SA Barrel Room Collection

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JoeAmerican77, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeAmerican77

JoeAmerican77 Defender (601) Oct 11, 2009 Colorado

I was pleasantly surprised by Sammy A's Barrel Room Collection. I had put them off my radar assuming the only beer they put out I would really enjoy would be the out of my price range Utopias. They Nailed it in my opinion, full of body and flavors and did not break they bank... any thoughts?

2. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (77) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

I liked the tripel and stony brook a lot when they first came out. I've purchased the Stony Brook probably 5 times since then, because its a decent budget sour, but I do (and I cant believe I'm saying this) feel like it's changed quite a bit since it first came out. It doesn't taste quite as good or complex as I remember it being in the first few bottles I had.

It's certainly possibly my palate/taste has changed... just my 2 cents.

3. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,450) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Generally I have liked the ones I have tried. Stoney Brook Red is probably my favorite, 13th Hour is OK, and my wife likes the New World Tripel. I have mixed feelings about the New World Tripel. Got two bottles from dinner guests. We had one relatively fresh and it was pretty tasty. It did not fare well with age - color and flavor were both shot. Not undrinkable, just a significant drop off in my opinion. Whether they "nailed it" or not will be a matter of debate, but as far as being pretty decent stuff at a reasonable price I'd agree with that.

JoeAmerican77 likes this.
  4. dcs1548

dcs1548 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Virginia

I've had both the Stoney Brook Red and Thieteenth hour and found that they were both pretty good beers, easily worth trying if you haven't.

5. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,290) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I've generally liked them. Had the 13th Hour, the New World Tripel, and the Stoney Brook. All solid offerings.

6. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (327) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

Yep. I think they are all pretty good. With Stony Brook Red being my favorite.

7. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

I liked Stony Brook Red and New World Tripel the best.

8. RichD

RichD Champion (806) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I've only had a full bottle of the Thirteenth hour and I thought it was great. A nice, complex, full flavored beer. I also tried the Tetravis at the brewery and I can't wait for this one to be released. I think the Tetravis might be one of SA's best brews.

9. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Another vote for Stony Brook Red. I like it despite that its name reminds me of my nasty bitch sister in law.

alucard6679 and Schwantz like this.
  10. backbaybrewer

backbaybrewer Aspirant (229) Feb 26, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Stony brook red +1. Also like the kriek.

Since we are discussing the barrel room collection though I have to say, if you ever get a chance to try the kosmic mother funk straight, do it. I sampled kmf at the ACBF in 2011 and it was great. For those that don't already know, KMF is the sour ale that is blended into all the barrel room beers to in varying amounts.

11. RichD

RichD Champion (806) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Delicious. I went to the party at the brewery to open ACBW and it was definitely the tastiest brew I had there.

EDIT: The KMF that is.

backbaybrewer likes this.
  12. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've only had the Stony Brook. I enjoyed it, but wasn't overly impressed. It was good enough that I want to check out some of the others. The price definitely makes them worth trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.