Russian River's 2020 Pliny the Younger Release Generates $5.1 Million in Economic Impact

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 19, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,967) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.brewbound.com/news/russ...ease-generates-5-1-million-in-economic-impact

REVZEB, AlcahueteJ, BJB13 and 11 others like this.
  2. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (229) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Fun fact... that's also the same value of a single bottle on the secondary market.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (543) Mar 19, 2012 California

Still haven't tried Younger. Saving my millions to buy one on the secondary market. Wish me luck!

4. thuey

thuey Disciple (313) Nov 13, 2015 California

PtE doesn't taste good after 10 - 14 days. I can't imagine the disappointment with traders/buyers of PtY.

5. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,353) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Had my first this year near Pacific Beach at San Diego Tap Room. Excellent beer, though like PtE better. There are several other craft bars throughout California which also receive a keg each February.

Good luck next year!

6. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Good or as good? I’ve traded for PtY a few times. It was always relatively fresh upon receipt, <14 days. I thought it was outstanding every time.

Yabu, beergoot, Singlefinpin and 3 others like this.
  7. thuey

thuey Disciple (313) Nov 13, 2015 California

I think you mean PtE? I can't imagine someone would have access to Younger bottles a few times...

I can only say that for Elder, I cracked it once at 16 days after bottling... and promptly drain-poured. I don't mind because I usually have access to 2 - 3 day old PtE. But that taught me not to hold onto it.

8. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,583) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

That's pretty cool. I was able to drink PtY for the first time this year and I thought it was excellent- everything I love about PtE but amped up to 11. While it's not quite worth planning a vacation around (we have access to so much great beer now and I happened to be traveling in CA for a conference), the economic impact is undeniably great for the cities of Santa Rosa/Windsor, so it is good that not everyone thinks like me.

9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,844) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I find PtE absolutely drinkable at a month, but nowhere near as good. After two weeks, it definitely starts to drop off - but definitely not a drain pour, for me.

Heady is an interesting comparison there, as I find it just as good - just different - at 1-3 months.

Still holding out for PtY, probably my only White Whale beer at this point.

10. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Yes, PtE. Thanks.

Singlefinpin and Bitterbill like this.
  11. errantnight

errantnight Savant (933) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

It’s hot takes like these that contribute to global warming.

12. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (121) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

I planned a trip around the release this year and it was a great experience. We spent 7 days in Northern CA. One day dedicated to the Younger release at the Windsor Brewery, but also spent time in San Francisco and Yosemite. Got to see and do many things I’ve wanted to for years. But the PtY release was my main motivation for planning.

13. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Poo-Bah (1,801) Dec 7, 2010 Idaho
    Society Trader

Literally LOL'ed. Thanks for that.

14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,053) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

No way that's better than Yosemite. It really is magical territory.....Oh yeah, I've had the beers many times..

15. gibson584

gibson584 Initiate (121) Dec 11, 2010 Kentucky
    Trader

Yosemite was for sure the highlight of the trip for me. But my desire to go to this release for the past 10 years finally pushed me over the edge to actually plan this trip out. So I’m grateful for that. And the beer was pretty tasty too.

16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,431) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

So when did they start bottling PtY?

Bitterbill and Singlefinpin like this.
  17. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,343) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

This past release (2020).

18. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (600) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Since traveling out of the country on a surf trip is a definitely a sketchy and maybe impossible situationfor quite awhile, I need to plan a California surf/Brewery trip.
    It'll probably be easier and cheaper and the beer will definitely be better!
    PLY will definitely be on my list!
    Cheers!

dukeandduke likes this.
  19. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (139) Jan 8, 2015 California

Especially now that it's widely available, at least in the area of California I reside in. It's common to see dates more than a month old. I passed once because it was closer to two months, but it was easy to pass because I've drunk more PtE and other Russian Rivers hoppy beers in the past year than I ever have before.

20. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,316) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I would definitely say the PtE stops being worth the price of admission right around 4 weeks. And when you get it within a couple of days all of the love it gets makes perfect sense and everything seems right in the world

21. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (351) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

"Don't care. Had sex"

22. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (395) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

wow, I have to say I disagree pretty vehemently with the idea that "PtE doesn't taste good after 10-14 days." I wouldn't take seriously anything anybody who expressed that opinion had to say about flavor in general, that's how much I disagree with that statement.

But to each his own I guess.

bbfcfm11, JayORear, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  23. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (139) Jan 8, 2015 California

Especially since I'm confident that the beer is refrigerated from brewery to the time I buy it.

JayORear and beergoot like this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,505) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I have one Heady left from a recent drop in MA. I’ve heard John Kimmich prefers it at 10 weeks, so I’m waiting 10 weeks. Looking forward to it.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some Pliny in stores here as well. We’ve been seeing all kinds of random gems from out of state due to the pandemic.

I’m only half joking about seeing Pliny in stores here...

25. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (869) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

days...?

Shit son, once 14 minute out of the tank passes the stuff is basically liquid dog turds.

I drink it out of the bright tank or I don't drink it at all

26. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (242) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I auto drain pour all beers 16 days or older..... had a westy 12 that was 18 days old and I even threw away the bottle opener I used to pop the top.

27. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (395) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Have zwickel, will travel...

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,505) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Ha, the part at the end with the bottle opener was pure gold.

Cheers to you!

29. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,188) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

This mirrors my experiences with PtE. I find both Blind Pig and R2H56 to have better longevity for my palate and preferences.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I think that's standard for the IPA/DIPA divide generally. If you're after that bright hop bite it will take longer to fade behind the malts in a basic IPA than it will in a bigger bodied dipa. But honestly, we all know that blind pig is better that pte anyday:stuck_out_tongue:

31. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (638) Mar 28, 2009 California

some world class surf and breweries! The crowds in Southern California can be a bummer though. My favorite days are spring combo swells at trestles then pizza port for lunch. I’ve been wanting to do a NorCal surf, mountain bike and brewery trip for awhile, hopefully soon.

JayORear likes this.
  32. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Defender (600) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I lived in SD for six months a few years ago, a few trips up to Ventura, and Rincon.
    Yeah, crowds at Trestles are a little crazy, but great surf and good surfers make it more fun, of course that was an El Nino winter.
    Mountain bikes and beer! That would be a great trip!
    Cheers!

JayORear likes this.
  33. TheRougeBastard

TheRougeBastard Crusader (725) Aug 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Wouldn’t be surprised if more than a few of those folks from the “47 states and 14 countries” were pissed they stood in line for it. I was extremely underwhelmed by my PtE experience (two bottles, bottled 14 days b4 purchase, and after searching for that sum’bitch for years)! Ober-overhyped IMHO!

34. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Disciple (372) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

People still stand in line for beer cheers to you

35. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

What did you expect from PtE? What did you find lacking in it?

36. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,184) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

It will happen someday, my friend, especially now that they're bottling it. Also, agree 100% on Heady. Which reminds me, I need to place another ISO in the trading forum, it's been too long.

Roguer likes this.
  37. JayORear

Society Trader

I know that's a popular thing to say, but I've tried them side by side countless times now, and fresh PtE wins for me every time.

38. JayORear

Society Trader

My thoughts exactly, especially if drinking it on tap at the source.

39. JayORear

Society Trader

Is it a drain pour after sitting in a USPS warehouse for two months? :stuck_out_tongue:

Roguer likes this.
  40. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,844) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

It was not! But .... it wasn't great, either. :wink: I think I drank more than half the bottle, still.

I have not had Blind Pig many times, but I definitely didn't find it up there with PtE.