Right Brain needs more Left Brain

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by GRPunk, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

Closing the original location before opening the new??? WTF?

Lost some business today.

2. jale

jale Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 Michigan

Unlike corporate breweries, they can't be in two places at once.

3. psykosis

psykosis Initiate (0) May 21, 2009 Indiana

Lease ended, budget was/is too tight to afford setting up the second location before the lease ran out on their first location.

I assume you are up in the TC area?

4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Right Brain needs more Left Brain money. The situation sucks but they are an awful small brewery with the budget of an awful small brewery.

5. psykosis

They were a great brewery until their head brewer left. It's been a downhill slide since then, and the move just buried them. I hope they can reopen, and try to regain their former glory. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to Beggars Brewery and Brewery Terra Firma opening up. Neither one can open soon enough.

adamdd likes this.
  6. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (284) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

We tried to go there last Tuesday, to the old address. Just strange that a brewery in a summer resort town would move during the summer.

7. psykosis

Wasn't by their choice. Their lease ended in June, and they were forced to move. The guy who owns the property is planning on partnering with a couple other people and opening a brewery himself.

8. genuinedisciple

genuinedisciple Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

Personally, I think their beer is just awful.

9. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (579) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

I've had 2 of their beers, the Asparagus beer and a Jack Danels aged stout (this was a few years ago), thought they were both beyond awful.

10. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I wish them the best and hope the move works out well. On FB they just posted they are painting the new place and are a few weeks behind schedule.

11. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Just out of curiosity, did you mean "awful, small brewery" or "awfully small brewery"?

If the former, lulz. If the latter, still lulz for making me read it as the former. :wink:

12. psykosis

A friend of mine owns the company they hired to do the floors. They are now trying to do the floors themselves. I hope they open up again, and my friend thinks they will, but that it's going to be touch-and-go for awhile.

13. Corbet

Corbet Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan

My girlfriend used to go to many of the weekly/monthly Right Brain events (Craft night, girls night) and almost all of the organizers of the events decided to move them to another brewery in the area.

While I can't really vouch for their beer quality (I've only had Naughty Girl Scout, which I liked), it seemed really cool that they had so many local events going on and it's a shame if they end up all going away thanks to the move.

14. Ronnie_Lemaster

Ronnie_Lemaster Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Michigan

When I visited this spring, I thought it was the strangest place for a brew pub. There's little to no signage what so ever on the outside to indicate that you've arrived. And inside it's a office park. They did a decent job decorating their place but it still feels way to "sterile" to be a brew pub.

As to their beers, I thought they were okay but not great. The standout in my opinion was Lucky's Charm Porter.

15. psykosis

It worked locally, as they were the first real craft beer pub in many people's opinions. Word traveled quickly, and they were almost always packed. For a starting business, the lower cost of being in an industrial area worked. Their beers were great too. But the brewmaster left and the pub declined. Then alternatives began to open (like 7 Monks), and it got worse at RBB. The last straw was the end of their lease. They closed shop, moved across town, and ran out of resources. They are now trying to get back on their feet, and in the meantime their customers have all moved on to the other craft beer pubs in the area. RBB can come back, but they need to reopen soon, and their beers MUST be on point. There are too many options locally to make average beer an option for an opening pub. At this point they have a recognized name, but they need to open up as if they are an all new brewery, since in many ways they are. I wish them luck, and hope they make it.

adamdd likes this.
  16. GRPunk

Sorry if I got ranty. Really wanted to check the place out today.

Hope it works out. Closed in the middle of likely the heaviest tourist time can't be good.

17. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

The latter, lulz were unintended but you are welcome.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  18. adamdd

adamdd Initiate (0) May 9, 2011 Michigan

If you were over near there new location, you should check out The Filling Station. I was there a few weeks ago, and their beer was decent. I personally liked most of what RBB was doing before. They seemed to be following the right plan. Start small, grow your business locally, serve up good beer, and then begin expansion. It is unfortunate that their lease situation ended like it did. The timing couldn't have been worse. I hope that they get back on their feet soon.

19. GRPunk

We did stop by Filling Station. Really cool locale. Surprised by the number of taps over there.

adamdd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.