Saint Archer Brewing Company Joins Tenth and Blake

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Keene, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keene

Keene Defender (659) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

SAN DIEGO and CHICAGO (September 10, 2015) – Tenth and Blake, the craft and import division of MillerCoors, announced today an agreement to acquire a majority interest in Saint Archer Brewing Company.

Founded in San Diego in 2013 by a talented group of entrepreneurs, artists, skateboarders and surfers, Saint Archer brews an award-winning range of ales including Blonde Ale, IPA, White Ale and Pale Ale. Saint Archer expects to sell 35,000 barrels of beer in 2015, up more than 100 percent over 2014, making it one of the fastest-growing breweries in California. Tenth and Blake plans to support its continued growth under the ongoing leadership of Josh Landan, Saint Archer co-founder and president.

“We have always wanted to get great beer into more people’s hands,” said Landan. “We were fortunate that brewers big and small were interested in partnering with us, but Tenth and Blake was the clear choice. Tenth and Blake shares our passion for putting great beer first. Joining Tenth and Blake allows us to keep doing what we love right here in San Diego, but now with more resources to innovate and grow. With Tenth and Blake’s help, we hope to one day be a national brand.”

Saint Archer’s management and their team will continue to brew, package, ship, and sell Saint Archer’s outstanding portfolio of high-quality brands. Saint Archer will be run as a separate business unit of Tenth and Blake.

“We’re really excited about our partnership with Saint Archer,” said Scott Whitley, president and CEO of Tenth and Blake. “Saint Archer is consistent with our strategy of building our high-end portfolio while driving topline growth. Josh and his team represent everything we look for in a partner. Saint Archer brews award-winning ales across a variety of styles that are complementary to our current portfolio—including some outstanding IPAs. We’re excited at the prospect of working together to support the continued success of Saint Archer.”

Saint Archer picked up two gold medals at the 2014 San Diego International Beer Festival and a gold medal at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival.

Saint Archer joins other leading crafts in the Tenth and Blake portfolio, including Blue Moon Brewing Company, Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, Crispin Cider Company and a minority equity stake in Terrapin Beer Company.

The transaction is expected to complete in October 2015. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

About Saint Archer Brewing Company
    Saint Archer Brewing Company was founded on a unique strain of creative talent: World-class brewers, Artists and Musicians, Surfers, Skateboarders and Snowboarders; all coming together with passion and commitment to express our collective true love – handcrafted beer. Saint Archer has been a long time in the tank and we hope you taste our appreciation and gratitude in every sip. www.saintarcherbrewery.com

About Tenth and Blake Beer Company
    Tenth and Blake is the craft and import division of MillerCoors. The Tenth and Blake family includes Blue Moon Brewing Co. at the SandLot in Denver, Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co. in Chippewa Falls, Wis., 10th Street Brewery in Milwaukee, Crispin Cider Company in Colfax, Calif., AC Golden in Golden, Colorado, Birra Peroni in Rome, Plzeňský Prazdroj (Pilsner Urquell) in Pilsen, Czech Republic, and a minority equity stake in Terrapin Beer Co. Tenth and Blake beers and ciders include Blue Moon Belgian White, Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, Crispin Original, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Pilsner Urquell, George Killian’s Irish Red, Colorado Native and Grolsch. You can find out more at www.Facebook.com/TenthAndBlake.

2. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Aspirant (257) Apr 15, 2013 California

Hmm, I'm beginning to see a trend in the industry.

JohnnyMc and zid like this.
  3. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (721) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I'm a fan of Saint Archer IPAs. I hope that they will now be able to get their beer out to VA. Best of luck to them!

4. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

Yet another company whose product i will no longer drink. The list just keeps a growin'. Luckily, with the exception of Mosaic IPA, I don't really enjoy their beer anyway.

5. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Damn their IPAs are so on point though. What a shame.

mccorvey likes this.
  6. CobraCommander9000

CobraCommander9000 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015 Texas

Why not?

7. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

Why do I not enjoy them or why will I nor buy them?

8. CobraCommander9000

CobraCommander9000 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015 Texas

9. Grabbin2nd

Grabbin2nd Aspirant (285) Jul 30, 2005 California

Good for them. Quality companies will continue to be gobbled up. #InMosaicWeTrust

rhertan likes this.
  10. rather

rather Aspirant (202) May 31, 2013 California

meh I tried their line up multiple times andd it's pretty decent but I just don't care when I can get a 6 pack of pizza port pint cans.

