Rink ice from Tampa Bay Lightning's Amalie Arena used in limited-edition beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by monstershu, Jul 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monstershu

monstershu Crusader (426) Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Basically a repurposed press release by ESPN, and it doesn’t make this beer sound any better.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...htning-amalie-arena-used-limited-edition-beer

2. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hockey talk, the lighting were better than the habs in every way possible that entire series.

What I took away from the article…

“The Lightning gave their blessing to Coors, the official beer of the team, to brew with the rink ice”

Gave their blessing? I’m sure it was tough to give up the ice shavings from the zamboni. There is such a huge market for spent rink ice.

Steele said he hopes the unique brew brings Lightning fans to bars and other establishments that are still rebounding from the economic hit taken during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We really wanted to help support the businesses in Tampa Bay as they bounce back,"

Yes I’m sure you’re unique beer will be the reason people flock to bars after your local team wins the cup. They definitely wouldn’t be going out otherwise…

3. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't get it. Were they also collecting shavings from Montreal's home ice in case the Canadiens won, or were they all in on the Bolts from the git-go? :thinking_face: This has got to be one of the stupidest gimmicks I've ever heard of, and that includes stuffed stoats.

4. monstershu

monstershu Crusader (426) Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

In order to turn it around quickly for the Lightning's victory, Steele said Coors brewed "a high gravity version of Coors Light" with between 7% and 8% alcohol, which was then blended down to 4.2% using the water collected from the rink.

"That allowed us to cut significant time out from the brewing process, which is a few weeks," he said.

Awesome. Watered down beer. Sounds delicious. Couldn’t they just leave it alone?

5. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Or throwing turkeys from a helicopter. Les Nessman and Barney Fife are from the same planet.

6. muck1979

muck1979 Zealot (531) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I wonder if Olympia's trademark of "It's the Water" is available?

7. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tumwater at that....

Singlefinpin and kemoarps like this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Don't be ridiculous. That was Molson doing that, so either way MC got the ice. :grin:

High gravity-brewing is how most of the macro beers are created these days. Specifics are, of course, difficult to come by but Coors Brewing Co. has admitted doing at least since the 1990s after a lawsuit by AB over ad claims.[​IMG]
    (At the time, Coors' new Virginia-based facility was not yet a brewery, just a packaging plant.)

#8 jesskidden, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  9. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Pooh-Bah (1,866) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Used rink ice. Sounds almost as appetizing as beard yeast.

10. TheHammer

TheHammer Pooh-Bah (2,050) Feb 15, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

So....a beer that may have flecks of skate metal, drops of sweat from players, paint (although that's doubtful), microscopic bits of rubber, hockey tape, stick material in it and whatever the heck the Zamboni's pump may or may not have in it? No thanks

and if the response is, "well we filtered it" my response is "So I'm paying more for distilled water beer?"

11. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

...spit, blood, hair, teeth...

12. digitalflood

digitalflood Maven (1,416) Feb 4, 2011 New York

This is the most Coors thing to do ever.... truly impressed and not in a good way. :nauseated_face:

13. ntorch

ntorch Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2005 New York

Singlefinpin likes this.
  14. JBogan

JBogan Pooh-Bah (1,837) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Somebody needs to call a 5 minute major on Coors for doing that.

15. sisyphus969

sisyphus969 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2013 California

lol, you do realize that guys are spitting and snotting on the ice with some blood mixed in, if you are confident that this is removed prior to drinking then enjoy!

16. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Like growlers, but they are giant 32 ounce cans.

17. Bertdil

Bertdil Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2014 California

I can't believe they found a way to make Coors Light worse.

18. sherillc

sherillc Crusader (439) Jan 17, 2016 Canada (ON)

I already found Coors beer disgusting before it contained hockey player sweat, snot, and spit. Congratulations on making an even worse version of bad beer guys!

19. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am not a Lighting fan. I am not a hockey fan. But, I am a huge fan of a professional sports team (New York Giants). If the Giants are to ever win another Super Bowl in my lifetime (not looking good) and then Coors makes a beer in honor of their win or with an ingredient that somehow was connected to that win, I would likely buy it, drink it, and, even if it tasted like complete ass, enjoyed the experience.

20. Beerchum

Beerchum Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2017 California

NOTE: that's how Big-Boy beer is made all the time. Perhaps not with 7-8% to start, but they always over-shoot it then water it down to make a "perfect", consistent final-ABV (in this case 4.2%).

"Blending" with super-bowl winners' after-game shower-water still seems like a bad idea, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.