Sam Adams? Any hopheads like their products?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Knee_Deep_Fan, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

Hi gang, new guy here and am enjoying the reading although it really sucks not having access to what some of you have access to. I must find Heady Topper, you've all got me curious on that one!

My question is regarding Sam Adams who's commercials boast about them being a Craft Beer brewer. I've tried some of their stuff over the years and none of it popped, or satisfied my palate whatsoever. I do like double and triple IPA's and was wondering if Sam Adams makes anything comparable to what we would call Craft Beer? A buddy of mine has the same opinion as he's tried some of theirs and feels the same as I do.
    I mean, at least Sierra Nevada puts out some bombs suitable for daily drinking, love me the Torpedo and Hoptimum!

Thoughts?

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Craft Beer includes more that heavily hopped beers. (e.g. double and triple IPAs).

So the answer is "yes" there are some they brew that are enjoyed by many. One seasonal example that comes to mind right away is Old Fezziwig. Another beer often easily found is Noble Pils. But from the way you describe your drinking habits you wouldn't like either of them. They are however craft beers and Sam Adams is one of the pioneering craft brewers that helped us get to where we are today.

3. Knee_Deep_Fan

I guess I should have rephrased the question: Do they make a palatable IPA?

4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I think sam adams offers plenty of good solid beers, some even better than solid at reasonable prices. I like a variety of their offerings too many to list.

5. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Zealot (507) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Not for me.

6. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (636) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

That would depend on the taster...

cpjtr9559 and 5thOhio like this.
  7. CSpoons

CSpoons Initiate (158) Nov 13, 2012 Maryland

Old Fezziwig is prob my favorite beer from them. It's usually in the Winter Classics variety pack but they've been changing things lately so Idk if they took it out.

Edit: Ah, you're asking about IPAs specifically. Nvm then, carry on.

8. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Deactivated

If youre looking for a west-coast style IPA, their new Rebel IPA isnt bad. Best hoppy offering by them without a doubt.

Inglewood likes this.
  9. creal92

creal92 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2013 Kentucky

Not really, pretty much every Sam Adams beer tastes like it barely has any hops.

10. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i may be in the minority here but i thought double agent IPL was very good...rip the label off and youd never guess they brewed it w how much they love malt forward beers

11. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I like that one quite a bit, but I doubt that's what he's looking for unfortunately. I also like their Tasman Red IPA.

12. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,535) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Hop heads is an outdated term. At this point it simply refers to US beer geeks, as IPAs have risen to the top of the popularity mountain....and it's not even close.

I don't think you'll enjoy anything Sam Adams has to offer if you want the most popular styles. After years of geeking out, I've found myself coming back to Sam Adams, because they brew fantastic "boring" beers.

For example, Boston Lager, Cream Stout, Boston Ale, Noble Pils (although this one is a bit hoppier than I expect from a Czech Pils, but not over-the-top)

13. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I've never had a Sam Adams offering that serves as a comparable to any West Coast IPA. We are very different drinkers though, as I would never consider Hoptimum to be a daily beer. On the other hand, I still buy 4 or so SA 12-packs a year and they are typically nice "everyday beers" for me.

14. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (494) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I agree. I like picking up the occasional seasonal variety case. Are the beers outstanding? No. The price is good, and the beers are generally easy drinking, and tasty enough.

15. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Deactivated

Has no one else had Rebel IPA?

kguard likes this.
  16. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (2,107) May 28, 2010 California
    Society

I thought Latitude 48 wasn't bad. That's definitely the best from them that I've had.

Zanico, jdrum, Salud24 and 5 others like this.
  17. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (159) Jul 2, 2010 New York

I've found something with Sam Adams, which was my gateway into craft beer in the mid 90s (when I was 17-18) and worked at a beverage retailer.

To me Sam Adams used to be awesome. Then something happened - (to me) it started to taste more "watered down" and not as full flavored anymore. I attribute this to one of three things:

1) My palate changed and was wrecked by fuller, more flavorfull craft beers - ones that have more body then Sam Adams.

2) Same Adams, in trying to conquer craft, have "dumbed down" their beers since the mid 90s to compete more with the BMCs.

3) A combination of #1 & #2.

Not sure what happened, but I can't really get into Sam Adams anymore. Old Fezziwig was my favorite holiday time beer from winter 1994 until about winter 2003-ish. After that, it just didn't tast the same anymore.

18. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (909) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Sam Adams makes good beer.
    That's about the best thing I can say about them.
    Do they make really impressive, much sought after or innovative beers? No.
    I think Koch's comments disparaging hoppy beers is sour grapes.
    For a while back in the 90s Sam Adams was regarded as innovative and of the highest quality.
    These days no beer geeks seek out Sam Adams, Koch realizes that they are not at the leading edge of the industry and he's bitter.
    But again, they make good beer.

19. BoldRulerVT

Well said.

20. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I really liked this one too but I remain a skeptic on the imperial lager style in general. Leave it to sam adams to make the most likeable imperial lager I have had yet but it drinks very much like an IPA yes?

21. Gorillahead

Gorillahead Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Missouri

The Juniper IPA in the winter pack isn't bad at all.

Givemebeer and HoptimusMax1mus like this.
  22. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

They brew using German traditions, ie balanced and malt forward. The octoberfest is awesome.

23. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

Don't know about that I think bourbon barrel stouts are up there too. The best thing I can tell the OP about Sam is, that when you go to a chain restaurant you'll be thankful for Sam.

24. rather

rather Aspirant (202) May 31, 2013 California

never gotten a good hop fix from any of their beers. juniper ipa in the winter variety is not bad but not something I'd crave like stone ipa or ruination

25. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Remember - what's palatable to you may be over the top for others. And if you haven't already, read the article about Jim Koch and hop bombs. In a sentence, he doesn't like them. So, if you like heavily hopped IPAs or any other heavily hopped beers [I do, so I know a little about what I'm talking about], there aren't any Sam Adams beers for you.

5thOhio likes this.
  26. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

My vote is for #1. Same thing has happened to me. And I don't think Jim Koch would dumb down his beer.

27. MattXT

MattXT Defender (638) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

I just had a Double Agent IPL over the weekend, and I enjoyed it. I'd rather have a Jack's Abby Mass Rising, but that being said, it was one of the better Sam's I've had recently.

utopiajane likes this.
  28. BoldRulerVT

Remember this Sam Adams ad? Kind of funny that he calls hops the soul of beer. Apparently he doesn't like too much soul in his beer.

29. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,535) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

"My palate changed and was wrecked by bolder, more noticeable flavors in craft beers."

Boston Lager is a VERY well-crafted American Amber lager. There's simply no distinct, outrageous flavors that stick out in the beer. Such as mango, citrus, bourbon, cinnamon and nutmeg....etc. The other ones I cited earlier in the thread such as Cream Stout and Boston Ale are outstanding beers.

They would be considered "fuller" and "more flavorful" if they were Sam Adams Imperial Cream Stout and Sam Adams Boston Double Pale Ale.

Sponan, Salud24 and mythaeus like this.
  30. MarcM

MarcM Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 California

Old Fezziwig is in this year's Winter Classics.

CSpoons likes this.
  31. grnnectar

grnnectar Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Being from the boston area , i can safely say hat here is a huge demand for samuel adams. personally i think the company works best as a transition between commercial beers and the world of craft beer. i knew some kids in college that had been drinking natty light for most of thier days but when i told hem to try a beer from sam adams they were presently surprised. so i think sam adams works best a company that brews a certain type of beer that is meant to get people into craft beer styles. i giess lts like a trainingwheels brewery of some sort.one things for sure, people like jim kochs beer, he recently just became a billionaire

mythaeus and BoldRulerVT like this.
  32. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

well humm. Sam Adams makes some of the finest beer in the world. Try the hop tour beer, or just find you some west coast hop bomb I suggest STONE AB. enjoy.:grinning::rolling_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

33. grnnectar

grnnectar Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2013 Massachusetts

i consider myself an ipa freak and i really enjoyed noble pils and the whitewater ipa.

npala86 likes this.
  34. azorie

MADhombrewer likes this.
  35. Knee_Deep_Fan

But, I digress, do you think they're missing the boat (mass breweries) by not trying to grab some of the IPA market? Maybe Anheiser, or Coors have tried, or are working on competing in this huge market, or are they content with their current line or occasional new releases of yet another light beer or ice beer? Just me thinking out loud I suppose...

36. azorie

well did you read that article, i bet no. :grinning:

37. theconductor

theconductor Initiate (184) Nov 4, 2008 California

IPL = India Pale Lager

utopiajane likes this.
  38. Herky21

Herky21 Defender (684) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

The Latitude 48 all Mosaic is all that comes to mind. Otherwise I think they make a decent lager, Noble Pils.

RichardMNixon and RhyminBelmont like this.
  39. theconductor

theconductor Initiate (184) Nov 4, 2008 California

It's hard to argue that the largest (and possibly most successful) craft brewery in the country is missing the boat on anything...

herrburgess and 5thOhio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.