RIP Deep Ellum

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by seanunreal, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (117) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Mike drop...

2. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Not sure why, but I was compelled to look at what Deep Ellum is up to these days. I haven't been there since last February, for obvious reasons. I was curious if they were open and, if so, what was on their typically lager-heavy and bad ass tap list. Turns out, they are closed. Perhaps you all have already mourned the loss of Deep Ellum and I'm late to the game.

This makes me sad. Deep Ellum wasn't a place I went to regularly, but it was a a place I tried to hit whenever I was in the area. Their tap list was the absolute best (and I once got a pour of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year there!). Yummy food too. Anyways, just wanted to say that I'm really sorry to hear that this place is gone.

3. Apathetiq

Apathetiq Aspirant (277) Sep 10, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

It was one of my regular spots as well, a truly fantastic beer list and charcuterie program. I'm actually quite hopeful that they might just swap concept spaces with Lone Star. It makes total financial sense to have the taco joint be in the larger space: tacos are cheaper to make, and margaritas run a better CoGs.

I reckon it would be cheaper to just switch the beer lines (maybe add a Lukr) to the old Lone Star Side than to rip down the wall and build out a cohesive space. It will also then feel like drinking in a narrow but loud space like Proletariat or a nook in Belgium. Love that atmosphere!

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and Providence like this.
  4. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,621) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Yeah sucks. Deep Ellum may have had the most smartly CURATED tap list I ever saw around. It wasn’t about just piling tickerific beers onto the menu. They understood menu balance, quality over hype, selection vs brevity...

5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Just swing by, I have some. :grin:

But seriously, you can usually find Pappy (not for cheap mind you) at restaurants. Rosebud and Smokeshop usually have it, but I forget what years.

Smokeshop has a Pappy flight last I checked.

This description reminds me of the Monk's Cell at Publick House.

Providence likes this.
  6. Providence

Trader

There’s a place in providence that had them. I think it’s like $100 for an ounce of the 23 year. Maybe more. Either way, no thanks.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  7. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,191) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

'Like' PTX Lounge on FB - they occasionally have Pappy or Old Rip. JR's pretty fair.

8. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

This is true. I'll miss Deep Ellum too. They often had a cask ale in the early days, and just a fantastic range of brews for the adventurous. Sloshed it into your glass and made a production of the cocktail mixing. Unique vibe.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  9. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (117) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I agree, one of the most interesting tap lists in the area.
    Max, one of the owners, thought the hazy IPA craze was a bit silly, so often, very few of those.

10. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't really drink bourbon anymore, but I remember years ago when they sold this at Shaw's, crazy how prices have exploded.

Providence and AlcahueteJ like this.
  11. AlcahueteJ

Society

Picked up my 15 year Pappy at a local liquor store for $100.

GonzoHomebrewer likes this.
  12. Providence

Trader

When was that?

13. AlcahueteJ

Society

Probably at least 5 years ago at this point.

And I lucked into it. I was buying beer at my local in Somerville and they had the bottles lined up, ready to tweet out that they were releasing it.

Right place, right time. They always sell it at retail price too. I think the 15 year at retail is maybe about $150 now, the bigger issue is finding it at a store. Then of course you have the places that will gouge the shit out of it because it’s Pappy.

If I’m being honest there’s better bourbon out there that’s way easier to obtain. As is the case with most things...we know this with beer.

meefmoff, sjverla and Providence like this.
  14. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sadly even the easier to get stuff is creeping into the truck chasing realm now. Was it really only a year ago I could buy Weller for $25 any time I wanted?

GonzoHomebrewer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

Society

Yup. Sucks.

I was talking offline with @Providence about Blanton’s. It’s a damn shame.

Good thing I love Scotch more. Plus, it’s Redbreast season for this guy, that stuff drinks like water (only really tasty dehydrating water).

meefmoff, Providence and trevorpost like this.
  16. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Aspirant (233) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

If you're a Scotch guy and find yourself in the Norfolk area, go check out Norfolk Wine and Spirits. Their Scotch selection is ridiculous. I've spent WAY too much money there.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

Society

Oh jeez, despite being known around here for "not caring about price", Scotch can seriously test those limits, and I don't need to be tempted!

meefmoff and TheMattJones88 like this.
  18. TheMattJones88

Trader

My wife said I could buy a nice bottle of Scotch the last time we were there, we're trying to watch our booze spending. She was not thrilled when it rang up at $130 when we checked out.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

Society

Oh shit man, yeah it's so easy to do that with Scotch. My buddies and I split a nice bottle of Scotch 3 or 4 ways every New Year's Eve (not this year obviously). It's a "cheap" way to have a solid $180-200ish bottle of Scotch.

20. TheMattJones88

Trader

Oh nice! This one in particular was a Signatory Vintage Cask Strength Caol Ila 9yr. I still have some pull with my wife seeing as she once dropped $400 on two bottles of rum, hah.

With hard liquor I find it's easier to play the extrapolated price game, i.e. "Well, this bottle has 25 drinks in it, and if you divide the price by 25 it's cheaper than beer!"

AirBob and AlcahueteJ like this.
  21. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Irish Whiskey typically gets lost in the shuffle with me for whatever reason, but that Redbreast is indeed incredibly tasty and smooth stuff!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

Society

Probably because Scotch and Bourbon far outnumber Irish Whiskey on the shelves.

I doubt many people think, “You know what, I want to get a top shelf bottle of Whiskey, let me pick up some Yellow Spot”.

23. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (279) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Went to Smoke Shop after Cambridge Brewing this week and they had a flight of 3 different Redbreasts. Good stuff.

SunDevilBeer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  24. trevorpost

trevorpost Meyvn (1,438) Aug 3, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

100% Yellow spot deserves that sort of treatment. Absolute cracker of a whiskey. Think I paid ~10GBP for a dram in Belfast a couple years back and felt like I was getting away with something. Which while probably true as far as exploitation goes, may encapsulate the Hiberno-American experience over there in general.

Lovely town though, everyone should go to the Sunflower. Basically a perfect pub for my money.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

Society

I've actually never had it! But for sure, it has the reputation as a top shelf whiskey. I guess my only point was, a top shelf Irish Whiskey doesn't tend to be where one's head goes in my experience when contemplating a "nicer" bottle to purchase.

It's typically a bourbon or Scotch, and these days a Japanese Whiskey. Irish Whiskey gets left all alone, and it's a shame because Redbreast is probably one of my favorite whiskies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.