Rum

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by UCLABrewN84, Apr 22, 2019.

1. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,196) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Hi folks, I think another huge crossover interest for beer drinkers is rum. Let's have some spirited (ha) discussion.

Any favorite bottles or recent purchases that have been hits? For me, Smooth Ambler's Revelation Rum is the latest wow bottle in my ever growing collection.

Cheers!

Shanex and Premo88 like this.
  2. TheHammer

TheHammer Savant (988) Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

Rum is an odd beast for me, probably because I've generally used it for mixing. That's not to say I'm adverse to having it straight, but I'm more of a whisky man for that affair. My tops are as follows depending on use.

Fruity Mixing - Havana Club 3 Year Old - Sorry for you guys in the states, but Havana Club 3 year is without a doubt my favourite rum for fruit cocktails. Mohito's, Pina Coladas, Strawberry Daiquiri etc. That extra bit of ageing just mellows it out perfectly.

Coke - The Kraken - A buddy of mind handed me what I thought was a Rum and Coke and I asked him why he skimped on the rum. He advised me that about half drink was the Kraken.

Egg Nog - Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum - I don't know why Captain Morgan is able to fit this niche better then any other rum I've had. It just works.

Straight - Plantation XO 20th Anniversary - A incredibly well balanced rum with banana, pineapple and tropical fruit notes, by far my favourite rum to have plain. By far the best one I've ever had.

Brugal Anejo - For the more discount brand, Brugal's oakness caught my fancy, and doesn't over power with it's sweetness, which brings me to the ones I avoid.

Avoid

El Dorado 12 - The molasses seems to take over the rum, not a fan.

Lambs Black - Tastes burnt, and it even ruins things it's mixed with. Not a fan.

Appleton Estates - If you like woodsy rum, go with Appleton. I for one didn't enjoy the experience of drinking liquid splinters.

Shanex, Premo88 and thesherrybomber like this.
  3. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (1,545) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

Only drink one rum, one way. Captain Morgan' Spiced Rum mixed with Cherry Coke. Not fancy, not elegant but it gets the job done.

Premo88 likes this.
  4. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (137) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

Umm ok so I’ll start the snobbery I guess. Foursquare 2005 might be the best spirit I’ve ever had. And the new Hampden estate pure single Jamaican rum is a revelation as well. Wonderful funk bomb that’s great as a sipper or in an old fashioned. Makes an insanely delicious Mai Tai, too.

jrc1093 and Premo88 like this.
  5. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,383) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

Pussers rum us probably my all time favorite. Lately though I've been really impressed with the quality of anything Plantation.

Shanex, Premo88 and dcotom like this.
  6. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (37) Mar 19, 2019 California
    Trader

Used to drink it in college a lot and fell out of love but, we never drank anything better than Private Stock. Then my wife and I went on a tour of Appleton Distillery in Jamaica a few years back. Ended up bringing several bottles home and trying to find more rum barrel aged brews.

Got a bottle of Plantation 20 year and love that as well. Have a friend who swears by Takamaka but, don't think it's available in the US. Shipping costs twice as much as the bottles. :slight_frown:

Premo88 likes this.
  7. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,971) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I like Plantation XO 20, and very similar at $15 less and very good is Kaniche XO.

8. jwhall

jwhall Initiate (26) Oct 18, 2018 Wisconsin

I dig on rhum agricole: La Favorite Couer Ambre = instant favorite for aged agricole (this is so fvcking good with a splash of pineapple over ice)... although Trois Rivieres is up there for Martinique as well.
    Straight sipping: Plantation XO 20 (agree with gatornation here), Banks 7 yr, Don Q Single Barrel
    In cocktails: Don Q Anejo, Banks 5yr, Flor de Cana 7yr, Appleton 12
    Overproof: Lemon Hart 151, Plantation OFTD, Wray & Nephew
    Domestic: Twisted Path (MKE, WI)

Stoked someone started this thread!

9. UCLABrewN84

Society

Have you had Foursquare 2004 yet? If you like 2005, you would probably dig this one too.

