Rogue Voodoo Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnMaier, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Grand Pooh-Bah (3,195) Sep 24, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Shakespeare - 94 rating on 1,480 reviews.
    Hazelnut Nectar - 91 rating on 1,259 reviews.
    Chocolate Stout - 94 rating on 1,767 reviews.
    Morimoto Imperial Pilsner - 91 rating on 312 reviews.
    Brutal Bitter - 91 rating on 10,27 reviews.
    IIPA - 92 rating on 747 reviews.
    Old Crustacean - 90 rating on 676 reviews.
    Dead Guy - 89 rating on 2,144 reviews.
    Imperial Stout - 91 rating on 809 reviews.
    etc, etc, etc.

Sounds like he makes better than ok "real" beer to me.

2. canucklehead

canucklehead Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2003 Canada (BC)

Props to John for being at Rogue for 25 years. His Skull Splitter was a revelation when no one knew what a Cascadian Dark Ale was at the time.

3. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Will try this one for sure, as a homebrewer I want to try all the possibilities, especially ones, like this, that I never would have dreamed of doing.

Rogue takes shit on this site for a lot of things, almost like Magic Hat does, and deservedly in some cases, but let's face it, Rogue was putting fine beer on shelf in styles most folks had never heard of nor tried, and at a time when most of our other American brewers were in fourth grade, and they are still out there competing in the arena they helped construct. Dead Guy Ale, a maibock ferrpitysake, and Shakespeare Stout have stood the test of time and many reviews, and still shine as beacons of excellence in their styles though many have tried knocking them down the hill.

Cheers to still pushing the envelope all these years later.

4. Spamsammich

Spamsammich Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2010 Illinois

So much this.

5. sinstaineddemon

sinstaineddemon Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2006 Connecticut

I seem to be in the minority, but I enjoyed VMBD. It was far smokier than I expected, but as a fan of Rauchbier I enjoyed it.
    Keep brewing for you and lets us in on your genius/madness and I'll be gracious to try them with an open mind appreciative of the process.

6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Never understood any hate for Rogue or any other brewer for that matter.
    They make beer. Really? How can you hate anyone or anything associated with that. Like driving a beer truck. Can't crash it.
    Drink what you want and leave the rest alone.

NABS and obrike like this.
  7. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Pundit (991) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I honestly can't understand why anyone would go after the brewmaster for brewery's business practices. I don't know all the inner workings at Rogue, but I generally think of the brewmaster as the creative influence of a brewery. There is no way would make the claim that John does not make some good beer. It's not like the mainstay of Rogue's line up is experimental in nature either. People really make some serious generalizations over Voodoo. I will say that I do not buy a lot of Rogue offerings, but mainly because I find other offerings fit better within my beer budget.

vthippie likes this.
  8. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2009 Vermont

Fail for you. Consider that people have different tastes, and what you find delicious, he may find "middle of the road."

9. Myst279

Myst279 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012

What exactly makes a beer normal? In my personal beer drinking experience, beer is exciting because there are so many different individual recipes and styles out there. Even if you find a few favorites, that doesn't take away from making beer an adventure and trying something completely new.... and possibly awful.... or great.

sinstaineddemon likes this.
  10. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Can't understand why more brewers don't feel inclined to post on this site more often.....some of you should have a Snickers break, ya'll got sand in your vaginas.
    :slight_frown:

NABS, obrike and DonDirkA like this.
  11. Franch

Franch Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia

it IS a great donut - but so was maple bacon..

travismiller80 and JohnB87 like this.
  12. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2011 New Jersey

I work at a mom and pop shop in point pleasent nj and the support from rogue was awesome. This year alone we've done over 20 cases of voodoo bacon maple ale shipped directly to us from you guys! Hope this brew comes out tasting just as well!

checktherhyme likes this.
  13. effyeaAB

effyeaAB Initiate (0) May 28, 2012 New York

Taking into consideration that Rogue has been brewing for the last 25 years I honestly believe the team over there has earned the full right to produce whatever beer they chose to brew.

People calling them out and saying they should concentrate on making "good" beer are exhibiting ignorance and an overall lack of respect not just to John whom is being really cool for sharing information with us on here but to one of the breweries that has paved the way to help make the craft beer community what it is today.

NABS, DonDirkA and obrike like this.
  14. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Just when I think you couldn't get any crazier, you totally redeem yourself!

NABS likes this.
  15. czfreeman

czfreeman Initiate (0) May 22, 2007 California

k..bananas are are good.Bacon is good. Maple is good, peanut butter is good..but where do you draw the line?I work as a chef, and been an assistant brewer the past year...sometimes less is more..
    I like experimental beers and food..but I'm not going to brew a teriyaki shrimp honey blueberry truffle lemon captain crunch bacon beer just because I like all of the ingredients

16. Brad007

Brad007 Pooh-Bah (2,797) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

I loved the Bacon Maple Ale and I have had every single Rogue offering that could be found around here.

Haters are going to hate I guess.

17. chuckstout

chuckstout Crusader (419) May 22, 2006 Ohio

I DONT THINK SO!

18. obrike

obrike Savant (1,153) Jun 19, 2009 Texas

perfect...just perfect.

itsthepleats and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  19. BGsWo22

BGsWo22 Maven (1,492) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

Did I really see that someone likes Yellow Snow?

I am really looking forward to the redemption expected by the Peanut Butter Voodoo Doughnut. The Bacon Maple I had was like drinking liquid smoke, although it smelled amazing and the bottle I have still smells amazing.

Hopefully it lives up to the name and also Double Dead GUy

20. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Grand Pooh-Bah (3,195) Sep 24, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Check post # 62. If one thinks Rogue's traditional offerings are "the middle of the road" it doesn't make one wrong, but it does make one in the minority. That those ratings are that high despite all the flack Rogue gets on here makes those ratings all the more meaningful.

Rathakem and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.