Revolution Brewing Deep Wood Series

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by prior2two, Aug 10, 2017.

1. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (323) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

2. dirtyfonzie

dirtyfonzie Initiate (43) Nov 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

12oz cans of Straight Jacket!!!!

Booyah!

chrismattlin likes this.
  3. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (318) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I wish they weren't so dug in on being anti-adjunct but happy for the diehards who want the smaller vessels. $35 a 4 pack is rough but I imagine a lot of bottle shops will break them up as singles which is a win

4. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (365) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not thrilled that they're releasing the last 2 rounds on Fridays. I'm guessing I'll have a tough time getting in from the burbs in time to get them.

5. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (354) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't see their best beer on here. VSOJ

migue81, BlueMusic and bread_c like this.
  6. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (318) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It may be apples to oranges now that they are 4 packs and there are different bottled varieties, but I believe all BA bombers lasted at least into day 2 and beyond last year. The variants on draft were a different story for Deth's Star at least

GuyFawkes likes this.
  7. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (909) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Honestly, this is the most exciting BA release (for me) in years. Very cool idea.

djtothemoney, Duff27, croush and 6 others like this.
  8. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (365) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I could see that for the first batch since they've all been done before and they probably have a lot more since it's split over 2 days. I'm mainly talking about the VSOD and DBVSOD.

9. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (382) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Between this news and the Bourbon County lineup, it's gonna be time to take out a 2nd mortgage over the holidays...

10. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (130) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yeah, those are going to be nasty. Thankfully I have half day Fridays

11. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (148) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I agree. Gotta keep my rev verts going!!

Duff27 likes this.
  12. kdawgmoney

kdawgmoney Initiate (171) Feb 14, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This is awesome. I can't wait.

Splitting a four pack among friends is a way to ease the price burden as well.

Also looking forward to Cafe Deth featuring Gaslight coffee. One of the best roasters in Chicago.

Duff27 likes this.
  13. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Zealot (592) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This is great news! Similar to FSW going from 22 oz to 12 oz, except this is in an awesome 4 pack and CHEAPER! FSW needs to ditch the little mini boxes and do 4 packs as well.

14. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,169) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Kudos to Rev for ditching bombers. Sometimes it seems they are (wrongfully imo) overlooked & underappreciated on this forum but then I realize they don't haze or add nutella & other 'mind-blowing' additives to their stouts so perhaps this is why hardly anyone brings them up here. In any event, this is a clear win for consumers. Looking forward to 12 oz servings of Deth's Tar & SJ. Keep doing what you're doing, Rev. Cheers.

dracstuart, Duff27, tepie and 6 others like this.
  15. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (385) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm with you on cheapening the package a bit, but this is essentially the same pricing strategy as FW. 9$ per can and 10 dollars per bottle of FW
    If FW cut out the expensive box, it'd probably be the same price

16. BlueMusic

BlueMusic Initiate (127) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Wait, stop the presses, can says Deth's Tar Stout, carton say Deth's Tar Barleywine, what gives? Deth's Tar has always been a stout to date, so probably just a proofing mistake or bad photoshop workup, hopefully they are not printed yet! Looking forward to new format and varieties (VSOJ was my fav last year). Nicely done Rev!

Duff27 likes this.
  17. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (142) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

TFW Rev does Goose Island better than Goose and listen to people's opinion. Serioursly though, everyone (including me) loved & wanted Cherry Deth and VSOD bottled. They canned it and will make it super accessible.

Duff27 likes this.
  18. jlsims04

jlsims04 Zealot (515) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I think they get overlooked becaue for 2 years this series was an infected mess. Plus their regular lineup sits firmly in the mdeiocre catagory compared to the rest of the city.

That being said. I am jacked to give this series another go and love the format change.

19. SeanBond

Beer Trader

I agree with both Jaycase and jlsims. I think that a decent amount of their beer is relatively mediocre, but I also think that they do some great stuff that gets overlooked in the "hype wars." I think this is not only a great way for them to get back into the hype game (well, the start was making variants and events for all their BA beers), but am very excited that they're releasing multiple "extra-aged" BA beers, because that's something that I'd love to see more of in general (they always tend to be favorites of mine).

Duff27, GuyFawkes and flat_lander like this.
  20. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (561) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I personally am excited for these. I think SJ is stellar, didn't get to try VSOJ, but maybe someday. Sounds like a lot of winners for my palette out of the 8. I'm good with no adjuncts, or very little. I personally prefer non-adjunct for the most part in my BA stouts and barleys. Although I do love a proper coffee stout. As has been noted repeatedly, and it's been a while since this has been said so I feel like a reminder PSA is in order, cardamom is an abomination in beers and needs to stay the F out. Give me a solid base beer with lots of barrel character and I'm a happy boy. Good for you Rev.

