Round Guys Brewery?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by tobelerone, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,828) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'll be stopping by these guys on Sunday for the first time. I know they have tastings (free, I think) and Growler fills and it looks like they have some nice stuff on tap at the moment. Anyone been and can share their experience? Also does anyone know if they have or would fill my 32oz swingtop growler or just do the 64? Will they fill non-Round Guys growlers? And do they have anything bottled for sale?

Thanks in advance all!

2. sholland119

sholland119 Poo-Bah (2,393) Sep 8, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

They do not fill other growlers but their glass is not expensive ($5?) No bottles. Free tastings. Tasting room is nice, and I think it is air conditioned now (though not when we were there).

3. tobelerone

Society Trader

Thanks for the reply! Do you recall if they had half or only full size growlers?

4. tobelerone

Society Trader

The guys from Round Guys got back to me and confirmed that they would fill other growlers of various sizes...as long as they are unlabeled. Hmm...wonder where I can find a 32oz swingtop unlabeled growler in NJ/PA? I made a separate post about this but if anyone sees this and knows the answer please let me know! Thanks.

5. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (266) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

I had their Berliner Weiss that smelled like cheese so bad (but I kinda liked it)

6. sholland119

Society

Sorry yeah they said they would fill an unlabeled growler. Never seen such a thing.

7. hhkal17

hhkal17 Poo-Bah (1,638) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I think some homebrew shops sell unlabeled growlers but I'm not sure on that. Might be the kind of thing to call a few nearby shops about.

8. Pnell316

Pnell316 Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Stop at whole foods for swing top growlers, good selection too.

9. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,084) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Why not just buy one of their growlers for 5 bucks or whatever?

10. Steeeve

Steeeve Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Are they opening up a pub eventually? I thought I saw it in Philly Beer Scene but there was no mention of it on their website.

11. hippityhops85

hippityhops85 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Pennsylvania

They are almost done all of the approvals to be able to sell beer by the glass. The "pub" is already there. Their ability to sell beer by the glass will follow suit shortly.

12. Steeeve

Awesome, thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to it.

13. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest (0)

Wow, really? I thought it was putrid. I can definitely appreciate funky beers, but there's a difference between "funk" and "rancid." That beer was the later. Pretty disappointing, as I've liked everything else from this brewery.

14. shadowane

shadowane Initiate (103) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've had one glass that smelled and tasted like feta and one that was a bit more balanced. I'm guessing they are going to have some batch variation due to how they brew it.

edit: For good or bad, that is.

15. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

apparently there's been a few batches of this and one of them had some issues with off flavors. this is probably what you had - i've been told the other ones were pretty tasty.

16. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,254) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

They knew they had some off batches and offered up to the accounts that if they felt they had one, they could switch it out (which a few did). The Berliner I drank at their tap room was very nice, whereas the one I had out elsewhere was not.

Unlabeled, unmarked growlers only, something about the law and the beer being mislabeled if it's in another party's growlers.

17. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

I have a growler that I got from Troegs that is swing top and unlabeled. They would put this wrap-around paper on there to "label" the growler with what was in it which you of course can take right off. Dock Street sells the same one too.

18. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest (0)

I'll give it another shot at some point, but the one I had was an isovaleric acid bomb.

19. shadowane

Trader

Isovaleric? I'm going to look it up but I have no idea what that means.

edit: Sweaty feet?

20. orangesol

orangesol Poo-Bah (2,694) Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It smelled and tasted like they brewed it with really old Parmesan and Blue cheese and then aged it on sweaty socks. It was disgusting.

21. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

Ironic. I've heard people use similar adjectives to describe a beer in an endearing fashion. Gym socks, horse blanket, etc.

22. shadowane

Trader

I think it's the amount. If it's too strong, then it's pretty gross. A little whiff and it just adds to the complexity.

FooFaa likes this.
  23. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest (0)

This.

24. phillybeer7779

phillybeer7779 Initiate (0) May 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

Depends on the style you're drinking, what's good for the gueuze is not necessarily good for the gander har de har

25. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I don't see that being desirable in any goddam style of beer. Ever. :stuck_out_tongue:

mingo1968 likes this.
  26. FooFaa

FooFaa Guest (0)

Not a Geuze fan then I take it?

27. Steeeve

Maybe that's what was wrong with that HeBrew Hop Manna I had. That shit was beyond awful.

28. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (188) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

hayden, you'll get punched if i see you trading for geuze any time soon, then :wink:

DaveHack likes this.
  29. tobelerone

Society Trader

Anyone been into ROund Guys recently? I see they got their license to serve food. I am finally going to get a chance to swing by this weekend. Are they selling pints? Flights?

30. Steeeve

All they said is to stay tuned for an announcement about their grand opening. I would assume everything stays the same until they "open". Just keep checking their Facebook.

31. cryme

cryme Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 Delaware

Apparently they got their pub license today. Probably will still be a while before they are completely open as a brewpub.

32. fbc24

fbc24 Aspirant (217) May 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

if you already have a labeled growler that you wish was unlabeled, try oven cleaner. should take the screenprint off.

33. JBette01

JBette01 Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

I was just there on Saturday. Pints are pouring, cheaply I might add ($4.50 I think). Wild Eyes Series #2 was a standout.

There is food on the menu, but right now it's just hot dogs and pretzels. There is a beefed up menu in the works, but no launch date. AC is up and running and the TV had some 'lympics on.

We also picked up a growler of Berliner Weisse. I just came back from Berlin, and I thought their BW was the most pure, honest interpretation of the style I have had locally. (In fact, they should serve it in the traditional glass for novelty...) Not sure what happened in the past.

34. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Try nail polish remover on your labeled growler. I never tried it but if it works, let me know. Thanx.

35. sholland119

Society

Almost worth trying to see if it works...

36. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (569) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Victory, Troeg's, and Dock St. use unlabeled (unless you count the easily removable sticker) swing-top German growlers. I'm actually not a huge fan of them because they're so tall that I have to put them on their side in my fridge, but you do get a few bonus ounces out of using them.

37. shadowane

Trader

A whole 4! Funny enough, I actually have a Troeg's growler with their name silkscreened on the top, but I've had it forever at this point.

38. fbc24

fbc24 Aspirant (217) May 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

tried it because i couldn't find any oven cleaner and i didn't get any results.

Slatetank likes this.
  39. Starkbier

Starkbier Initiate (73) Sep 19, 2002 Maryland

Actually at Victory we use silk screened labels on the new growlers sold.

40. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (569) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.