Saint Archer

Discussion in 'US - West' started by erichxedge, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolan_likes_wine

nolan_likes_wine Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2015 California

Saint Archer is definitely available in the North Bay, I've bought it at the Napa Whole Foods and Beer Craft in Rohnert Park.

2. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

I actually have.

3. catbirdofdoom

catbirdofdoom Initiate (177) Apr 15, 2014 California
    Trader

They've started distribution to Fresno, as of last month, and they've hit the market hard. The bottles and cans are everywhere, though the DIPA is a little harder to find now. It was really nice, and a bit underrated on BA. I'm really hoping we see the Mosaic.

4. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (157) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I was just to start a thread on this. I think St. Archer has been flying somewhat under the radar simply because although their beer has been good, it hasn't really been special or outstanding either. Very good, very competent, and fairly priced. But nothing that hadn't been done before.

HOWEVER, the Mosaic DIPA that just came out is one of the best IPAs I've had in a LONG time. Comparable to the stuff Noble Ale Works is putting out. It's absolutely spectacular and I expect it to get a lot, lot of hype.

I hope they continue in that direction. I think we're witnessing a new generation-wave of IPAs with a different profile: tapping into the aromatic potential of hop strains rather than emphasizing bittering qualities to the beer at the expense of muddling the brightness of them.

I cannot recommend the Saint Archer Mosaic highly enough.

5. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

anyone see the Mosaic floating around LA, preferably from BH to the Pasadena area. Everywhere I go seems to sell out right before I get there.

6. Alpha309

nevermind, stopped at BevMo over lunch and they had a case in the back, wasn't on the shelf.

7. TTC

TTC Initiate (71) Jul 16, 2013 California

Trader Joes in Pasadena had it on the shelf too (bought one last night)

8. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

It's in Sacramento, all solid but really dig the Coffee Brown. Now, sounds like I need to find the Mosaic.

9. 395er

395er Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 California

Just one man's opinion on the under the radar/acceptance thing. As a SD resident (and skater/snowboarder/surfer) I was really put off by the "brand before beer" thing. Same with Modern Times. Both seemed to have their whole brand settled before even hiring a brewer, if I'm not mistaken. Now, that's not necessarily a bad business plan. Hell they both had people saying "I can't wait to try your (non-existent) beer!" It's just that there are so many dedicated brewers trying to get something going, it was tough for me to back that in the local brewing scene. MT makes some fine beers. I haven't had many SA beers. With so many good beers to choose from locally and regionally already, I just haven't been motivated. If I stumble on the Mosaic I'll give it a go, but probably won't hunt it down.

mig100 likes this.
  10. Dansac

Trader

If good beer if what you're after, and you like DIPAs, Mosaic IPA is really worth hunting down. Trust me on this one.

11. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

You're mistaken. The first thing I heard about Saint Archer was not their brand, but that Kim Lutz (of Maui Brewing fame) and Ray Astamendi were their brewers, and the first thing I heard about Modern Times was that Jacob was pushing some bottles on the back patio of Toro.

But for the most part, you are right.

12. sandiegoman

sandiegoman Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2014 California

You're missing out - trust me you need to hunt it down

13. 395er

395er Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 California

One thing I do know is Yiga is super talented, so it doesn't surprise me the Mosaic is good stuff. And his beers seemed to synch up with the more positive words I've read about SA. I'll watch for the DIPA.

14. Alpha309

Drank my bottle of the Mosaic last night. It was a very good beer, but I thought the Green Flash Mosaic Session had a much better flavor and use of the Mosaic hops.

15. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (231) Jun 13, 2006 California

I'm in the minority here- I bought 2 bombs of Mosaic DIPA via Trader Joes last night, solely based on the comments in this thread. It was the most onion flavored beer I've ever had. I guess I thought Simcoe was the onion hop, it must be Mosaic. It was tough to drink as every sip I thought '"pureed onions!" Maybe my 2nd bomber will be better......

16. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Initiate (102) Jun 30, 2009 California

Actually Summit is most commonly associated with onion. I don't know if there was any of that in this beer, but I didn't detect anything even slightly oniony. I think some people are just more sensitive to it, thankfully I'm not one of them.

17. MiScusi

MiScusi Meyvn (1,027) Feb 12, 2005 California

I get a lot of garlic/onion from Stone's Go-To, but not in any Mosaic beer I've had.

Saxmusik45 likes this.
  18. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 California

Agree with this. I can't drink Go-To because of how onion-y it is. Fortunately there's Ponto and Easy Jack and Even Keel out there to have as go-tos.

19. Dansac

Trader

O_O I think this blows GF's out of the water.

I do get the hop dankness, but I absolutely love it. :slight_smile:

20. Alpha309

It could have been I had a FRESH GF less than a week old. The Saint Archer I had was in the back, so I didn't see the box and there was no date on it. Could have been a little bit older. It was also from BevMo so it may not have been stored properly either.

Or it could have been that I had a Hammerland the night before, and that was a far superior DIPA IMO than the Saint Archer as well.

21. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 California

Taste is subjective, dude. You don't have to defend yourself for liking one beer over another, but your opinion on it is always appreciated.

22. Dansac

Trader

Well, the St Archer should be pretty fresh since it hit the shelves pretty recently. But it could have been mishandled at Bevmo I suppose. The bottle I had was incredibly bright, dank and forward, with just a bit of sweetness. Delicious.

