Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Sam Adams Brewing the American Dream Variety Pack (5 collaborations)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Samlover55, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (623) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    In what looks similar to Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp across America, Sam is releasing a variety pack with 5 collabs. More from All about Beer Magazine here.

Tone and Ranbot like this.
  2. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,316) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Can't be a collaboration 12 pack without Boston Lager...

3. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (392) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They could of at least modded the Boston lager for a change. Why's that in the box

4. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Nice to see that the Sam Adams efforts to help other, smaller breweries develop and become successful have extended this far.

5. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Sounds like something I can get into as well as actually get my hands on.

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,881) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. I appreciate that they did 6 with 2 bottles each rather than 4 with 3 bottles each. And they didn't load it with IPAs, you get a bock, a stout, a porter, and a saison.

Also, I'll agree with some others that the inclusion of the Boston Lager is a little odd, but it anchors it to Sam Adams, and it's a great beer so who can complain when it's only 2 bottles?

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I am all in on this but am soured on the Boston Lager. My one pet peeve is that they push this main item on us and most don't want it. Why could they not make a special beer for this release, then it was a home run.
    Cheers, least I can give a friend/neighbor the two Boston Lagers......

8. tzieser

tzieser Champion (841) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I lol'd so hard when I saw Boston Lager in there. Jim is trolling BA again! I was shocked that one time he didn't include it in a 12 pack ("Latitude 48 De-constructed")

I'm really looking forward to that Bock, though.

9. Squire123

Along with others I'm a bit put out by the inclusion of Boston Lager in these packs. We already know about that one. Maybe they just got a lot of it on hand.

10. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (479) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Wow, these actually all sound pretty good. Since the comparison to Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp packs came up, let's hope this is more widely available -- I never have seen those show up on store shelves around here...

GreenBayBA likes this.
  11. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (506) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Just checked our local Total Wine website and found that this is not available in our area and not eligible for shipping to NV. That really puts a twist in my crank. :angry:

GreenBayBA and peteboiler like this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (437) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

:slight_frown:

13. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (190) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I'll buy it if it's available around me. The Bock and Saison are the ones that interest me the most, so I'll just have to wait and see. Yet again I can see that the holier than thou attitude has taken hold because of the inclusion of one beer in the pack. Seriously, don't you all have something better to do than bitch and moan just because SABL was included.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  14. Squire123

Not really, I'm retired so I've got all day to work up a righteous indignation over any little ole thing.

Seriously, I don't like being forced to buy a beer I don't want to get the ones I do while paying for the privilege.

15. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

Couldn't have said it better myself. Way to pad your stats, BBC.

meb3476 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  16. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,192) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Cool to see Bosque a part of this. One of Albuquerque's gems. Hoppy stuff is their strength, so hopefully this collab is a good representation for them. Not everything they do is a winner, though, so I am definitely curious to see how this came out.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

But that is true of any variety pack, isn't it?

(I know the bottom shelf of my beer fridge is usually cluttered with "left-overs" of styles I haven't felt like drinking from a number of brewers' assorted 12's. "I gotta stop falling for these variety packs..." I think to myself as I sort through them just looking for something "normal" to drink...).

I suppose, somewhere*, they are people who look at the SA variety line-up and think, "Oh, well, there's at least two beers I know I'll like..."

* "Somewhere", just not on BA forums.

Plus, it's Jim Koch's favorite beer - and apparently he won't buy a 12 pack without SABL in it. (Even tho' he gets the BBC employee discount).

zid, cavedave, JimKal and 5 others like this.
  18. Squire123

Could be but I find it best to nurse just one grudge at a time.

zid, GetMeAnIPA, jakecattleco and 4 others like this.
  19. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

I'd argue that it is only true of the less-well-put-together ones. Stone's Hop Revolver 12 pack comes to mind as one that I think is quite good.

That visual is funny.

I guess there's that.

