Sacred Profane Brewing Launching Summer 2022

Discussion in 'New England' started by Davl22, Feb 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davl22

Davl22 Maven (1,329) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Brienne Allan (Notch) and Mike Fava (Oxbow) opening Czech inspired "Tank Pub" in Biddeford Maine this summer. You can hear more about it on the latest interview on Good Beer Hunting. Sounds like they'll only be serving two lagers on draft and oysters. Incredibly excited to have this close by.

https://www.portlandfoodmap.com/sacred-profane-brewing-in-biddeford/

2. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,585) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just to add - Both will be triple decocted & open fermented Czech lagers + an element of pitch-lining seems to have been hinted in the past

Portland Food touched up on this as well...Looking forward to hearing more about those Lukr (horizontal) serving tanks

[​IMG]

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I listened to the podcast and Brienne made mention of horizontal serving tanks (manufactured by Lukr). I have had beers at US brewpubs/brewery taprooms served from serving (e.g., brite) tanks. I wonder if there is anything different/unique in dispense from a Lukr horizontal tank.

During my two week visit to the Czech Republic I visited many tankovna (tank) pubs where the beer in those pubs were served from those tanks.

Some of those tanks were oriented horizontally:

[​IMG]

Some of those tanks were oriented vertically:

[​IMG]

Na Zdravi

4. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Some folks might be interested in watching the below video about the Pilsner Urquell tankovna 'system'

Within the video they show the Lokal pub in Prague. I really liked that place!

Na Zdravi

5. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Maven (1,301) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Deactivated

I’ve been in Southern California since last Thursday. I missed all the social media rollout on this for the most part.

Stoked for Mike and Brienne. I’ll be a patron as often as I can. Maine is always so much more justifiable than the opposite direction.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That'd be Venezuela, I guess? Yeah, not much of a beer destination.

ChicagoJ, AlcahueteJ and jmdrpi like this.
  7. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,585) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pick Six: Dedication & Decoction with Brienne Allan

1. Schlenkerla Helles
    2. Kozel Černý
    3. Únětické Pivo Filtrované 10.7°
    4. Corona
    5. Jack’s Abby Smoke & Dagger
    6. Notch Lojko

Briefly touches on Sacred Profane (temperament)

8. Stormfield

Stormfield Pundit (921) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Hopefully they do open in the summer. We know how often brewery openings are delayed--few if any brewery openings occur according to schedule. But seeing as Miss Allan and Mr. Fava are industry veterans with plenty of experience, perhaps the summer it will be. Whenever they open, I'm as interested to visit as all of you.

Biddeford seems to become cooler with each passing year. The area seems ripe for even more cool things to happen. There is a cool chicken place called Dizzy Birds, and there is a great little book store/cafe and beer bar called Elements. (In 2018 or 2019 I sat at the bar drinking Russian River on draft while reading a used Anthony Bourdain book I bought for $5). Nice spot to spend an hour or two.

Not everything cool in Maine has to be in Portland. I'm glad they chose a different area. I give them a ton of credit for making that decision alone. Nothing against Portland.

9. mrmattosgood

Deactivated

It does make for a nice little afternoon, though, huh? Biddeford for Sacred & Profane, head south to the Clam Shack for the best lobster roll (and Allagash White on tap), then end up at Tod's place down in Kittery for uno mas (for those of you who don't hablo espanol, "uno mas" is Spanish for ... One mas.).

10. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

From the above linked article:

“They can make these pours called řezané, and that’s where the Kozel is floating on top of a pale lager, so it’s kind of like a half and half.”

I had the pleasure of drinking a “half and half” during my two week vacation in Prague in 2019:

“U Buldoka

A pub that is also a bit of a sports bar was just a few blocks from our hotel. I thought it would be interesting to see how the locals enjoy their sports. Needless to say soccer was the sport being shown on the several TVs in the bar. I am not a big soccer fan but they did have beer here so I was a happy camper. This pub was a Tankovna (Tank Pub) which means that they served beer (Pilsner Urquell) out of tanks within the pub. These beers are unpasteurized so one less step of processing for these specific beers. I did indeed have a 0.5 liter glass of Pilsner Urquell but I noticed that on the menu they had their version of a Half & Half which is half Pilsner Urquell and half Velkopopovický Kozel Černý. This was a tasty blend of beers and a highlight for me for this pub visit.”

