Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Thickfreakness, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Oct 2, 2010 New York

My local Zymurgist is going to be brewing a Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout soon... anyone else ever done this? What should I expect? I'm not even sure I wanna be around for this one! Points for experimentalism and out and out BALLS (Pun intended)! I can't imagine the Bull parts will actually add that much to the taste, but what do I know. Thoughts?
    thanks...

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

That's nuts.

Rau71, Jimjohson, KevSal and 5 others like this.
  3. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

It's real. A bit gimmicky, but I'd probably try it. Heck, we eat chorizo here, how back can RMO stout be? :rolleyes:

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Rocky Mountain Oysters are actually tasty as hell. They remind me of a creamy calamari when they are done right. I could see said ingredient adding texture to the brew in the same way lactose does, or a high mash temp.

And yeah, it was an April fools joke initially and came to be a real brew around last years GABF.

6. premierpro

premierpro Mar 21, 2009 Michigan
    Subscriber

I think I would rather have them on a plate with a beer then in my beer!

7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Nov 21, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

Sounds like a perfect recipe to get Jack off the beer and on the wagon.

Jimjohson likes this.
  8. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Dec 26, 2012 Georgia

Puts a whole new spin on the name "Beernuts".

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  9. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Good head retention?

10. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Wyncoop had this one on tap for a while, and I was at the parade of darks that they hosted when they first made the beer. I stopped at their booth, but couldn't bring myself to try it. Sounded super gimmicky and pointless.

"3 balls per barrell"- I doubt that would add any flavor whatsoever anyway. That's such a tiny amount of something that woudln't probably impart much flavor without a ton of it in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe