RIP Events (Calendar)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,603) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Over the last few years, and despite it being a free service, we've seen a significant decline in the industry (and subsequently our users) using our Events section. It seems that most businesses nowadays want to limit their promotional efforts to Facebook, Instagram, and the like. I get it, and we can't compete with a company that's worth nearly $500 billon and has a userbase in the billions. But that's left us with an empty calendar, and it wasn't a good look.

So, effective immediately, we're no longer accepting new calendar entries. I've updated our FAQ and added a new rule for forum posting, and the Events section will focus on promoting our events.

All of that said, we do plan on revisiting all of this sometime next year.

For those of you in the industry who were actively using our events calendar, we thank you for your past support. If you'd like to continue to spread the word about your events, please take a look at our advertising options and help support what we do.

Thanks,

2. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (75) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

That's really to bad. Like you said I can understand it to a degree. But you'd hope that breweries could see the benefit of posting on the event calendar. I mean this is a platform dedicated to nothing but beer. I for one would see a definitive benefit in using the service, especially considering you graciously offered it for free.

3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (838) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Used to look at it a lot more back in the day, but haven't for quite some time. Mostly because beer festivals or brewery special releases aren't something at which I'm interested in spending my time.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  4. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,923) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Premium Trader

As is evident by only three responses the feature was under utilized. I too will miss it, and thought it was a good feature. And agree that resources should be balanced to the actual effectiveness rather than potential.