Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Road trip to Florida!

Discussion in 'South' started by Stevedore, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Going to be taking a road trip with the family from Michigan down to Florida; 2 days of driving each way. So I'll be passing through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia enroute to Florida. What suggestions do you BAs have for stops along the way, especially near Louisville, Nashville, Atlanta?

2. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Jun 18, 2012 Kentucky

I'm in Lexington, KY so I would recommend Country Boy Brewing, West 6th Brewing for breweries and Shenanigan's/Beer Trappe for beer stores.

For Louisville I would recommend Holy Grale and Against the Grain (both have food, AtG also brews) and then Louisville Beer Store.

3. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Thanks, I'm going to plan on checking out either Holy Grale or Against the Grain while we're in Louisville. Anyone have suggestions for Atlanta and Nashville?

4. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Jun 18, 2012 Kentucky

I'd pick Holy Grale first. It's more of a gastropub type.

5. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Feb 2, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

If you're coming down I75, I'd recommend a quick stop by Swamp Head in Gainesville, FL. Taproom is open 4-8 Tu-Sa. You can literally see it off the interstate

6. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Do they have a lot of bottles or just stuff on tap? Might stop by on my trip down to Tampa.

7. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Feb 2, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

They only bottle special releases and there haven't been any of those for about a year. You can still find bottles of their Barleywine collab with Cigar City but those shops are a few miles in from I75

8. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Damn. Ok.

I'm trying to get more bottles of other breweries besides Cigar City and Ballast Point when I go but it seems a lot of the Florida breweries are draft only or out of the way.

9. DavidDulock

DavidDulock Dec 22, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

For Atlanta:
    Bars: Brickstore Pub, Porter Beer Bar, The Fred Bar
    BottleShops: Tower, Greene's (especially greene's on ponce-has a beer cellar section)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe