Root + Branch Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Shawn_Sins, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (311) Jul 24, 2010 New York

We must establish a Cartesian standard before we can formulate a Spinozian critique!

2. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,199) Jan 6, 2014 New York

The newest batch of Dead Men on Holiday is ridiculous. Dank-ass pineapple/passion fruit. Drinks like it’s 6%, 6.5% tops. Excellent job @xenjoiii as always.

TheseGoTo11 and beertrip like this.
  3. xenjoiii

I’m glad to hear! I’m much happier with this batch.

On another note, I secured enough South African Southern Passion hops yesterday to brew two beers.

cavedave, frozyn, yossle and 4 others like this.
  4. JimmyCandles

JimmyCandles Initiate (25) Nov 20, 2017 Massachusetts

Hey all, apologies if this has been discussed or if i just missed this on the website or instagram, but do these guys distribute/where can i get the beer? My buddy said he had a can and it was one of the best IPAs he’s ever had.

I’ll be in the LI/NYC area and was hoping to be able to pick up a 4pk or two. Many thanks.

5. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

They still do some limited distribution, but the drops aren't consistent. You should be able to find their stuff on tap around here though if you look them up on Beermenus.com.

6. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Is Nightmare Brewing affiliated with Root and Branch?

7. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (319) Jun 25, 2016 New York

I don’t think so. I think the brewer also brews for Sand City.

guinness77 likes this.
  8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,335) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

They're both producing at Great South Bay... but maybe you already knew that. (I don't know if there is a relationship beyond that.)
    You mean the Nightmare brewer?

9. guinness77

Yes. The new stout is unreal.

10. guinness77

Follow their Instagram page. That’s the best advice I got. They’ve been contract brewing at GSB but they should be in the Copaigue area sometime next year, probably close to Summer, hopefully.

11. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (100) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

Finally had the chance to try Root and Branch this past weekend at the Juicy Brews festival. Dead Men on Holiday was one of, if not the standouts of the day for me, and there was some serous competition there with breweries like Triple Crossing, The Answer, Hudson Valley, Equilibrium, Burley Oak, Civil Society, etc... really good DIPA. Hope I come across them more frequently

12. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,104) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Are releases only announced on Instagram? How frequent are they? I'm totally intrigued by these guys, and also feel (from reading their responses to Instagram questions) like they're a little prickly about customers asking too many questions.

13. NewmansOwn

Yup, follow them on Instagram for the most up to date release info.

14. xenjoiii

Yep, we announce all of our release through instagram (which is also linked to our Facebook). We haven't had time to update the website, but we will eventually.

I try my best to answer everyones questions, but it gets tough, as I have a ton on my plate at the moment (brewing/brewery operations for Evil Twin NYC full time/brewing for my beers at GSB/dealing with tons of paperwork/nonsense for our space).

15. NewmansOwn

While you're here @xenjoiii will any Big White Cloud cans hit NYC shops/bars?

16. xenjoiii

Its dependent on how much we sell at the release on Saturday. All of the recent releases, with the exception of All Tomorrow's Parties b2, have sold out on release day.

17. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (407) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Wow. Really interesting back and forth between Root and Branch and Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage who grabbed a bunch of cans from the release and is illegally reselling them. (Along with Other Half, Nightmare cans and more). I don’t know how to post from Instagram but the store went low real fast. I’m really surprised. They should not be supported anymore.

guinness77 likes this.
  18. tun

tun Initiate (191) Jun 8, 2012 New York

Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage resorted to calling R+B a bunch of twerps and then threw in that racist shit at the end to top it off.

2Xmd likes this.
  19. guinness77

Wow. Holy Shit. What is wrong with people? Anthony and Ryan can’t be any nicer everytime I go to GSB to buy cans.

2Xmd and jrnyc like this.
  20. guinness77

I can’t edit my last post, but I just read through the IG thread and what the fuck is wrong with people?

It’s bad enough that the store doesn’t understand how this might adversely effect R+B’s sales and doesn’t seem to grasp the idiotic response in their story but now you have a bunch of IGers who are actually defending LR Bev in the comment section. It’s unbelievable to me.

And, if you like beer this much, anyone should know reselling beer without the use of 3rd party distribution in NY (and most states) is ILLEGAL. Plain and simple. “Oh, other stores do it.” “Our customers have access to it now.” Get the fuck out of here. And, they’re posting all this shit on their Instagram page. If anyone from the SLA simply just went to their IG page, case closed. Liquor license compromised, or, gone completely. No detective work necessary.

rozzom, NewmansOwn and jrnyc like this.
  21. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,111) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Not to mention the negative impact this has on the stores who don't break the law.

BellportBeer, 2Xmd and guinness77 like this.
  22. guinness77

Exactly. You get punished because you’re not willing to compromise your liquor license or lose business because you won’t swim in the same murky waters that other distros do?

Maybe I’ll sound a little holier than thou here but there are certain stores I have stopped going to because I don’t celebrate their business practices. Not to mention the fact, this isn’t 2003. I don’t have to drive to Bellport Beer, A&R in Seaford or the Big Z to buy good beer now. You can probably drive less than 10 minutes on LI and hit at least one decent store on accident.