[​IMG]

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/Czech_Beers

Na Zdravi

11. Rug

Rug Grand Pooh-Bah (3,300) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That looks delicious

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

I’m pumped to try this.

But having listened to Brienne and her fiancé speak on the podcast a few weeks ago I was a little perplexed when they said they’re only going to offer two beers. Unless I misunderstood in terms of variation of two distinct styles? I can’t see how you’d survive that way. Half the crowd up there(and I don’t live far and spend half my time between my place in York to Portland) could give two shits about style or the process behind it. Triple decoction being a band for all they care. So curious how they could bring a diverse customer base excluding so much?

I’ll gladly go and support anyones ability to say fuck the the norm. The hardcore-punk in me says it should be that. But, breweries are already volatile. And I truly believe they could have a fucking slamming portfolio. Even including a hazy here and there. You also can’t just shit on hazies and people who enjoy them. That’s closed minded and judgmental, even if we know the market is loooooaded with them. Which I know she works hard to keep toxic minded thinking out of the brewing world.

Open minds and open hearts

13. mrmattosgood

Deactivated

When I talked to Brienne last fall about this, her basic take was along the lines of (and we were at Novare, so please don't assume I can quote her verbatim), "I want to make one beer and make it better than anyone else in the world."

I feel like that attitude needs to be more prevalent in the beer world. I love a nice diverse tap list with some lagers and some hoppy stuff and a brown ale, but shit, I don't go to Franklin's BBQ and wonder why I can't get pizza and grilled cheese.

ColdOne, GuyFawkes, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Do you have an example of a US brewery where that business strategy works?

Cheers!

15. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Maven (1,294) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

My initial thoughts were pretty identical to @Jbrews, but I didn't want to come across as negative. It's a cool idea and all, and I wish them luck, but even as a pretty hardcore beer consumer, I would not be likely to go to a place like this other than to check it out. Hard to envision myself going to a brewery repeatedly that only serves 2 beers, even if they're really good beers. Particularly a place tucked down in Biddeford so you'd really have to make a special effort to go visit them specifically.

Yeah, but Franklin's serves not just brisket, but also pulled pork, ribs, chicken, sausages, sides. The better analogy for that kind of style specialty would be Schilling or Notch, which specialize in lagers, but offer a lot of diversity within the style. This idea sounds more akin to a BBQ place that just offered dry-rub St. Louis ribs. If they were the best St. Louis ribs in the world, you'd probably still get enough customers to be viable, but you're also eliminating a lot of potential customers.

[I actually think BBQ is an imperfect analogy because it inspires such uniquely passionate fans that a rib-only joint could actually become hyped up and have lines around the block, which I don't really see happening with a brewery focusing on a fairly obscure type of Czech lager.]

16. mrmattosgood

Deactivated

Maybe the heart of the matter is whether or not the modern beer consumer could go back to having a beer they loved and drank all the time. I know it’s antithetical to the craft beer thing as it currently stands, but could we get back to a spot where people were happily drinking one consistent beer? Idk.

I’ve narrowed my beer drinking down considerably, often going back to 12’s of White and, recently, a lot of Pacifico.

But you’re right in that it’s gonna have to be a dope spot to hang. I love oysters. I would bet the two beers would be killer. But good enough to go, from where I live, more than 2-3 times a year? I hope so, but we will see.

17. mvogt

mvogt Zealot (749) Sep 10, 2021 Massachusetts

Could they make enough $ from distribution that they wouldn't need to draw visitors from a wide area?

18. dubdrop

dubdrop Savant (1,027) Aug 6, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

One could argue that this is what the Alchemist did for a while with Heady.

19. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

But they 'learned' they needed to produce more than one beer brand.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. MattOC

MattOC Pooh-Bah (2,100) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Trader

That one beer led the way for what they’ve become. They didn’t need to produce more than one beer then. Now they can produce whatever they want.

Cheers!

Rug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.