Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

RS Flights at The Bruery - Bois

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by CAbeerCAbeerCA, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

thedirtyname likes this.
  2. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Make sure you pronounce it "BWAH" or the bartenders will get their moustaches all twisted
    jforeman, PerHops, davey101 and 8 others like this.
  3. Patrick

Patrick Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Can I have a little taste of bois? Maybe a blend of cuir and bois? No? Ok.
    SageO and j47paco like this.
  4. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Walk in there and be like, "Can I get some queer boys?"
    bbothen, davey101, SageO and 5 others like this.
  5. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

No, no, no - you have it wrong, you're supposed to ask for some wood...
  6. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I'd like some cuir Bois to pair with my smoking wood?
    davey101, SageO and davelag like this.
  7. ridglens

ridglens Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

and just when i thought i was going to read beer reviews in this thread....

At least no one is suggesting a little oui oui on the quir bois, that's just gross.
  8. brabuse430

brabuse430 Jul 24, 2009 California

^ Glad I'm not the only one who thought of all those too. o_O
    MrFootstones likes this.
  9. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Dec 1, 2011 California

I am no reveiwer, so i just have general impressions.

BBA Bois - Tatses like mellowed out Fruet, not a ton of sweetness or barrel. However, I'm not sure that the mellow of it is good, there was nothing that really made me say wow about it.

Virgin Fruet - DAMN! That beer is sweet (and it takes a lot for me to say that). I'm really glad they didn't release it, also glad it came in such a small pour, because you get sick of just how overwhelmingly sweet it is.

New American Oak Bois - Pretty much the same as BBA, not carbonation flat, but flavor flat. You get the idea.

Brandy Bois - This shines really well, reminds me of BA Cuir and Fruet. Still very sweet, but the sweetness has character to it. The beer has body, not in terms of being big, but in terms of complexity.

Rye Bois - My favorite of the bunch. This shines just as well as Brandy, has great complexity, and plenty to keep on seraching for. I'm a big fan of rye whisky, so of course I enjoyed the spiciness that accompanies the finish as well.

I maxed out, and am I disappointed? Maybe a little, maybe not 6 bottles of the regular. But would I have done it differently? No, I still have faith that these all will be beautiful beers to have down the road, just as BA Cuir is right now.
  10. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

So any more reviews out there of the variants?
  11. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Jul 15, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I liked New Oak the best which was a surprise. I thought fresh it was spot on-good amount of oak-iness with just the right amount of sweetness. Brandy was solid too-a bit on the sweeter side and rye...well rye needs some more time in the bottle. I love rye but its pretty hot right now. For those of you thinking of doing a vertical I would recommend it. Side by side you can really taste the differences between each variant. I'm not sure I would have appreciated the subtleties had I not had them together. Can't wait for the HS variant!
  12. the1DarkLord

the1DarkLord Nov 19, 2010 California

For what it's worth, I remember liking the Rye Papier the most, followed by Brandy then Bourbon.

I'm curious to try the new ones, especially new oak.
  13. vacax

vacax Jun 3, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Overall I thought I liked the bourbon most and liked the new oak a lot more than I thought I would. It is odd, but the variants seem a lot more different than the Papier variants did. Rye Papier was my favorite of that bunch.
  14. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Sep 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

For me it was Rye>Bourbon>Brandy>New Oak>Virgin Fruet, but what a damn good flight it was! The rye barrel gave the beer an extra peppery quality that helped mitigate the sweet components that are present in their anniversaries and other Solera method high-alcohol beers. I agree that this was the most complex of the bunch. None disappointed, however, though Virgin Fruet (non-BA Fruet) gets the pass for educational value.
  15. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

When the Bois/Confession/Melange8/Sans Pagie gonna be avail for pickup yo?
  16. nicks6217

nicks6217 Jan 15, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Personally I ranked them like this

New Oak
  17. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

Latest email says May 20th
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  18. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

I really enjoyed the Rye and New Oak versions fresh. They really cut the sweetness and added layers of complexity. I think the Brandy and Bourbon versions are good now but will really shine in time. The virgin Fruet was nice for contrast, but really needs the time in a barrel to tone down the sweetness.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!