Rockport MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by nineball, Aug 19, 2013.

1. nineball

nineball Mar 19, 2013 New York

Hey all- the wife and I are in Rockport for vacation this week and I was just wondering if there are any "beer destinations" to check out? Ill be stopping in Boston on the way home on Friday to visit my bro and will hit the usual spots there.
    Thanks fellas (and ladies)!

2. huuvola

huuvola Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Until a few years ago, Rockport was a totally dry town (no liquor stores; no bars; not even wine in restaurants). They still have no bars (and no liquor stores, that I know of), but they've relaxed the rules SLIGHTLY, allowing you to purchase a beer or wine in a restaurant if you are also buying food. So, in short, there's not much in Rockport.

And you should stock up before you get up that way. Closest you'll find is in Gloucester.

Providence likes this.
  3. blckout20

blckout20 May 24, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Cape Ann Brewing in Gloucester is maybe 15 minutes away at most. They have a pretty nice tasting room on the waterfront. That might be your best bet.

4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Jan 8, 2012 Chad

On the way back (assuming you're going 128) I highly recommend checking out Redstone Liquors in Stoneham.

In Boston - Trillium's Fort Point Pale (growler only) is fantastic.

polishkaz and Ganglani like this.
  5. franklinn

franklinn May 29, 2012 Vermont

Check out Cape Ann brewing, decent place. There are a few decent craft selections in Gloucester, but you won't find anything in Rockport. I havn't lived in the area for quite a few years now, but I'll see if I can't get some good spots from some friends. Cheers

6. RichD

RichD Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I've never been, but I'd recommend going to the Ipswich brewery. They're supposed to have a great Oatmeal stout. It's slightly north west of Rockport and it's an actual brewery.

P.S. Tyrone Biggums for the wing. Cocaine in a can, baby!!!

7. huuvola

huuvola Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Ipswich isn't yet open for tours because they just moved into a new brewery. Hopefully they'll be open for visitors sometime this year. This Facebook post from June has a little insight.

8. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

In rockport I would suggest the hot dogs at Top Dog. ;)

JohnnyP likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe