Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

[Salem] Santiam Brewing

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Jul 7, 2012.

1. guajolote

http://www.santiambrewing.com/index.html

Opens today. I'm probably going to bike down to the tasting room later and give it a try. I'm just glad to see the beer scene in Salem coming into its own (there are a whopping three breweries here now!). Still a long way to go, but we're getting there.

2. joefc

Did you make it there yesterday? It's certainly nice to see anything happening in Salem. This is indeed a step in the right direction.

3. guajolote

Yes. Got there just after they opened & it filled up pretty quickly, which was good to see. There's a small, albeit enthusiastic, group of beer nerds in this town which seems to be growing.

The beers were good. They offered five yesterday. The two IPAs were good but unremarkable, IMO. The highlights were the "other" beers.:
    - Bramble On, a raspberry wheat, was tasty & refreshing. I generally don't like fruited wheat beers, but this was nice and dry with a good fruit character. In my experience, fruited wheats are usually overly sweet which kills the refreshment factor. This isn't something I'd normally order, but it came on the taster tray and I was pleasantly surprised.
    - Prince Charlie's Wee Heavy was strong, smooth and complex. Had a nice understated peatyness to it that I liked.
    - Pirate Stout is a rum barrel-aged (well, aged on rum-soaked oak) export stout with coconut. My favorite of the day. The rum & coconut melded perfectly. The coconut wasn't over the top.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what these guys do going forward. Any way you slice it, it's a step in the right direction for the Salem beer scene!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe