RIP Summerfest

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gyorgymarlowe, Dec 25, 2020.

1. jasonmason

jasonmason Aspirant (213) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

I'm not going to stop drinking Sierra Nevada by any means...but I'm also not going to buy a trend chasing "session hazy IPA", especially one that replaces Summerfest.

Net result, SN will have less of my money. Whether that's an issue to them is their prerogative; there is no shortage of other great beer for me to spend my money on nowadays.

2. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (491) Mar 5, 2014 New York

That stinks. Although I never bought any last year so hard for me to complain.

Seems like problem with big brewery like SN is that they can not do small runs of these sessional beers so if stores can not sell a pallet quickly they get phased out.

gyorgymarlowe likes this.
  3. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,563) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I'm just going to stick to my favorite hazy Sierra Nevada beer... Kellerweis. :slight_smile:

4. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (158) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Another hazy IPA I can ignore.

5. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,479) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I was never a big fan of Summerfest but, all these years later, I am still butt-hurt by the discontinuation of Tumbler. So, I get how you Summerfest fans feel.

In general, it sucks to see SN chasing the trends. Honestly, hazy IPAs are best left to the hyper-local micros that brew 25 different IPA variants ever year and only distro out of their own brewery.

SN does "hoppy" fairly well but they do a lot well. Balance in flavors and styles has always been their hallmark. They should stick to it.

chuckstout, KentT, TrojanRB and 9 others like this.
  6. thegodfather2701

thegodfather2701 Crusader (792) Nov 3, 2005 North Carolina

I was just thinking the other day how I was looking forward to Summerfest next year. I’m very disappointed especially since it’s being replaced by another IPA and a session one at that! Hopefully this isn’t a sign 2021 will be as bad as 2020. It’s crazy to think that in May I’ll be saying at least I had Summerfest last year.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  7. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (164) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

BUMMER nothing else to say.

8. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,911) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Once my homebrewer Pilsners ran out this summer, we drank a lot of Summerfest and Bells Lager of the Lakes. At least the Bell's should be around when I run out of my own.

9. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,685) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Probably the biggest bottom line for every brewery these days (see my gripe about the overwhelming labels on shelves in another thread).

10. dele

dele Initiate (119) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Poor decision. Sierra Nevada will be getting less of my money in 2021.

I have appreciated SN because besides making good beer, they have seemed to care more for tradition and do a better job looking out for their core customers than the other brewers of their size. It is disappointing to see them moving away from that business model and chasing new dollars rather than making sure they keep the customers they already have, @SierraTerence.

11. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,817) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

"Hoppy" has always been their hallmark.

officerbill, Jacobier10 and steveh like this.
  12. steveh

Society

I'm not so sure they're chasing "new" money so much as chasing their share.

As many fans as there are expressing their sadness over the discontinuation of Summerfest here, it just wasn't selling.

Just more fad-followers than traditionalists (like me) out there.

13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,321) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo for $13.99 a 12 pack is always going to get my business. The dating has been fine with me. The beer business writ large is a fickle group of fickle entities.

TrojanRB, Jaycase and steveh like this.
  14. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (73) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

I picked up at least a 6 of Summerfest every summer. Sierra Nevada is my favorite brewery. But in recent years I drank a lot more of more flavorful pilsners such as Crux Pilz and Buoy Czech Style Pilsner. As for SN lagers, I preferred Nooner Pilsner that disappeared a few years ago. I am a bit disappointed but not surprised to see Summerfest replaced with a hazy "session" IPA, which I am not likely to purchase. I won't be seeking out that nectarine beer either.

#54 chimneyjim, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  15. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,405) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

SN does hoppy well but it's mostly older stuff - Pale Ale, Celebration, Torpedo, Hoptimum, Northern Hemisphere, and (I will admit) now Dankful. Anything remotely hazy by them though is pedestrian.

TrojanRB and SierraTerence like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It has been well over a year since I had a pint of Hazy Little Things so my beer memory is not fresh here so I won’t discuss the beer’s sensory qualities.

Likely the most alluring aspect of that beer to the Sierra Nevada CEO (Jeff White) is the sales growth of that beer. @jesskidden discussed this in a past thread:

“Last figure I saw for HLT was it accounted for around 25% of SN's income…

“Hazy Little Things is supposedly the only SN beer that is growing in triple digits…”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...maria-stipp-as-ceo.646309/page-2#post-7016498

It would be my personal preference for Sierra Nevada to just continue to grow the one brand of Hazy Little Things but it seems that Jeff White feels there is a need to expand the number of Hazy IPA brands now.

Cheers!

17. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,395) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I had a Summerfest 2 days ago. Still tasting good. I bought a bunch last summer and have been having one every week or so. Only 2 left and I'll miss it when it is gone. Always have SNPA in the fridge and there are a couple Torpedos and a Hoptimum.

Troeg's Sunshine Pils is always in the fridge for a reasonably priced go to lager.

Now that Lawson's is in the Pittsburgh area; they've been getting a lot of my business. More Lawson's in my beer fridge right now than any other brand.

