Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

RIP: 50bbls of Hardywood Bourbon Gingerbread Stout

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Todd, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,527) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

[​IMG]
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=614149535311235&l=c9bcba820b

2. GorillaFistBrewing

GorillaFistBrewing Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 Virginia

Sad, sad news. RIP BBGBS.

3. Shilt

Shilt Disciple (395) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Think it was a 60BBLs batch. Meaning 10 remian. They usually send some out to distro and also keg some. I would expect the bottle limit to change from 2 to 1, and it will be gone very quickly on release day this Saturday. Total bummer.

4. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Aspirant (295) Nov 20, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

What a terrible, terrible day for Hardywood and its fans. Guess I will not be getting any this year. Good luck guys!

5. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

Well, there goes my Saturday. I was going to go to Black Sheep too.

6. cubanbeerguy

cubanbeerguy Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

7. codasnap52

codasnap52 Aspirant (258) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

NOOOOO! I'm actually coming down from CT to visit Richmond/Hardywood/Mekong next weekend and was planning on hunting one down to open at my bottle share group's Christmas event! It doesn't look like I will have any luck finding it at the brewery or on shelves by then. If ANYONE can get me a bottle I'd be happy to meet up next weekend in Richmond and make an IP trade (particularly if you would like to meet at Mekong Saturday night!).

Please Msg me and lets see if we can work something out. I've got a pretty good cellar of rocking NE brews. Thanks!

8. Hubarooski

Hubarooski Initiate (0) May 15, 2013 Florida

Dang, my chance of trading for some probably went down the drain too

9. Shilt

Beer Trader

Still gonna be a two bottle limit from what I've been told. Will likely sell out at the pre-sale, or just shortly after the brewery opens. They will also have it on tap at the brewery that day.

10. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

imo, this beer is better without the barrel treatment anyway.

bushycook, flipdog0 and HighWine like this.
  11. BeastLU

BeastLU Disciple (326) Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

Agreed, but hate to see these guys lose all that product....

flipdog0 likes this.
  12. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

absolutely true. didn't mean to sound so callous.

13. Iremembernothng

Iremembernothng Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013

very sorry to hear that guys! i'll still try to stop by early to snag what was salvaged.

14. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (602) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Hardywood was able to save about 18bbls worth total.
    now, minus the kegs and casks that were filled....

15. Shilt

Beer Trader

You hear a bottle count Nic? Or a rough estimate? I really don't want wait in line at 9am as others are talking about doing...

16. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (371) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Supporter Subscriber

I'm also curious what time you'd have to get in line to be assured of snagging at least one bottle. Also, is there any chance they'll have regular GBS bottles for sale as well?

17. ncaudle

Beer Trader

no idea on bottle count. hope it's not gonna be a shit show in the morning

18. mjord23

mjord23 Initiate (186) Jan 3, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I planning to get down there sometime around 10-10:30 tomorrow. Hopefully that's early enough...

19. smcgowan70

smcgowan70 Initiate (0) May 30, 2007 Virginia

I'll preface this comment by stating I'm an asshole suffering from sour grapes. But I showed up on the BGBS release day last year at the tail end of the 2/3 hour morning pre-sale. They still had plenty of bottles available, but arbitrarily decided to stop selling them prior to their advertised ending time and held them for the main release event (which I couldn't stay for) later that day.

I gotta admit, I'm sorta enjoying the schadenfreude here. Did I mention that I'm an asshole?

20. ncaudle

Beer Trader

^Butters?

21. BeastLU

BeastLU Disciple (326) Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

If they indeed did save 18 barrels, they should have a decent amount for release. I know very little was sent out for distro so that minus what ever they set aside on draft for the event. If they bottle only 4 bbls that about 600 bottles. 300 people getting the limit.

22. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (151) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

What's the line looking like? Grabbing some food at Sidewalk, then headed that way

23. ncaudle

Beer Trader

about 40 in line

24. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (151) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Pretty lengthy now, maybe 300-400

25. Maltytasker

Maltytasker Initiate (156) Oct 7, 2007 Virginia

Didn't see the line quite that long but it was the longest I've seen there . The Hardywood folks were great . Was very organized . Good food off the trucks too . Not sure about bottle count but would guess they sold less than 1000 .

Had the BBGBS on tap side by side with the GBS . Was definitely liking the BB better this year . The ginger and bourbon worked well together and had a nice cinnamon presence . It's a real shame that they lost so much . You coudn't tell it though from how the staff acted . Very friendly and professional .

Also picked up some Great Return west coast IPA in 16oz cans . Tasty stuff . They even went around selling singles to people waiting in line .

richardflyr and mjord23 like this.
  26. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

I've made one trip UP to Hardywood (for the GBS release this year) and it saddens my heart to hear of such an income sucking error. I was treated VERY WELL the one time I was there and my thoughts are that this does not damper this incredible breweries spirits. On a personal level, I know that I'll have to trade my 1st born son and 8 bottles of Grey Monday to secure one of these rare whales. Cheerz to Hardywood Park from RedNeckBeerz !!

27. l1fted

l1fted Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2005 Virginia

It was a great release for what happened and I had a blast. Was really glad to meet some cool people at Mekong afterwards as well!

28. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

MEKONG ????? you sunz uh beach !!! You not only had to mention that YOU were @ Hardywood BUT (by gawd) that I also missed out on MEKONG ???? I hope Santa brings you a FAT AZZ sack of coal !!

brother_kenneth likes this.
  29. l1fted

l1fted Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2005 Virginia

I went all by myself. I had to make up for not making GBS when you came up.

brother_kenneth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.