Duff27, croush, Jaycase and 1 other person like this.
  21. 77apm

77apm Zealot (525) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A bunch of barrel aged offerings at each Rev location currently. Namely VSOGDB or Very Special Old Gravedigger Billy (brewery) and VSOG or Very Special Old Gene (brewpub). Yet once again Rev delivers the goods, go get a taste!

Plus a new Imperial Oatmeal Stout called Masters of War. Got some maple syrup, chocolate and coffee tones to it.

Duff27, chrismattlin and migue81 like this.
  22. lloydboss

lloydboss Disciple (329) May 9, 2014 Illinois

these draft only? Have they released any BA cans yet?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  23. 77apm

77apm Zealot (525) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Draft only, BA cans start in November

chrismattlin and lloydboss like this.
  24. lloydboss

25. SeanBond

Beer Trader

Never thought I'd say this as a huge GI fanboy, but I think I'm more hyped for these releases than Bourbon County this year!

FFFjunkie, Duff27, GuyFawkes and 2 others like this.
  26. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (153) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the amount of Cleveland > Chicago travel I gotta do this year!

27. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,580) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't know, that Banana Foster Prop has me so intrigued....but agreed that Revolution has upped their interest factor quite a bit.

28. croush

croush Defender (691) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm excited for the idea of a brewery putting these type of beers into cans, so big kudos to Revolution for doing this. The problem for me is that I don't think I've ever come away excited about one of their BA beers after drinking it. I've ranged from not liking some of them to just thinking the others are fine (and "fine" isn't a bad thing). I'll probably check out the some of the cans to see if my feelings are the same.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  29. Gibspeed

Beer Trader

Being in Ohio, we only get Deth's Tar and Straight Jacket, but I was blown away by them, especially because they're widely distro'd. BCBS and BCBW were the pinnacle of barrel aging for those two styles for me, but we don't get distro here (yet), so being able to get really similar beers as total shelfies here is amazing.

I did get two sour bottles of Straight Jacket though, which sucked, but hopefully the cans fix that.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  30. SeanBond

Beer Trader

Here's what I'll say about Rev's BA stuff:

I've never been blown away by the standard releases (although I recently had Deth's Tar at the taproom, and it was excellent), but they're solid and a decent value (price + availability).

However, I'm really excited about the VSOD cans. If I'm being honest, that's the portion of the release that I'm specifically targeting. I loved VSOD at the Deth's Tar release.

croush, Jason1221 and Gibspeed like this.
  31. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

I'm mostly excited for the VS's, but I will always rep Straight Jacket as one of the best BA barleywines you can find

32. SeanBond

Beer Trader

I have always heard this. I'm not the biggest BA barleywine (or non-BA) fan (I like them but rarely seek them out), but I do need to try SJ at some point, specifically because of all the good press.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  33. migue81

migue81 Initiate (135) Dec 26, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Too bad they wont can VSOJ, that stuff is fire!

fmd and PhilBallins like this.
  34. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (323) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Straight Jacket is as good as any BA barelywine outthere. I specifically don’t even buy bourbon county barlywine, because straight jacket is so readily available, and IMO the better beer.

35. fmd

fmd Initiate (145) Nov 30, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agree with this. Spoiled with all these Deth's Tar variants, but no love for VSOJ. Hopefully next time.

PhilBallins and migue81 like this.
  36. toastjeff

toastjeff Initiate (134) Mar 27, 2014 Illinois

To anyone in the area, the taproom did a release of Coffee Eugene today. Part of the release was a sale of vintage Deep Wood bottles. As of now (1:30ish) they still have vintage Straight Jacket and Deth's Tar bottles, as well as VSOG and VSOJ on tap.

BuffaloBill12 and SeanBond like this.
  37. lloydboss

agree, it's in my top 3 with Fremont B-bomb & Deschutes Mirror Mirror. can't wait for it to be out in cans (hopefully some SJ variants too)

38. PhilBallins

Beer Trader

Mineshaft Gap is coming too

lloydboss likes this.
  39. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (211) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Any idea how well SJ holds up over time? I found a dust-covered bomber from the last release on the top shelf of a grocery store, so not exactly ideal storage conditions.

40. Gibspeed

Beer Trader

I had two completely sour bottles that were only a couple months old. On the flip side, had another that was fantastic.