Rum

Discussion in 'Other Beverages' started by UCLABrewN84, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Glider

Glider Zealot (529) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Got a bottle of Damoiseau that I opened recently. 110 proof agricole from Guadeloupe with a wonderful smell of sugar cane. Can really punch up a Daiquiri if you add a little to a mellower white rum.

I also am a fan of Coruba dark rum. Goes great with ginger beer among other things.

Plantation 5 is good stuff, especially for the price.

dcotom and Premo88 like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,269) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Two fingers of Cruzan 151 over one cube of ice. What, I ask you, could possibly go wrong?

[​IMG]

Just saw this for the first time at the grocery store this afternoon. Big aromas and flavors of dark brown sugar, a little sweet, and deceptively smooth without a lot of barrel character or astringence. A great value at $19.99/750. Mugs up, ye scurvy scalawags!

3. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,453) Dec 25, 2003 California

Dirty Little Secrets Of The Rum Industry.

Premo88 likes this.
  4. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Crusader (756) Nov 18, 2013 Texas

Bacardi Cuba Libre. Special occasions Bacardi 151.

dcotom and Premo88 like this.
  5. jwhall

jwhall Initiate (26) Oct 18, 2018 Wisconsin

Anyone in the Milwaukee area wanting to try 35+ rums should look into this:
    https://www.shullyscuisine.com/events/cane-to-barrel
    $30/ticket includes greeting tiki drink and swag.
    Here's the full list of what's being sampled:
    Cuba
    Havannah Club Blanco
    Havannah Club Anejo
    Jamaica
    Appleton Estate 12yr
    Plantation Xaymaca
    Smith & Cross
    Haiti
    Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star
    Dominican Republic
    Matusalem Platino
    Brugal Extra Dry
    Brugal Extra Viejo Reserva
    Kirk & Sweeney 12yr
    Puerto Rico
    Caliche
    Don Q Anejo
    Don Q Oak Spice
    Don Q Vermouth Cask
    British Virgin Islands
    Pusser’s Navy Strength
    Antigua
    English Harbour 5yr
    Martinique
    Rhum Clement Canne Bleu
    Trois Rivieres Cuvee De l’Ocean
    Trois Rivieres Ambre
    La Favorite Couer Ambre
    Barbados
    Mt. Gay XO
    Plantation 20th Anniv. Extra Old
    Trinidad
    Angostura 7yr
    Angostura 1919
    Scarlet Ibis
    Guyana
    El Dorado 8yr
    Lemon Hart 151
    Panama
    Ron Abuelo 7yr
    Don Pancho 8yr
    Nicaragua
    Flor De Cana Grand Reserve 7yr
    Flor De Cana 12yr Centenario
    Multi-Island Blends
    Banks 5yr
    Plantation O.F.T.D.
    Non-Caribbean
    Twisted Path White
    Twisted Path Dark
    Great Lakes Dist Roaring Dan’s
    Far North White
    Far North Aged
    Plantation Fiji
    Plantation Peru

dcotom and Scrapss like this.
  6. jwhall

Ultimately, this is as serious a problem as consumers make it - because the big producers aren't going to advocate transparency. Education is only half the equation here...the power of marketing and global conglomeration is the other half. The challenges that bourbon drinkers face with MGP, scotch drinkers face with Diageo, and beer drinkers face with Miller and Budweiser are also faced by rum drinkers.
    The fact is: Rum is distilled sugar byproduct (or raw sugar in some cases) but distillation removes sweetness, so adding sugar to a scientifically "dry" spirit is a form of manipulation; here, sugar is an ingredient. I am an advocate for putting this data on a label. A fair few enthusiasts would concur, but probably not the big companies. Would knowing how much sugar was added to your rum change what you buy? Maybe; either way, the choice is yours and you should be able to make it.
    While I have no problem enjoying a back-sweetened rum like Dictador or Zacapa on occasion (because I don't really care about how much sugar is in there as long as it tastes good!), I do think that more transparency would be beneficial for the category to advance.
    Regulation is best for both producers and consumers when it outlines broad production critria in very specific ways (ie. a lager is made with lager yeast; bourbon mash must contain at least 51% corn; single malt Scotch must be aged in Scotland for at least 3 years and distilled from 100% malted barley, etc.). This allows for experimentation and diversity while promoting clearly-defined style parameters. What would Three Floyds ever do if a "pale ale" had to contain a maximum addition of hops?

jrc1093 and Squire like this.
  7. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (239) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

8. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (239) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I am pretty sure by law you can not add extra sugar in Barbados and Jamaica. Now are those laws followed strictly? I have no idea. But I do think some of the best rum comes from both Barbados and Jamaica. Smith & Cross and Appleton 12 are damn near hard to beat imo.

jwhall likes this.
  9. jwhall

True in Barbados (I believe).The language is a wee sticky for Martinique and Jamaica (both regulations allow for coloring but do not explicitly prohibit sweetened coloring agents). See Matt's article on the Jamaican rum GI from 2016...
    https://cocktailwonk.com/2018/08/unabridged-jamaican-rum-geographical-indication.html

...and Martinique AOC (2014): https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/06/th...nguage-martinique-rhum-agricole-2014-aoc.html

Love me some Smith & Cross.
    Slainte!

Premo88 likes this.
  10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,306) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

The pick of our locally available value priced mixers . . .

[​IMG]

No tasting notes but I can say it's cleaner and more rounded than the usual suspects.

Premo88, dcotom and Crim122 like this.
  11. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (436) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

let's try this one more time. please try to answer honestly.

1. "rum" includes spirit produced in multiple countries & regions using various resources & techniques. is that an accurate statement?
    2. "bourbon" is a Congressionally regulated spirit from a single country, in a single region. is that an accurate statement?
    3. "single malt *Scotch* " is a spirit that is regulated in a single country in a single region. is that an accurate statement?
    after you answer that, convince us all to continue to pretend the latter two ants (bourbon & s.m. Scotch) are the direct & exact equivalent of the elephant (rum) . false equivalency.

that said, i get it. more transparency, better information, purer product. my issue isn't with you or anyone else wanting that. sign me up too. my issue is simple. the guy that does enjoy that unregulated, not transparent (enough) product- shouldn't have some rhum purist insinuating that they are too unsophisticated to realize they enjoy "trash". bad mouthing the audience that enjoys it doesn't do shit to the producer.

in case it's coming off that i'm naive or a blind supporter of the products in question, i didn't feel like digging out more & this was the first rhum i got my hands on out of my rum section. i think we probably have similar interests or more in common than not. i'm not going to beat up the guy who hasn't arrived there, yet.

[​IMG]

TheGent, dcotom and Glider like this.
  12. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (239) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Cruzan makes some great stuff for the price. The only one to ever disagree with me is their black strap. Which to me tasted like straight up pancake syrup. It killed everything it was in. Hell it even out muscled campari in a Jungle Bird I made with it.

Squire likes this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,306) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Quite agree though I don't really care for any producer's blackstrap type rum. Did have a bottle of the Cruzan variety once and the only person in the house who liked it was my son's girlfriend who kept calling it "Kraken".

Premo88 likes this.
  14. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (176) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

[​IMG]

This one is excellent and absolute steal at its price.

TheGent, Squire, Glider and 2 others like this.
  15. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Love everything cruzan makes great call.
    You’re in Iowa, have you tried using blue ox in your cocktails yet, 6.99 a liter bottle and it’s actualy a decent home bar bottle.

Premo88 and dcotom like this.
  16. dcotom

Society Trader

I have not seen this here in the Cedar Valley. If it's new, it'll probably show up soon. I'll look for it, for sure.

Premo88 and Scott17Taylor like this.
  17. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,376) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

It’s nothing special, but is very good for a bottom shelf brand. I’ve seen it in Cedar Rapids, but not to sure about Waterloo.