TrojanRB and officerbill like this.
  18. Providence

Providence Champion (829) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Same here. I loaded up on both each season they cane round. This stinks.

Prep8611 likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

Including Scrag Mountain Pils?

[​IMG]

20. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Why is this surprising? Haven't all fests been cancelled in the covid era?

Harrison8, pudgym29, Sheppard and 6 others like this.
  21. steveh

Society

I think you may have hit on something there.

officerbill likes this.
  22. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,690) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Thats a bummer. Been buying that since its release and always complaining to my local that they didnt have cans. Definitely not interested in a hazy session. I wonder if having to take up more space in lagering with a beer that wasnt moving had anything to do with it. Im sure there was alot into making the decision but bottom line if it aint selling they're not brewing it. Too bad.
    No tangerine beer for me but I will always buy PA. And Dankful is a good brew.
    Oh and BTW how much earlier will we see spring seasonals?

23. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Disciple (374) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

I think it has more to sure with age groups. The new craft beer drinkers (early to late 20's) want to drink something different everyday. There's no loyalty in when it comes to craft beer. The WOW breweries seem to be thriving with their murky ipas and heavily fruited sours. I mean most small new breweries don't even have a year round lineup and they don't want to have one

24. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Poo-Bah (1,816) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I did my part to keep it around, it was a summer go to beer.

25. steveh

Society

Same here... whenever our freaking distro "allowed." :angry::rolling_eyes:

goingbrokeonbeer likes this.
  26. Tucquan

Society Trader

Yes, I have that in my fridge right now. Really, really good but I can't get it in Pittsburgh; at least not yet. Bought a case in Lancaster when I was there recently for a socially-distant family visit. We did get Lawson's Hopzilla here in November, which I thought was excellent. Basically the line up is Super Session and Sip of Sunshine plus a rotating couple other brews every 2 weeks; for example Fayston Maple Imperial Stout and Chinooker'd IPA this month.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  27. Tucquan

Society Trader

BTW, all of these Lawson's beers in Pittsburgh have been really fresh; sometimes less than a week old from the canning date but never more than 2-3 weeks.

PGHPABeerdrinker and AlcahueteJ like this.
  28. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (164) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Same here I would buy a case as soon as it appeared in the stores.

AlcahueteJ and goingbrokeonbeer like this.
  29. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (105) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

R.I.P. Old Friend...

30. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Which is why I was never a big fan of either Summerfest or the SN stout. Both were lessened by being “west coast style”.

BMBCLT likes this.
  31. steveh

Society

Agreed in the Stout (and Porter), not so much on the Summerfest. If you haven't tried Prima in a while -- don't. That one is hopped up more than Summerfest ever was.

32. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,319) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The writing was on the wall with Summerfest, and replacing it with yet another hazy IPA can't really be a shock ... as much as so many here (myself included) wish that weren't the case.

CBlack85, FBarber and readyski like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Wait, you think that sn porter is overly hopped?

TrojanRB likes this.
  34. steveh

Society

I don't like the hops used with either Porter or Stout -- to my palate they just don't pair well with the roasted malts.

I've felt that way from day one. Still drank my share, but couldn't drink too many at a time.

35. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe Disciple (324) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Society Trader

Are you referring to the updated Prima recipe? Victory reduced the IBUs. I'm not sure if it helped for those who found it too hoppy. Has anyone tried Prima alongside an IPL?

36. steveh

Society

Probably. After all of the discussion in one of the other threads I tried a six (best by 3/12/21). Reduced IBU? Didn't compare at all to the Prima I reviewed years ago -- couldn't find any malt in balance at all, as I could with Summerfest.

gyorgymarlowe likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

Prima is not even in the 'ball park' with any of the IPL beers I have consumed. All of the IPL beers I have had (and it has been quite a number) are notably higher in ABV and the hop aroma/flavor of those beers were greatly elevated in comparison.

Cheers!

P.S. I drank a Prima Pils last evening while watching football.

38. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,194) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Interesting, I known what you're saying about the stout and its what I love about it. But I can definitely see how the floral/evergreen hop character paired with the roasted malts is not peoples' bag o grass in the stout. But I've never noticed it in the porter at all.

May have to arrange a side by side. I'm pretty sure I can get founders porter reasonably fresh and probably Sam Smith too (though freshness more questionable). Would either of those work as a control to your palate?

39. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I like others on this thread have bought less Summerfest each year. It is not due to any issue with it but due to the amazing lagers by OMB at my doorstep. SN remains relevant and THRIVING due to adapting to the current environment.

As long as Celebration keeps getting cranked out, I will be forever the most ardent SN fan boy. I also cannot wait to get back to the Mills River Brewery when it seems like the right time.

Harrison8 likes this.
  40. steveh

Society

Sam Smith is more traditional and definitely tastes different than SN, but why not try Anchor Porter in the side-by. That became far more of a favorite for me.

Not sure I ever had Founders -- looks like I have, and liked it. Found it very roasty without that hop clash. Might be good in a side-by.

And to me it was more the citrus that clashed with the roasted malts. To which, I'm not sure the Porter even follows the same recipe it did when I was drinking it in the late 80s and early 90s.