23. ChazMania

I got my S hops wrong about onion with Summit / Simcoe. I also agree that Go-to is oniony. When someone says "dank" I think cannabis scent and flavors which I'm rather fond of:slight_smile:)

24. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (168) Nov 22, 2010 California

Yeah, I recently tried Port's Dank and Sticky and it smelled/tasted just like cannibis (what I imagine cannibis would smell/taste like, of course).

25. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Zealot (588) Oct 3, 2013 California

I didn't get ANY cannabis aromas or flavors in project dank or in any beer I've ever had

26. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (197) Aug 30, 2007 Oregon

The best thing Saint Archer has done is fire Ray, Dave, and Mike. Now we have Fall Brewing.

27. HeavySpeedway

Isn't it funny how that worked out to be a win-win situation?

The only conclusion I can draw is that some people just don't work well together.

28. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (958) Sep 4, 2010 California

From what I've heard Saint Archer's sales as a whole have been doing amazing

29. LookTheOtherWay

LookTheOtherWay Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 California

Being in S.D. I can pretty much see Saint Archer bottles wherever I go. Nothing has really pushed me to try them out other than their standard IPA. It's good, but with so many other staples in my rotation that I just enjoy the hell out of drinking I never really found my way back to them.
    We pulled a little DIPA blind tasting of some March freshies (Pliny, Stone EnjoyBy4.20, St.Archer Mosaic) and damn if that Mosaic wasn't some of the tastiest to many there. I really thought it stood out. I have to say, one hell of a slow clap to them on that one. If you haven't tried it, go grab one and give it a go.

Modernrickk likes this.
  30. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 California

At the risk of threadjacking, I feel a need to respond to this. It seems that your impression of Modern Times is a bit...off. I was a homebrewer & beer writer for 6 years before I got a job at Stone. I applied to be an Assistant Brewer, but because of my background in writing, they ended up giving me a job in marketing. I worked at Stone for 2 years, which was the best experience I could have ever asked for. I was already a beer nerd, entirely too frequent trader, homebrewer, bottle share geek, etc...but working at Stone taught me much of what I know about the industry. When I left Stone to start Modern Times, I immediately began working with my one-time trading partner Mike Tonsmeire (of The Mad Fermentationist blog) to figure out our beers. Well before any branding or fundraising took place, we had figured out what would become our year round line-up. In fact, every fundraising pitch I made included homebrewed examples of Modern Times beer (and no branding, since it hadn't been done yet). Beer was always the first and most important thing, and it still is. We have fun with our branding because...it's more fun. And pretty stuff is more fun than ugly stuff. And does a better job of respecting and representing the beer we work so insanely hard to make.

I also have to say that I'm a bit put-off by the elitist attitude on display in your post, especially coming from someone whose BA account was started 3 years after my first article appeared in BA magazine. But then again, it always seems like it's the recently converted who ordain themselves arbiters of what is and is not acceptable in a scene.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

ssam, micahburns, 4nimal and 25 others like this.
  31. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Zealot (563) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

For the record, I'm not usually fond of the direction most breweries take with their branding, but MT's is standout! The graphics are badass. Gonna buy some stickers to put on a bike (to replace the bike brand stickers) next time I'm there. :grinning:

ModernTimesJacob likes this.
  32. Alpha309

Nothing is better than seeing a bottle/can and drawing your eyes in. I find that the best brands all have excellent packaging and branding, and the ones that are not quite as good in the quality department flavor wise have the same issues with their subpar packaging. While it isn't always the case, the better brands to take the time to get their appearance down. I can't tell you how many beers I have tried just because they have had strong packaging that caught my eye. Modern Times nails it

Looping that back to Saint Archer. It is easy to find it on the shelf. It is simplistic but very nice on the eyes and easy to find in a crowd. This helps me find it when I know that I want a solid beer.

33. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Smog City, never would have bothered to try them had it not been for Saber-Toothed Squirrel. Of course that $5/bottle has cost me quite a bit more now since I keep finding and picking up their other bottles.

34. HeavySpeedway

Cockstaggeringly #NewMoney

LookTheOtherWay likes this.
  35. sandiegoman

sandiegoman Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2014 California

You got owned by Modern Times.

Modern Times has great beer. Highly recommended

36. jwolfe1311

jwolfe1311 Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2014 California

Never been a huge fan of St. Archer but their new Mosaic IPA is a top 10 IPA for me. Just came out

37. ChazMania

Having my 2nd Bomb now- which leads me to think I don't like Mosaic, It is so incredibly oniony and no fruit at all for me. Goes to show you how different tongues taste things differently.

38. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (286) Feb 13, 2015 California

Having their Mosaic DIPA tonight as well. While not my favorite hop profile, this is still damn good...easily better than Enjoy By IMO.

39. Dansac

Trader

It's dank as hell. Huge. I loveeeee it. I hate those malty, 'tropical' IPAs. Had a grapefruit Sculpin yesterday and it made me yawn. -_-

40. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Mosaic is great. I never really followed the saga of St archer but followed some of Modern Times. I think Modern Times made a few mistakes but are constantly improving and this guy Jacob is all over these boards responding to people's concerns or questions. I know through experience that building a business is incredibally hard and if I knew when I started what I know now I would have a few more dollars in my pocket and a few more happy customers. Bottom line is forums and blogs and what not are places for people to vent their frustrations and concerns but I think people take it too far sometimes. I think anyone before judging to harshly any business or plan should look at your own experiences at running a business or ask people you know who have tried or continue to run an organization full of customers and employees. In the end the reward is usually positive but getting to that point in the simplest terms is a bitch.

pinballplayer and mig100 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.