Premo88 and dcotom like this.
  18. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,828) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Rum is new to me, but a friend insists it's a good alternative for a whisky drinker, so I picked up this one based on a couple of recommendations (I think a couple of you have mentioned it in here, too):
    [​IMG]
    I envision more mixed rum drinks than glasses of this stuff neat for the next few months. It's officially hotter than hell here in the Brazos Valley, so I need drinks with loads of ice in them. But I'll report back when I start nipping into this one.

Thanks to all the BAs who've posted in here. It's been helpful.

TheGent, Greywulfken, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  19. dcotom

Society Trader

Here are a few I picked up recently:

[​IMG]

A few quick notes from a side-by-side comparison, each sampled neat from this etched green depression-glass shooter :wink::

Leblon (Brazil) - artisinal cachaça, made from fermented sugarcane juice, distilled in copper-pot stills, and rested in French XO Cognac casks. This has a raw, fruity quality, with notes of tequila on the nose and palate and a clean finish.

Don Q Cristal (Puerto Rico) - Produced using a multiple distillation system and aged in American white oak barrels. A neutral spirit, very clean and light on the palate, dry finish. An unbeatable value at < $15.

Cane Run (Trinidad) - Never heard of this until I saw it on the discount shelf. Pretty inoffensive. Unlike the Don Q Cristal, this has a bit of sweetness on the palate and some oiliness and a little harshness on the finish. This will be fine in a cocktail requiring a light rum.

Appleton Estate Signature Blend (Jamaica) - A blend of 15 aged (average 4 years) rums. Pleasant sweetness, with flavors of light molasses and notes of pepper and spice. Heavier mouthfeel and a slightly oilier finish than the others, as expected. I could sip this one. Excellent price point as well.

20. dcotom

Society Trader

I picked up this Iowa-distilled Blue Ox spiced rum this evening. It just hit the shelves here. At $9.99/750, what could possibly go wrong? First off, it comes in at a rather undistinguished 70 proof. In addition, it's rather over the top in terms of spice character. Big aromas and flavors of butter-rum Life Savers, with vanilla, clove, Christmas potpourri, and light brown sugar, and I am not exaggerating for effect. I'm sure I can find some use for this. Eggnog? Mexican cocoa? Until then, it's a pretty pleasant sipper.

[​IMG]

Crossposted from WRAYDN?

TheGent, Greywulfken and Glider like this.
  21. TheHammer

TheHammer Meyvn (1,025) Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, the Havana Club 3 Year is in my eyes, the single best rum for mixing in cocktails. It's just been mellowed out enough that you don't get the burn, and it has a sweetness that seems to fall in direct line with the fruitiness of the cocktail.

As far as Havana Club 7, I thought it was quite good and didn't fall into the over charred trap I find a lot of dark rum suffers from, but once again not world shattering by any means.

Now, if you actually get to go to Havana and go to the rum museum there, they sell one called Havana Club Maximo which at the time, I recall was around $2,000 Canadian a bottle.

dcotom likes this.
  22. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (124) Feb 25, 2013 California

Thanks for the reply. I got a bottle of the Havana Club 3, and (I think I mentioned this earlier?) I made it into the best mojitos. I wanted another bottle of that, and being an American, wasn't give much of a choice and wound up with a Havana 7. So what to do with H7? Mojitos again? Or something more proper>?

23. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (140) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

Make an El Presidente! It’s a perfect vehicle for that rum. My preferred specs: 1.5oz rum, .75oz Blanc vermouth, .5oz dry curaçao, barspoon grenadine (or just skip the grenadine altogether). Stir, strain, and serve up with an orange twist in a coupe or nick and Nora for extra fanciness points.

dcotom likes this.
  24. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (239) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

25. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I’m in the same boat as you. Also picked this up recently on recommendations around here and others. Had a small taste of it neat and really enjoyed it.

#65 TheGent, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019