to the taproom. Golden Crust and Jets are the usual suspects.
    If you want to pick food up and bring it into the taproom...
    Toma Café is a little pricier and hipster, but makes some tasty empanadas.

Two ‘locals only’ hidden gems, I’d reccomend if you are looking for authentic, cheap ethnic food:
    Carniceria Guanajuato. Taqueria in a grocery store (always a good sign). Tortas for like $5 and burritos for 6. Tacos done right. Delicious stuff!
    Joong Boo Market. Inside the market, you’ll get all your standard (and some weird af) Korean and panasian imports, but off to the left of the entrance, there is a little hut where they sell fresh, steamed, Korean stuffed buns. 4 varieties, $2 each, tons of flavor and the size of a softball. Great winter eats.

stevegoz, sonoma01, jaysker95 and 4 others like this.
  4. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (120) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I’ll second the taqueria. I live next to the one in Wicker Park and I eat it at least once a week. Really good food and cheap. They do close at 8pm though so be aware of that.

5. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,087) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

People are going to give you a bunch of different, and interesting answers, but I think we all know that this is what your fiance will really want:

1) There's a White Castle a couple blocks north of the taproom, on Addison.

2) After you get your White Castle, you can head over to Little Caesars and get a $5 Hot N Ready pizza (I prefer the $8 pan, but it's not $5, so there's that).

3) Eat like kings/queens.

6. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The answer is really as the first person suggested- Honey Butter Fried Chicken It's the only place offered up that is on Eater Chicago's list of 38 essential Chicago restaurants and it has been on there for a few years.

stevegoz likes this.
  7. KidGalaga

KidGalaga Initiate (75) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

eh, it's solid but nothing special. though, i will say that the dinner club they do brings out the best of their talents.

another hidden gem up that way is little bucharest, really good schnitzel that rivals what i had in Munich/Vienna.

Coons likes this.
  8. Coons

Coons Initiate (86) Mar 23, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

some good ass romanian food there, get the mamaliga (cheese polenta) or anything that sounds like meat. itll keep you nice warm and garlicky

9. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (808) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Hipster food: ’Pricy white people versions of cheap brown peoples’ food.’ :stuck_out_tongue:
    See - Parson’s, Big Star, etc.

In all honesty, the food at all these places is really tasty and made by passionate, skilled chefs. It has just always felt weird to pay $20 for a meal I could get a Harold’s or Nuevo León for under 10...

10. SeanBond

Trader

I like Big Star, but as a huge taco-head (I've derailed a few threads here talking about them), I agree. I'm happy to eat at Big Star (especially since they have a great and reasonably-priced bourbon menu), but there's some fantastic stuff to be had in unsung places (like the groceries/markets you mentioned).

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  11. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (314) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

If you're coming from the west, I would stop at L'Patron. I know that's my plan on Friday. It's not super-close though, 1.9 miles south west according to Google.

migue81 and joeyknuckles like this.
  12. migue81

migue81 Initiate (61) Dec 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Good spot, and its BYOB

13. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'll chime in and recommend Staropolska over on Milwaukee. Cheap, delicious, and filling Polish eats.

Zoomslowik likes this.
  14. SeanBond

Trader

Guys I already said White Castle

croush, flat_lander, Coons and 2 others like this.
  15. NNN

NNN Initiate (113) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. Cheap, too.

16. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (224) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Those fudge dipped cheesecakes will do you right.

17. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (193) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

NIBBLERS YEAH!

18. doublevision

doublevision Initiate (104) Sep 8, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

anyone think DB VSOD will last till Sat?

19. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'd say there's a chance. I can't imagine 690 people will walk away with two packs of it on Friday.

20. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (71) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Does Rev have a webpage ala FFF or Half Acre which lists their current beers available for to-go purchase? I can't seem to find it...

21. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,145) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I do not believe so. They have their tap list on the website, but not a to-go list. However, their snapchat posts what they have fresh in the taproom each week (if thats something you follow).

22. RBMurphy4

RBMurphy4 Initiate (69) Dec 16, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Double Barrel AND Single Barrel?? Mind. Blown.

23. Jinx989

Jinx989 Devotee (485) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

And when you drink them side by side you black out in your seat and are immediately transported to the corner of 1st and 1st, the Nexus of the Universe.

24. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (104) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Love this senfield reference! Ha ha

THANAT0PSIS, Coons, DeadWax and 3 others like this.
  25. ryno0384

Trader

Amazing tap list and Agreed. But double barrel VSOJ sounds equally as nuts....1st year in woodford reserve barrels, 2nd year in heaven hill. Then they take it a step further and do double barrel VSOJ cherry rye!! Mind double barrel blown! Rev is stepping it up as of late with their barrel program

26. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (772) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

shaking down the neckbeards...

27. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (543) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

For what it is worth to all out there:

I previously ranked this a 4-4.25. I drank it over a 2 hour period, letting it warm up from quite cold (45ish) to whatever it warmed up to over a 2 hour period. I drank it from a snifter.

Tonight I consumed a can from around the same temperature - perhaps slightly warmer starting, but I drank it from a small coffee/tea cup (an Intelligentsia BC cup). Totally better tonight. It could just be me, but I'd rank this a solid 4.5 tonight, and if my experience was this good every time, I'd try to buy another 4 pack.

Makes me really hope Cafe Deth ends up making it here with how much I enjoy BCBCS..

flat_lander likes this.
  28. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,772) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

No truer words have been spoken! Revolution has just killed it this year. Cafe Deth is amazing!

29. stevejames91

stevejames91 Initiate (82) Nov 21, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

For anyone attending life after deth tomorrow....

Did you get tickets in the mail? It didn't seem clear what you are supposed to bring. I just am assuming to get in you have to bring the confirmation email.

30. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Initiate (173) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Thank you for purchasing a ticket(s) to Life After Deth. The event will be an intimate gathering on the 2nd floor of the Revolution Brewpub (2323 N. Milwaukee Ave.), beginning at 7:00 PM on Thursday January 11th. Be sure not to confuse the location with our Tap Room & Production Facility on Kedzie Ave. Guests will be treated to an early preview of 2018 Straight Jacket, along with 4 specialty variants, each paired with a savory or sweet dish prepared by our chefs.

You will not need a ticket to enter, but instead to show your ID at the door, which must match the name on your order. If you purchased multiple tickets, please check-in alongside your guests. Upon check-in, you'll receive vouchers for each beer & food station, to be redeemed at your convenience.

Approximately halfway through the event, 4-packs of Straight Jacket & Mineshaft Gap will be available for to-go purchase. Guests are permitted to buy up to 4 Straight Jacket 4-packs & 2 Mineshaft Gap 4-packs. We have enough to ensure all guests can buy the maximum, so there is no reason to purchase until you're heading out. The event will end at 10:00 PM.

The Revolution team looks forward to spending the evening with our hardcore barleywine fans and chatting about Life, as we know it. Cheers!

31. Jmorey

Jmorey Aspirant (277) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Might have missed it here, but had some distro questions

• VSOD hit in the chicago area, did it make it farther, is it going out of state?
    • Is Straight Jacket getting distro? I want to guess yes, but didn't know. We got a decent amount of Deth in mid michigan (or people just had no clue what it was or how good it was...)
    • Is cafe getting distro this time around? Didn't know since it was put to no limit this time.

32. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (155) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

From Rev's FAQ's from the event page: "There will be limited distribution of Deth’s Tar, Cafe Deth, VSOD, and Straight Jacket to select retail accounts following the release parties."

I believe they mentioned that the left over cafe deth will be sold at Friday's release. I imagine it will sell out and that will be the end of cafe deth. If for some reason there's left over, I'm sure some will get distributed.

croush likes this.
  33. croush

croush Crusader (770) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I don't think VSOD or Café are going out of state. According to Rev's FB post for this release, it says those two may sell out before the release party, so I can't imagine there is enough to go out of state. I think if Café were to go out of state, they would've done it awhile back.

Straight Jacket was originally listed as limited distribution, so probably not out of state.

34. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (543) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Deth's Tar took almost a month I think to show up in Indiana. I kind of assumed Cafe was going to show up sometime soon - but maybe not. A bit of a shame if not. Was really looking forward to trying it. I figured no way VSOD would, but thought Cafe would.

35. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (750) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

SJ is coming to WI however it'll be extremely limited. Like 20 cases in Milwaukee.

36. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (129) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

For Cafe Deth: it was available at many Chicagoland retail locations in December. Everyone told me at the time that was all they were getting, so if you haven't seen it by now I'm guessing you will not see it.

37. Jmorey

Jmorey Aspirant (277) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Thanks guys.

38. ryno0384

Trader

FYI for anyone local to Logan Square who desires to make a liquid lunch run and maybe cant attend the kedzie taproom party later in the day......

Per Revolution Facebook post today 1/11-

"Want an early sample 2018 Straight Jacket, Mineshaft Gap & Double Barrel V.S.O.D.? Our Brewpub (Milwaukee Ave) opens at 11:00am tomorrow for lunch and will have all 3 of the new releases flowing.

Package sales and draft variants will take place at our Production Facility (Kedzie Ave), which will not open until 4:00PM tomorrow"

sonoma01 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  39. Theredflame2

Theredflame2 Initiate (149) Jul 30, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

What time do package sales start? Is that 4pm too?

40. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (224) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Heard from a (I think) reliable source that Revolution just confirmed VSOJ cans later this year.

sonoma01, Gibspeed, DeadWax and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.