Premo88 likes this.
  10. Nickwierda

No haven’t been able to find it unfortunately. I hear the 2007 will be dropping soon though - definitely will be on the lookout for that one

Premo88 likes this.
  11. UCLABrewN84

Society

I was eyeing this one last time I was at the liquor store. I might pull the trigger now.

Premo88 and jwhall like this.
  12. UCLABrewN84

Society

Hopefully the trend of each age stated version increasing in price doesn’t continue. 2004 was $59.99 and 2005 was $74.99 for me. I don’t want the 2007 to be ~$90...

Premo88 likes this.
  13. Nickwierda

You better believe it will be though. Hype train on these is starting to pick up some steam. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it at over $100 in lots of places unfortunately.

Premo88 likes this.
  14. UCLABrewN84

Society

At least their spiced rum is widely available and cheap. Hah.

Premo88 and Nickwierda like this.
  15. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (385) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

My favorite rum is Flor de Cana. It's Nicaraguan. Very affordable dark non-spiced rum. Even the aged ones are not too bad on the wallet. 7yr is my go-to, gonna splurge on an older one soon.

Shanex, Premo88 and Zorro like this.
  16. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (230) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I was never really into rum until I did a tiki class a few years ago at a local bittery. That sent me into the rabbit hole.

And even then for the longest time I drank primarily rum from Barbados, until I got my first bottle of Smith & Cross last Christmas. That opened up the portal to funky Jamaican rums. I recently purchased a bottle of Hampden Estate Rum Fire which is a MONSTER. Appleton 12 is probably the most balanced Jamaican rum I've had, it's so damn good.

#16 Crim122, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Premo88 likes this.
  17. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (841) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanks for the ideas on some new ones to try.

I like Ron Zacapa 23 because it is about in the right place for everything I like without being overbearing in any one way.

Premo88 likes this.
  18. jcos

jcos Devotee (476) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland
    Society

I don't have a favorite rum, but Dark & Stormy is my go to mixed drink if I want to change it up - or any rum based mixed drink if that isn't on the menu.

Premo88 likes this.
  19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I always wanted to try Bundaberg Rum from Australia, not available in the US if I'm not mistaken. I pulled the trigger and bought a bottle from a store in the UK. Marvelous it was.

Premo88 likes this.
  20. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,413) Dec 25, 2003 California

Sailor Jerry and coke, Preferably Cherry Pepsi.

Premo88 and GOBLIN like this.
  21. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (323) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I regret to inform you that your favorite rum may be artificially sweetened: http://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2

I'll also report that despite the possibility that there's a tiny bit of sweetener in there, Barbancourt 5 Star (8 Year Old) is one of the best deals in aged spirits.

And locally, Privateer is absolutely fantastic. One of the best craft distilleries in the country. Their basic amber rum is a blend of 2-4 year old stock and it runs circles around stuff at twice the age and twice the price.

#21 oldbean, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    jrc1093 and Premo88 like this.
  22. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (434) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i'm not a fan of this tactic or approach. if folks like the way their rum tastes (based on, you know, the actual way it tastes) then what difference does that sweetener disclosure make? it's akin to me saying i hate to pee in the punch-bowl but your Coca Cola or sodas have a lot of added sugar. And???

not advocating against agricole nor advocating in favor of molasses based rums that add more sugar, just saying (to me personally) it sounds kinda' silly to sound off on a sugar based product... having sugar added on the back-end. if 'added' "sweetener" / sugar is a hang-up, maybe avoid rum altogether? just my $0.02.

Thankin_Hank, Shanex and Premo88 like this.
  23. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (323) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Well you know, step one in that decision tree would be the rum industry not having such shitty practices when it comes to establishing basic standards for its products.

People can make their own choices regarding sweetened rums, though personally I think they make for an inferior product, but my real objection is that it's all mystery meat. Most people have no idea that this is even a thing, much less how to check for it. A can of coke has the ingredients on the side; a bottle of straight bourbon was aged in new charred American oak for at least two years, and a bottle of rum... well, it has some kind of rum-like substance in there.

24. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I don't think that's going to change soon... For one, unlike say, bourbon, there is no one country (or continent!) that can say "it can only be from here..." and go from there. Second, those countries have their own problems, so following regulations is probably the last thing on their mind if they can get away with it. Finally, most rum drinkers just don't care!

