Row 34

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Richard33, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Prices don't seem cheap to me at all. Bottle markups are common but that is actually on the low end compared to what I bet other local beer bars would charge that aren't even in Boston.

I know some "beer forward" places in the suburbs that are more expensive and you don't get nearly the same quality of food, service or beer/wine there.

messrock likes this.
  2. rjp217

rjp217 Poo-Bah (1,633) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Do you mean prices don't seem steep to you?

3. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Yeah lol..meant to say steep.

rjp217 likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

Dropped in today again ... had a Rueuze from The Bruery with some oysters and fried clams.

[​IMG]

5. Jason

Society

Really surprised this place only has four ratings ... come on guys!!

6. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,620) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I’ve only been once, and although I loved it I don’t want to review it until I’ve had food there as well…which I hope is very soon.

7. Rekrule

Rekrule Zealot (594) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I'll make it here eventually.

8. Jason

Society

#2 place in the Greater Boston area now ... well deserved!!! Once the weather gets better I'll be out for another visit.

9. vonnerbeer

vonnerbeer Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2010 Massachusetts

10. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

Its gotta be Hobo!

pjl44 likes this.
  11. brikelly

brikelly Initiate (160) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts

12. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (368) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Hey all,

Been there once after Trillium for a beer.

Thinking of heading over there this evening or tomorrow night. Grabbing the T so wanna make sure its worth it to cross the city if we go since we're meeting some family. Looking for maybe a little bit of food and I know their beer selection is pretty top notch. Hoping Fort Point is on tap right now.

How is the place on a Friday night? I know it seems like a great post work hang out but I was curious if it still is hopping in the evening. Not looking for a college bar but also not somewhere where we are the only ones in the place after 8.

Anyone care to share their expereinces?

13. Jason

Society

Friday nights will be packed, if you know what time I'd try to make a reservation ASAP though I would not be surprised if they are already booked. You can wait around for a seat at the bar but that can be a long wait as well.

14. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I did a quick opentable search for a reservation tonight at 7, the next available table was Sunday. If you put 8pm they give you 10:30pm tonight. The word is out.

15. mushrooms

mushrooms Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Uzbekistan

It's been like that for months. I tried to get a ~7 PM reservation on a Saturday in late February - in December. None available.

16. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

It's possible they just don't do open table on the weekends

17. MattOC

MattOC Crusader (701) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was there the end of January with some of my family - party of 4. It was a Saturday. We went on sort of a whim without a reservation. I know we lucked out and somehow got seated walking in at opening at 5. Place was already jammed, table-wise, and the bar seats filled up quickly.

The place is great. Service was outstanding. The beer menu was excellent and we couldn't get enough off of the menu. Oysters are a must and I loved the lobster roll I got.

Really looking forward to the next time I can make it.

18. mmcgrath

mmcgrath Initiate (152) Mar 3, 2003 Massachusetts

just had a date suggest this for tonight - i'm psyched, but prepared to have to wait a long time to get bar seats. - probably show up an hour in advance to stake them out...

19. MattOC

Trader

I know 5 (opening time) isn't an ideal time for a date dinner, but if you went then I don't think you'd have a problem getting seats at the bar. Again, may not be feasible based on schedules and/or really wanting to eat that early. Good luck.

20. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (117) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

Actually, Row 34 opens at 11:30 a.m. on weekdays. It's only Saturday/Sunday that opening time is 5. (Their website is confusing because it would lead you to believe that they close after lunch at 2:30, but really all that means is that the bar is open but they're only serving the bar/midday menu.)

Hours: Mon.-Fri., 11:30 am-11 pm; Sat.-Sun., 5-11 pm

MattOC likes this.
  21. MattOC

Trader

Thanks for clarifying. Based on the hours posted that was my thinking.

22. Jbrews

We're probably just going for drinks so if we dont get bar seats, table right away I don't care. It's not hard to get some for a least our ladies. Bar seats turn over quickly.

23. mushrooms

mushrooms Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Uzbekistan

No, I called. All tables for which they take reservations are available on OpenTable, although they do have a walk-in only area as well. They did have tables at like 5 PM and 9 PM, just nothing in a more typical dinner time.

24. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts

Went for lunch today, the clam chowder and the cask dry-hopped Nugget Nectar were both outstanding, plenty of space at the bar at 12:30 on a (bitter cold) Friday. I suspect that won't be the case when the weather warms up and the patio opens.

25. MattOC

Trader

Where is the patio going to be?

26. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (117) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

There's really only one place it can fit. Google street view here: http://goo.gl/maps/oprt3

27. MattOC

Trader

Once again, thank you. Didn't even envision that spot.

28. Fluke828

Fluke828 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2011 Massachusetts

That is a trip...looking at the "before" for both Row34 and Trillium...

29. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,996) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I'll add to the overwhelming positive comments....

Went last Saturday with a group of 6. Saddled up for standing room only at the bar at 7:45 pm, got a table at 8:30 pm because a group didn't show up for a reservation.

Draft list was carefully selected. Any bar that I can get Mahr's Ungespundet Lager on draft is a bar I'm going to frequent often. Started with that, then had a half-pour (love this) of the Fort Point because I've never tried it. Then drained 3 imperial pints of Notch's Cerne Pivo on cask (very well taken care of I might add). The Notch on cask may have been the best beer I've had in months.

The oysters were outstanding, as was the service. Even the rolls were great! We got a round of various oysters that were out of this world, can't remember what they all were. It's only one visit but this bar is right up there with the Deep Ellum/Lord Hobo/Publick House's of Greater Boston, especially with regards to the tap list.

jlordi12 likes this.
  30. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I'm planning on going for lunch on the 14th when I'm up there. How's the parking situation in that part?

31. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (48) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

There's a reasonably priced lot on Necco Street (yes like the wafers) around the corner. Or park by the convention center and walk it.

RichD likes this.
  32. Jbrews

Good time Friday, Really crowded with the young 20's after work crowd more concerned about their suit, cocktails, mindless office jabber than the beer. Cleared out around 9-9:30 to a comfortable level. We got a reserved bar seat almost right away. Yes the bar is reserved. Good brews, was stoked fort point was back on. It isn't the cheapest of bars but that doesn't discourage me once in a while. Good time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.