This bit always makes me laugh. He's consumed quite a bit of his own Kool-aid over the years. One of the reasons that they were late-in on the IPA trend.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

I would not call it bitching at all. I bet if you ran a poll most people would op out for the flagship beer being forced into the pack. And this holds true for any brewery not just SA. I would say the same thing for my favorites also, when I snag a variety pack I want variety not a beer that has been around for years and years, sorry.

stevesbeer, pjeagles, matcris and 3 others like this.
  21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

If you ran that poll on a beer geek forum (e.g., BA) I would tend to agree with that statement. If you ran that poll with the broader craft beer segment I would not be so sure; there are plenty of folks who enjoy and purchase SABL (they just aren't typical BAs).

Cheers!

22. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Poo-Bah (1,580) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

I like that SABL is included with the mixed 12-packs. Mostly for sentimental reasons, but I also still think it's a really good beer when fresh, and the SABL bottles included in these packs always are.

However, its inclusion in this pack feels really out of place. It makes more sense when the other 5 beers in the pack are all Sam Adams beers.

Pantalones, TongoRad and meefmoff like this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,012) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

BBC doesn't strike me as a company that does too many things on a whim. I bet that they have data that suggests their customers are more likely to buy a mixed pack when it includes the SABL.

24. drtth

I'd be very unwilling to bet against you on that one. :slight_smile:

FBarber, HoppingMadMonk and TongoRad like this.
  25. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,385) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Well, I'm in, and I don't mind at all that Boston Lager is included. It's a good beer, the collabs sound interesting, and the price is right.

Thecalmdrinker, lic217 and VABA like this.
  26. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I actually purposely bought a whole 12 pack of Boston Lager the other day. Its a wonderful all around beer. Also there's a $4 rebate on 12packs sold in NY until 7/31.

Happy that they have resisted the urge to add ginger or tangerine to it already.

rypkr, FBarber, eldoctorador and 4 others like this.
  27. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Actually the beers do sound really interesting - more so than many of the SN beer camps that sound thrown together (and I'm a big SN fan).
    Plus the profits go to helping food and beverage small businesses. Seems like an easy purchase to me.

28. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (379) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Boston Lager in a sampler... oh well, gotta save something for the wife. (see also: Vienna Lager in all Devils Backbone samplers)

ikapaMK likes this.
  29. AZBeerDude72

I would agree with that, I think that the beer has a good following and would actually do well with main stream people. Like you said here on BA it's a refined crowd looking for more, lol. Cheers

30. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (116) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

Oak-smoked, Mosaic hopped Maibock? I don't have room for that kind of negativity in my life.

Prince_Casual and Urk1127 like this.
  31. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've read that they put Boston lager in everything to appease people in that at least there's something familiar if you're not very adventurous.

I feel this complaint happens every single time. They are proud of that beer. And putting that beer in these packs actually helps non adventurous people buy it.

People buy 4pk for almost 20 bucks. So if you don't drink the Boston lager. You get a 10pk for 20 bucks. Where's the logic. It's 2 beers.

32. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I feel like on paper, getting a smokey, doughy mango doesn't seem so bad.

33. Squire123

Logic has nothing to do with my desire to gripe.

oldbean, ecpho, denver10 and 2 others like this.
  34. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,192) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

That's the one that sound the most interesting to me.

35. LavaLite

LavaLite Aspirant (219) Dec 3, 2016 Illinois
    Subscriber

I just got off the phone with Jim and he stated they included the Boston Lager so it would not show up the other beers. The release is about the other breweries and not SA. Pretty noble if you ask me.

36. BeerBobber

Wow a direct line to Jim! How awesome is that!

37. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (253) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

Please tell him to put Utopias in 6 packs.:slight_smile:

38. drtth

39. BeerBobber

I smell awesomeness!!

40. Jlabs

Jlabs Crusader (700) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

haven't heard of the breweries doing the collabs w/ SA, but I'm all for trying new beers..so this would be an easy buy if I saw it

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.