Rhyming, alliteration and pun in beer names -- Annoying, Dull or Clever?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Skywave, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywave

Skywave Poo-Bah (2,192) Feb 28, 2002 Oklahoma
    Society

I say for the most part it has become annoying and often dull. You can come up with beer names without resorting to literary devices that were considered cheap and dull in Shakespeare's time. JMO.

2. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Annoying alliteration? Absolutely awesome! Angry Arkansian?
    And names that rhyme are quite fine most of the time.
    Names that are puns? Eh, just playing it by beer. No reason for pun-ishment.

3. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

It depends. While I agree most of the rhyming names are tiresome, I do admire some.

4. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

5. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I long to start a brewery and release a beer called B⁸ (Bourbon Barrel Blackberry Brett Bomb Bier). Everyone on BA who doesn't know how to use superscripts would have to either type it all out or read an entire thread of BBBBBBBB's all over the place.

kemoarps and LSUPT like this.
  6. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

I enjoy the references in a lot of the names, which only become realized when someone knows a decent amount about what they are drinking.

kemoarps and Skywave like this.
  7. Skywave

Society

Good one :slight_smile: Anyway, it has become cliche' for small breweries to saddle respectable beers with rhymey, cutsey and sometimes meaningless names. A good example in my backyard is Diamond Bear (the name of the brewery and how some people receive it is an interesting story in itself). They have a highly respected American Porter that gets very high marks and is hands down the best thing they brew. It was originally a draft only seasonal called "Party Porter". They renamed this beer before it was put in bottles and made a year round offering. And what did the end up choosing? "Paradise Porter". Now what in the hell does a Porter (or any brew except pale lagers if you are thinking "tropical") have to do with Paradise? Anyway, I have to give them credit for not getting rhymey with any of their other beers. Presidential IPA and Two-Term Double IPA are clever without being dorky or cute.

I'd say in general about half of craft beer names are between respectable and "cool" and the rest are somewhere between unremarkable to embarrassing. Regardless, I don't let the name of the beer stop me from buying or enjoying it.

8. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Lame, mostly.

9. wrw5031

wrw5031 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Georgia

Would that make their brewer the master of "B8"?

I agree though, there's a fine line between the difference of "good" puns in names of beers and really really bad puns in beer names. I feel like there aren't many alternatives that aren't tiresome either, though. Non-pun names for beers can get boring really fast if they don't follow a theme or have some sort of back-story

kemoarps and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  10. luckytalisman

luckytalisman Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 California

I don't give a shit. I couldn't care less what a beer is named. If I like it, I like it - and that has nothing to do with its name.

RBassSFHOPit2ME and dedbeer like this.
  11. ratmoss

ratmoss Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2005 Illinois

The overuse of the "Hop" prefix really grinds my gears. Hopslam, Hopjuice, Hoptimum, Hopnotch, Hopinator, etc etc etc. We get it. You used hops to make this beer. It just seems really un-creative.

PSU_Mike, kemoarps, TommyLiam and 2 others like this.
  12. Skywave

Society

There's a beer out now called Hoptometrist. Best one i've seen. Clever twist on the Hop___ cliche. Hoptomestrists prescribe beer goggles?

13. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,756) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I hear ya. I drink "Burning Hello Kitty Wasteland Lager" for the aroma and no other reason.

14. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

If that was a hoppy dopplebock (which often have that "-ator" suffix) I'd be down with that name, but it's just a DIPA...so it's dumb.

kemoarps, KhakCane and zid like this.
  15. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (639) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Etan, kemoarps and pixieskid like this.
  16. jivex5k

17. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey, I enjoy the hop puns. My favorites are Hoptimus Prime and Hoptical Illusion.

utopiajane likes this.
  18. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I do too. psycHOPathy has got to be the most clever. :slight_smile:

davemathews68 and beerslushy like this.
  19. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (639) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

I thought it was pretty good. Not sure why the reviews are so poor. The barrelling brought out some nice vanilla notes IMO. To each his own and all that...

dmb2890 likes this.
  20. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

21. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,098) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I enjoy a good rhyme and pun, but they are a rare medium well done.

22. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

I find that the name of a beer has a direct relationship to the aroma, look and taste of that beer. [sarcasm].

23. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

Thats what I want to be if I ever grow up.

24. Hdredfern

I want to name a beer using a haiku.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  25. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,900) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Personally I think it diminishes the status of beer. Always appreciate the names and themes with a little background info - Pliny for example.

26. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

I recited to my friend ten beers pun in the hopes that one would make him laugh, but alas, no beer pun in ten did...

kemoarps, kirkse and cavedave like this.
  27. Hdredfern

I don't understand this mindset, I liken it to a parent who names there child a ridiculous name. (i.e. Prince Michael, Georgette Foreman, L-a {if this is a true one like the meme says}, Apple Ryder, Bean Cobain) I don't hate the kids, just think the parents are dumb.

utopiajane, KhakCane and 5thOhio like this.
  28. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I prefer the ones with a little thought in them, like historical references: Pliny, Rasputin, Kaiser, etc. I also like it when a brewery sticks to a theme such as Great Lakes using Cleveland and Ohio references.

Zormac likes this.
  29. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (397) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

Does anyone else think this thread would be a playground for BeerRapper?

kemoarps, CBlack85, jmw and 1 other person like this.
  30. jivex5k

Yeah, Lake Erie Monster holds a special place in my heart, filled with memories of drinking bud lights while sitting on a floating life jacket.
    It helps that it's a good beer too.

I like how CCB embraces Florida's culture with Tocopaca :wink:

31. wrw5031

wrw5031 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Georgia

I appreciate the joke you were trying to make, but I can't help but think it was a mi-steak....

32. Danny1217

Danny1217 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2011 Florida

CCB Toboggan is a fantastic beer too.

33. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Florida

as long as it's cohesive in the scheme of the brewery branding and/or "ideals" i'm usually OK with most names.

here ya go...

but seriously: ISO: BHKWL.

kemoarps likes this.
  34. Camjmorton

Camjmorton Disciple (347) Jun 4, 2013 Virginia

A few months ago I homebrewed an IPA and called it The Hoptometrist and thought I was clever

.........God damnit

35. Kenzie

Kenzie Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Utah

It depends. For I long time I have thought the name "Pandora's Bock" is clever. Other names like "baba black lager" for instance I don't find that original, but whatever if it's a good beer I could care less about the witty title. I also just bought a beer that was released right as the last episodes of Breaking Bad started airing called "Hoppenberg's Uncertainty Principle." I was super excited and have been saving it for the show's finale in two weeks. I'm just a nerd like that.

kemoarps likes this.
  36. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Arizona

It's all marketing, something to attach a brand and make you remember it. Hoptimum is more memorable than Sierra Nevada Double IPA #42. Like all marketing some is good and some is groan worthy and none of it really affects how much I enjoy the actual product.

pixieskid likes this.
  37. skiofpinsk

skiofpinsk Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Pennsylvania

It's clever when the contents inside the bottle are good, and annoying when they're bad.

waston, -Andrew-, Camjmorton and 4 others like this.
  38. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (385) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Came in here to say exactly this. So overused it's almost comical.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  39. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

On the one hand it's getting old. On the other hand as a hop head I've bought plenty of beers on the name alone.

40. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (975) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I don't really care what a beer is called, but if a beer is delicious and has a great name that is a bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.