Forget about the illegal practice, we live on a very diverse Island. Keep your racist shit to yourself. Unbelievable a business would stoop that low, especially one who considers their beer good enough to resell at their business. That’s what happens though when someone who’s got those kind of thoughts in their head in the first place. A little frustration, maybe a beer or two and that’s the kind of shit that spews.

And justifying it because “others do it?” What are you 15-fucking-years-old? That’s like the argument I used to use to my parents on why I cut class or got high.

Brewzer1010, 2Xmd and AM824 like this.
  23. AM824

AM824 Initiate (63) Dec 9, 2015 New York

Well said. Shitty practice by the store, and even shittier response to being called out on those practices. Absolutely pathetic and they deserve to lose business over this.

jrnyc and guinness77 like this.
  24. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (407) Apr 19, 2013 New York

The people that buy these beers from these stores need to be called out too. Never understood overpaying for Heady/Other Half/Treehouse in the secondary market. Does ticking that rare beer for $12 a can really get you off?? You are the reason this works for them and it will continue.

There was plenty of beer left at GSB and a good chance that the store may have gotten some legally through 12 Percent distributors. Not now though.

rozzom, tun, jrnyc and 1 other person like this.
  25. TangoJuliet

TangoJuliet Disciple (308) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

That’s alright, when they lose their liquor license they’ll just burn the place down. Just like they did with their old location

Daveshek28 and guinness77 like this.
  26. Xeal

Xeal Initiate (178) Mar 5, 2016 New York
    Trader

I do not frequent the store so I'm not following but who are "Harold and Kumar" in the post that Root and Branch posted up? Are they the owners of the store?

27. guinness77

It’s supposed to be them. I still don’t get the “joke” other than the ignorance.

Xeal likes this.
  28. guinness77

Kinda sad. I haven’t been there in years but it was a good store back in the day. Got a bottle of Black Xantus there years back. I appreciated that.

29. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (544) Aug 18, 2012 New York

It’s mindboggling how people are trying to defend LR beverage on IG. Place deserves to get what’s coming to them.

30. guinness77

[​IMG]
    Gotta love the response from the store. Talk about doubling down on stupidity.

31. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (373) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

I'm just gonna get it out of the way with and say I really don't give a shit about the reselling. That's rampant among a lot of Long Island distributors, it's just that Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage is probably the most brazen with their advertising. I didn't start the revolution in the past, and I'm not looking to do so now.

What bothers me is how openly ignorant and racist they are. They had the opportunity to lay low, delete posts, or (better yet) issue an apology, but instead they decided to double-down on their ignorance and continue to do so on multiple outlets.

I was a customer of Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage for the past decade. They've never done wrong by me on a personal level, but I won't be going back unless they issue an apology for their comments. They're in a hole right now and I really can't understand why they keep digging deeper.

#311 Comparison_Ford, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018
  32. guinness77

They finally issued an apology in their story on their IG page about an hour ago but someone using their IG handle is still trolling on R+B’s last post. Um, wut?

gabea likes this.
  33. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (153) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Am I too old to understand this shit? Why would you post an apology in an IG story rather than just making a post? Doesn't this auto delete after a day or so? Plus you have to click on it and speed read before it auto closes in 5 seconds.

34. NewmansOwn

Issuing an apology in doesn’t really matter when you’ve blocked most of the people that care does it?

35. guinness77

I don’t know. It’s all pretty dumb. I had to click on it twice to read the whole statement and it’s only gonna be up for 24 hours after its first posted.

I think someone finally realized this was gonna cause a loss of business. I don’t think it’s genuine whatsoever.

Edit: lol@ all their 1-Star google reviews getting deleted. Of course the recent 5-star reviews that mention snowflakes and some probable friend of theirs telling people “to get a life” are still there.

#315 guinness77, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  36. AM824

AM824 Initiate (63) Dec 9, 2015 New York

Yeah, and also - don’t think it’s much of a leap to categorize them politically given their doubling down on their racist posts by categorizing anyone who pointed that out as “snowflakes” (lol)

Politics derail aside, good to see the backlash against them. Regardless of if they recognize their issues, the public shaming of businesses who pull crap like this is important, imo.

Takeanotherswing likes this.
  37. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (251) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Am I wrong in thinking an apology is way too late? They clearly feel they did nothing wrong for days and as noted above, they doubled down. Only reason they would post any "apology" is to mitigate any damage to their reputation. They should have reflected on their actions and apologized bc they acted horrible, not because they want to look good.

ScottKramer likes this.
  38. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,363) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

agreed..an apology this late in the game is not sincere and just done to save face

Takeanotherswing and Msudukie like this.
  39. guinness77

Don’t worry guys...they’re (almost certainly) illegally selling Foam stuff and Double and Triple Sunshine today (as per their IG, natch) so, you know, business as usual.

40. guinness77

Haha...great job by Kevin from Bellport calling them out. Kudos to him.

BellportBeer and TangoJuliet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.