Specific countries have their own profiles, and some distilleries will state they use x product, method, etc. With a few craft spirits producers, you're seeing more "natural" rums. Its not a deal breaker to me, but Appleton's and rhum agricole are where I'll bee looking, as someone who isn't too crazy about the idea of sugar and other excess ingredients being added.

Squire and Premo88 like this.
  25. Highbrow

Trader

main problem i have is with the attitude. the : i hate to break it to the dummies that didn't go to the Oxford University of rum. that's me exaggerating but it does sort of sound like that to people that just enjoy their rum & don't care. almost like it's your mission to counsel them into not liking what they like.

i appreciate you educating me on the minimum aging requirements & intricacies of bourbon. i had no idea. getting past that, i do have an inkling that bourbon is a specific segment of whiskey. so the broad category of rum should be compared to the broad category whiskey. not the strict regulations of bourbon. yes or no?

Premo88 likes this.
  26. AWA

AWA Aspirant (222) Jul 22, 2014 California

Summer is basically here. Somebody give me a decent light rum for Mojitos. If I spent another year with Bacardi I'm going to off myself.

GOBLIN and Premo88 like this.
  27. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,971) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

George Ocean or Mount Gay great for Mojitos.

Premo88 likes this.
  28. Glider

Glider Aspirant (212) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

Flor de Cana 4, El Dorado 3, Plantation 3 Stars would be my recommendations for a white rum.

Yes, ditch the Bacardi! I can’t stand that stuff.

Premo88 likes this.
  29. Nickwierda

Cana Brava or Banks 5 Island

Cana brava is a Cuban style silver rum (albeit made in Panama) meant to mimic the old style Bacardi before it left Cuba and essentially became molasses-based vodka. I have a bottle, it’s very good.

Banks 5 Island is a flavorful, characterful white blend that’s also got some nice funk. Small portion of the blend is Batavia Arrack, which really livens up the flavor profile. Makes an amazing daiquiri too.

jwhall and Premo88 like this.
  30. UCLABrewN84

Society

I have only heard great things about Privateer. Hopefully I will get a chance to travel there and sample in the near future.

Premo88 likes this.
  31. UCLABrewN84

Society

Tonight I had some Koloa 12 Barrel Select neat. Pretty solid Hawaiian aged rum.

I also had some Hampden Rum Fire mixed drinks with different brands of mango passion fruit juice. Funky goodness.

Premo88 likes this.
  32. Crim122

This is my Holy Trinity of white rum. I've heard Cana Brava is good too, but i've not yet been able to get my hands on it.

33. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

Could any rum afficianados who have had authentic Havana Club Cuban rum comment on it? I get my friends who fly internationally to bring back a bottle from the duty free, and want to confirm I'm a special person when I get a bottle. Thanks!

34. Highbrow

Trader

the 7 year old is decent but besides its origin being complicated, it's not life changing. jmho.

35. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (119) Feb 25, 2013 California

Yeah I wouldn't assume it was, and I use it to make mojitos with rather than sip alone. I do have an unopened bottle of the 7.

36. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,274) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Generally not too into rum but just bought a bottle of El Dorado 3 year cask aged and it's pretty damn good for the price

Crim122 likes this.
  37. Crim122

Can't really go wrong with any El Dorado imo

jeebeel and Squire like this.
  38. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,297) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I’m not a big rum drinker either, but have purchased with a buddy a bottle of Dictator, from Colombia for another friends party tomorrow evening:

[​IMG]

We have opted for the 12 one.

As you can see; not cheap. Hope it’s worthy.

jrc1093 likes this.
  39. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (222) Nov 9, 2010 New York

Since I prefer the solera style rum my 2 favorites are Diplmatico Gran Reserva and Ron Centenario Fundacion 20 year. A little pricey but well worth it. Great sippers.

40. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (171) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

+1 to this. I only drink rum neat, others I enjoy are the Plantation ones I can buy here, Zacapa 23, Pampero Anniversario, Santa Teresa, and pretty much anything I've had from Foursquare/Doorly's.

OP, thanks for starting the Rum thread, looking forward to all the tips I will get here.

Premo88, Scrapss and mendonjoebeer like this.