BeerBeast likes this.
  11. fureousangel

fureousangel Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 California

I don't understand the harsh words when a 'craft brewery' gets bought out by a large company. Who can turn down the opportunity for generational wealth and security?

That's business the American way.

puboflyons, Pug, ssimpson89 and 6 others like this.
  12. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,690) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Never had anything from them, but I'm assuming this will allow them to remedy that. I have no issue with that.

13. Here4Beer

Here4Beer Initiate (125) Nov 2, 2006 Nevada

My concern with many of the acquisitions we've seen over the years is how the parent company goes to market (day-to-day business practices) in tandem with how they behave as corporate citizens.
    Look forward to enjoying St. Archer in my market, one that likely wouldn't have seen them for years; however knowing my loot supports Cinnamon Horchata & CL Smooth (Coors Light- college nickname) on the back end can be a bit of a bummer.

Woodrow and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (279) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Here here! Put this business and opportunity in anyone's lap, and they would probably take it.

I'm sure there are a lot of companies/businesses that he support's that are owned by larger corporations.

fureousangel likes this.
  15. brentusaurus

brentusaurus Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 California

Ehhh... as long this means there's more Mosaic and its quality stays the same, it's alright.

16. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

Can anyone sight a good example of when a brewery was purchased and the brand went down hill, whether in quality or in the styles and variety offered?

BTW, I used to do market research for MillerCoors, and they are CLUELESS about craft. The meetings I attended.....you would not believe the ideas being tossed around. I can't tell you them, but god, utterly clueless, folks

17. Yargamo

like seasonal creep on a much larger and more disturbing scale......healthy brewers seeing Goose, Kona, and other absorbed brands getting serious tap handle presence....they panic, they sellout....they get rich.

18. bowserhound

bowserhound Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

Not really 'craft' but Newcastle went down hill after changing hands. Can't really tell you any more as I stop drinking big 'craft' beer the minute it gets 'big'.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,081) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The classic example of that - until something worse happens :grimacing: - was when the then Philip Morris-owned Miller Brewing Co.
    (pre-SAB, pre-JV w/Coors) bought 50% of Celis, and then, as allowed by their contract, at the request of Pierre Celis, the rest of the company, shrunk the distribution and closed the brewery within a few years.

There are probably a few other, smaller mergers and buy-out of "craft" or just smaller breweries by non-AB/MC breweries that didn't work out well for the purchased brand - the Berghoff/Huber/Minhas deal, Matt buying New Amsterdam and then selling it off, Harpoon buying Catamount, the James Page brands winding up at Stevens Point*, Genesee buying the Fred Koch brands, just about every brand Heileman ever bought that I drank before they got it - but I'm not real familiar with what happened to many of those brands "quality-wise" before they disappeared.

* Not sure of what that deal was now that I think about it. @Chaz - who owns the brand? Is it simply contract-brewed by SP?

#19 jesskidden, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Chaz, ericwo, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,827) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Do you remember Celis?

The CA guys talk about Alpine, but out they would have to give the why they think so.

Roenbach Alexander went away when Palm bought them.

Just a few off the top.

beertunes likes this.
  21. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,827) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

JK beat me to it.

22. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,569) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Less than 3 years old, and already selling the company? Cash grab. Whatevs, I'd never even heard of them until today.

JohnnyMc, robear and bowserhound like this.
  23. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Mosaic IPA is probably the best new DIPA I've had this year. Agreed about the rest of their lineup.

charlzm likes this.
  24. Yargamo

Thank you sir

25. Jeffjjpkiser1

Jeffjjpkiser1 Initiate (41) Sep 23, 2014 California

Total sell outs. They showed their true colors when they made those comments about Petco not selling their Beer but "Very supportive of the Dodgers" for selling it in LA. Nobody needs you, San Diego "Craft beer" will survive and prosper without you. I can guarantee you one thing, they're not about to put a sign out in front saying "Majority owned by MillerCoors". The skaters can now officially retire.

26. LAWonders

LAWonders Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2012 California

For those that don't know, the core team at Saint Archer is a marketing company and this sale was their vision from the beginning. Sorry to burst any bubbles.

27. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (173) Nov 22, 2010 California

Exactly - not sure why anyone would be butthurt over something like this or call them sellouts. They did a great job growing the BUSINESS and had a successful exit. Great for them. Yes, many (most?) craft breweries make a better product, but the vast majority of craft breweries are lifestyle businesses (i.e., not suitable for third party investment or a sale) at best.

EricLiPuma likes this.
  28. DeanGeorge

DeanGeorge Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Massachusetts

To add a stroke of Irony to this I was at the Lagunitas brewery around a year ago speaking with one of the brewers and another guest. They were claiming that no one in Chicago drinks Goose Island 312 products anymore because they went downhill after InBev purchased it.

29. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,481) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

So the rumors from the last couple of months were true. Huh.

SierraJosh and Brolo75 like this.
  30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Wasn't Catamount dead in the water before Harpoon's buying them. From what I remember reading, the owners were overconfident to the point of arrogance about their brand and believed it would just sell itself. Then they invested major bucks in a new facility but none in a sales staff, and it all came back to bite them in the end.

Pete's Wicked is probably another good example.

Good point about Celis, but I also think that may have eventually led to just how the majors look at how to handle (and not handle) these acquisitions (or investments).

31. drewskalicious

drewskalicious Initiate (86) Jul 20, 2012 Georgia

Maybe I'm being a dick for posting this, but some of my SD brewer buddies are throwing around rumors that another big SD craft beer player is about to get swallowed up as well. Of course, no one wants to speculate...

32. Joshmistake

Joshmistake Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Minnesota

Interesting to see how this plays out since Stone distributes St. Archer in Southern California. Curious if they'll be pulling SA taps in SD over this acquisition?

33. stonesean

stonesean Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 District of Columbia

"Founded in 2013...." Nice to see all the years of toil and struggle were worth it. Congrats on all your hard work guys! Now for a well deserved break!

34. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Disciple (323) Dec 24, 2010 Colorado

There are plenty of small breweries that I would rather give my money to than Tenth and Blake...

Sure... good for the folks that started St Archer, they got paid. But I will no longer speak highly of their beer or hold them in the same reverence.

They did make good beer, and that is why Tenth and Blake sought to acquire them. I won't support the pseudo craft machine that ABI and SAB created to deceive the less informed.

You are informed now. Make your own choice. Where does your dollar go? To a multi billion dollar company? or to some new multi millionaire skater kids? oh wait... they're the same.

surfcaster, beertunes, ericwo and 2 others like this.
  35. CraftE

CraftE Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 California

Their beer over here is not really held to a high standard regardless, especially with the choices of great breweries that surround them. As far as I can see, they jumped out of the game before the bubble burst which would save them them from going under.

Their questionable PR moves with supporting the dodgers over their hometown Padres did them dirty as well. Great move for them as a business. Their Mosaic Dipa aint half bad, it is just difficult for them to stand out in a pool of the best breweries in the world. Luckily with their new and improved distribution blueprint they will be able to profit and stay afloat.

36. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

I get letting your beer get out in more stores, and letting that growth happen. Don't BS around with the wordage about great beers. Most of their lineup tends to be slightly average, yet sells globally. What else is new about mediocrity? Your Saint Archer beers shall be lumped into that same category. Deal with it. Not everything popular is of good quality. Most breweries don't get that fact. They see those $$$ signs though.

37. Phil-Fresh

Phil-Fresh Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 California

Always was a bit suspicious of this brewery when it brought in so many skaters and surfers. My fear of being sold a lifestyle and not a beer was alleviated when I had their Mosaic IPA - the rest of the line-up meh. Hope they keep the Mosaic the same, but if not no biggie already plenty of delicious IPAs to choose from in SoCal. Nothing against St Archer for taking the money, but I'm watching for the quality to fall off and the beer lineup to hit mediocrity.

beergrrl and beertunes like this.
  38. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,081) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yes, but Harpoon also bought the brand at the time, and put little to no effort in restoring it - eventually killing it off except for (IIRC) an occasional special release. I agree that the situation is often more complicated when a big brewer buys a troubled brand/brewery.

Pete's had been on a downward trend even before Gambrinus bought them - they appear to have peaked in 1996 (426k bbl.) and had fallen to 255k bbl. the year of the purchase, 1998. Their financial loses were in the 10's of millions and their stock had fallen to 1/3 of its opening price in '95.

Norica, TongoRad and Chaz like this.
  39. Dodgerrigo77

Dodgerrigo77 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 California

Widmer, kona brew, 10 barrel, goose 312, red hook... If Vinnie is making beer on a 100 barrel system it would probably taste great but these beer dudes at your local Budweiser facility, quality & complexity go out the window. Besides Mosaic IPA nothing was better than average IMO
    Best of luck to St Archer staff, hope nobody loses a job over this business deal, like a first year brewer or someone on packaging team. I prefer fresh local product or at least in state products. Im lucky to live in the bay area, spend your money on whatever makes you all happy.

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,660) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

By all reports, AB is doing a fine job producing Goose Island beers at AB breweries.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.