Saison/Farmhouse Ales Similar to HF?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by turfy, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turfy

turfy Disciple (337) Mar 17, 2010 Texas
    Trader

I love HF saisons, especially when I consider the clean, bright taste! Saisons continue to grow on my Wants list, but I'm wondering if there are any under-the-radar saisons out there that are easier to obtain. The wheaty/spicy/clovey/ester taste of some turn me off, so I'm hoping there are some out there similar (but understandably not as stellar as HF) that could be enjoyed and be more attainable. Maybe some hidden regional gems? Thanks.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,751) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Maybe some hidden regional gems?”

Well, Tired Hands in Pennsylvania makes some excellent Saison beers of varying brands. Unfortunately these beers are mostly draft and therefore not easily obtainable to a beer drinker in Texas. They do bottle some of their specialty releases from time to time.

Tired Hands is opening a second brewery this week but my understanding is that Tired Hands beer will be mostly draft only for the foreseeable future? Maybe someday they will in the future add a bottling/canning line to their new facility?

Cheers!

3. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (194) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Not sure if Logsdon gets out to you, but seizoen bretta has a very similar profile to some HF stuff.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  4. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (375) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Crooked Stave and some of Prairie Artisan Ale's saisons are very similar, not sure if you get distro by them.

5. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,110) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Hennepin and Boulevard Tank 7.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  6. cmwilliq

cmwilliq Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Wisconsin

Have you tried blatz?

7. cmwilliq

cmwilliq Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Wisconsin

But seriously boulevard tank 7

8. nolan_likes_wine

nolan_likes_wine Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2015 California

How similar is Grassroots? I see the Arctic Saison pretty frequently.

9. beernazi

beernazi Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2012 California

grassroots is hill farmsteads other brand, so i would assume they would be similiar

10. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Can't say about Tank 7, but if the OP doesn't like overly clovey/spicy saisons, I'd suggest Hennepin won't be his thing.

As for me, maybe some stuff from Anchorage? Jolly Pumpkin? Or even Funkwerks potentially. Anchorage being the closest analogue.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  11. nolan_likes_wine

nolan_likes_wine Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2015 California

I would assume so as well, but I'd like someone with first hand experience to chime in.

12. kfordham281

kfordham281 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2005 Georgia

See if you can get something from Funkwerks. The wife and I were out there last year and really enjoyed them.

13. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,806) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Without reading responses I'd say Tired Hands. While not identical they've each got their own taste that when I try a beer of theirs I instantly know who brewed the beer.

14. satribesman

satribesman Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2014 Texas

Grapevine Brewery has a great Saison

15. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I've never had a HF beer, but I am a big fan of dry, tart saisons by breweries like Crooked Stave and Anchorage. One that's easy to find that I like a lot is Firestone Walker's Opal. Its not on the same level as the others I mentioned, but I think its much closer to that end of the spectrum than the wheaty/estery/clove/banana end. Its definitely worth a try.

16. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,214) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Have been on a Saison kick lately. Really enjoyed the Saison Dupont, and while over in Louisiana this past weekend I headed straight to the liquor store to see what Great Raft they had out and lo and behold they had All My Tomorrows which is hopped with Mosiac. Meant to grab some bottle to take home, but left my Yeti cup on the other side of town. Tough call, that cup goes with me everywhere. I never thought I would say this, but wouldn't mind living in Shreveport.....

AndrewNations likes this.
  17. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Stillwater brews a variety of Saisons, don't know if they distribute in your area

18. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

I wouldn't say tank 7 is anywhere close to anything from HF.. Yeah its a great beer, but its not anything like the saison's OP is talking about.

JackHorzempa and American_Hawk like this.
  19. MacQ32

MacQ32 Meyvn (1,178) Mar 5, 2010 South Carolina

Right Proper Brewing in DC all day, unforuntately, they are draft only for the time being...

20. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

Its basically a side brand of HF's that involves collaborative brews with other breweries. So for example, Brother Soigne is a grassroots beer, but in every essence is a HF saison. Especially because it was brewed by Shawn Hill on his brew own brew system. Other grassroots beers still are developed with his expertise, and the saisons should use similar house yeast/bacteria that dominate a HF saison flavor profile.

21. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,588) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Saison Dupont
    Boulevard Saison Brett, Collaboration #4
    Prairie Hop and Ale
    Most anything from Jolly Pumpkin
    BFM 225 Saison

All pretty much sitting at every store in Texas.

22. Alesmither

Alesmither Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2015 California

Seconded

23. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,217) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I also have not had any HF beers (have had Hoppin' Frog, but think you are referring to Hill Farmstead!), but have you tried these;

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
    Anchor Spring Saison
    Boulevard Spring Belle and Tank 7

Not sure if these are available in TX, but pretty tasty beers in that style

24. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,217) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

25. Rob1110

Rob1110 Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 Massachusetts

Crooked Stave, Anchorage, Prairie and Jolly Pumpkin have all been mentioned and are all good suggestions as they all offer wild ferm and brett ferm style farmhouse beers (Jester King not your thing?). Locally, around here would be Rite of Spring and Titania from Enlightenment, as well as Oxbow offerings. While I don't always have access to Oxbow, Rite of Spring and Titania will be hitting shelves here soon and I'm psyched to stock up. Let me know if you're interested.

26. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (10,751) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

While these are all quite good, they are pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from "HF-style saisons."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.