Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Sam Adams Fall Variety Pack 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by SpdKilz, Jul 24, 2017.

1. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Meyvn (1,453) Jan 8, 2009 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I started this thread last year near the end of July, and thought I would start it again this year :slight_smile:

Fall is my favorite time of the year and when I start hearing about/spotting the SA Fall Variety Pack I begin to get excited for crisp Fall days, football, and good beer.

I was going to hold off, but noticed on the SA website there are three incomplete beers that are now listed (http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers#seasonals):

Dunkelweizen
    "This amber wheat beer combines the spicy, fruity flavors of a traditional Hefeweizen with the sweet, toffee-like notes of roasted malt. With an effervescent body and crisp finish, this is the perfect beer to enjoy as summer turns to fall."

Harvest Hefe
    "This beer puts a seasonal twist on a traditional hefeweizen with the addition of warming fall flavors. Aromatic notes of cinnamon and nutmeg complement the slightly sweet and clove flavors characteristic of the style, making for a bright, spiced beer that is perfect for fall."

Honey Rye Pale Ale
    "Often used to enhance body and flavor, the rye in this beer also adds a hint of spice that complements the citrusy, spicy hop notes. The addition of honey malt adds a deep amber color and touch of sweetness that softens the spice and rounds out the flavor, for a crisp, bright finish."

I am assuming these will be in the fall variety pack, and at the very least Boston Lager and Octoberfest will be in there as well. Any guesses on what the sixth beer will be?

Cheers!

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,881) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The Harvest Hefe sounds good. I hope the Dunkelweizen comes out good as well.

Lot's of talk about Sam Adams seasonal variety packs on here lately, are they really pushing sales? I bought the American Summer and really liked the Tropic of Yuzu, and I've looked for the American Dream case but haven't been able to find it.

As for the missing beer, perhaps Harvest Pumpkin Ale?

#2 NeroFiddled, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

@NeroFiddled I thought the summer pack was a nice variety. I was really looking forward to Golden Hour but that beer I thought was quite poor. The others were average to good, IMO. I am looking forward to the fall variety pack as I do each year. I could do without a Pumpkin beer but I understand it is the 'seasonal' thing to do.

4. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (269) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

Saw it at the store today but I bought the Brewing the American Dream pack instead

I will pick it up next time

5. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

It's 20 lbs of Pumpkin

Gemini6 likes this.
  6. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

Well that'll work for me. I'm a little burned out on pumpkin beers from last year, and I might not be ready for them for a while but I liked that one. I gave it a 3.94 which is currently +5.1% over everyone else. If it's just 2 bottles in the 12 pack I'm sure I can handle that.

7. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

Judging from the Brewing the American Dream pack so far, I'm honestly hesitant on this one. 2/5 (I don't count Boston Lager) haven't been very good.

8. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm sitting on a stash right now but once that depletes I may pick up both the summer and fall at the same time. I still see summer around here.

Brolo75 and neenerzig like this.
  9. SpdKilz

Subscriber Beer Trader

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I think this sounds like a rather solid fall pack. Glad they are stuck with the 6 styles with 2 bottles a piece rather than the 4 styles with 3 bottles a piece format they did a few times a couple years ago.

Cheers!

10. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

I'll probably pick it up later this week. Kroger in Ohio is really good at getting variety packs ASAP from Sam Adams (because the headquarters is in Columbus) and I saw the Fall Pack and the Brewing the American Dream pack together today.

SpdKilz likes this.
  11. stevens_dan

stevens_dan Initiate (125) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Anyone have a picture of the box? I don't drink much Sam Adams nowadays, but I always look forward to seeing the fall variety pack :slight_smile:

SpdKilz likes this.
  12. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (115) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

I'll be by a Benny's tomorrow I'll see if they have the pack out yet if they do def gonna have to buy two cases

13. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (57) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

14. davedog_7

davedog_7 Initiate (126) Jun 26, 2017 Georgia

It's one of my favorite packs as well. There is also a new one called Maple Red Ale on their site (out of season, currently).

I actually found a picture of the label (the new style) of that, Harvest Hefe, 20lbs. of Pumpkin, and others from another site. Not sure if this will be part of it, or for something else, but it sounds great.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Oc2skHiAnWPwEQ8j7NwCHM/image_thumb?imgmax=800

SpdKilz likes this.
  15. SpdKilz

Subscriber Beer Trader

https://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/seasonals/Maple Red Ale

Seems like it will be in the Beers of Fall pack per the description on the right hand side of that page. However, it seems similar to the beer that was in last years fall pack (but has a different updated label).

davedog_7 likes this.
  16. davedog_7

That one was just "Maple Ale" in name, but I do believe you're correct. Looks like maybe they just added "red" to it.

Oh well, I rather enjoyed that one, even though I think a lot of folks didn't.

SpdKilz likes this.
  17. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

The Samuel Adams Beers of Fall pack is out I picked up two cases today at Walmart it has:

Boston Lager
    Octoberfest
    20 Pounds of Pumpkin
    Maple Red
    Black Lager
    Honey Rye Pale Ale

18. davedog_7

Nice. Doesn't seem to have made it down my way yet, but I'm sure it will be any time now.

19. Lucular

Lucular Meyvn (1,300) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I will definitely be picking this up. A couple of SA Boston Lagers and Octoberfests are never unwelcome and the other 4 are new to me.

20. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (198) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm really excited about the Black Lager. That was my favorite beer back when they made it year-round. I wonder if it's the same recipe or a newly developed black lager.
    I'm looking forward to the Oktoberfest and Boston Lager.
    I'm intrigued by the Honey Rye and Maple Red.
    I don't really want to drink the Pumpkin but I'll try it at least.

jbertsch likes this.
  21. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,236) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

The industry looks to be going more to variety packs and less to seasonals. Some seasons have been kinda fickle for seasonals (most notably spring) while the variety packs may signal popular beers that may then turn into a seasonal or year-round at a later date.

Boston Beer makes some good beer and I'm looking forward to sampling soon.

22. NeroFiddled

Beer Trader

Wow, and my local is still sitting on a half pallet of American Summer Variety packs. I even went to two other distributors today and found the same - and not a single Oktoberfest from any brewery. :confused: I'm going to have to go further afield. Hopefully I haven't missed the American Dream case.

23. SpdKilz

Subscriber Beer Trader

Thank you for the info! I'm looking forward to this Fall Variety Pack for sure. Cheers!

24. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I agree, I am a huge Helles fan and this one really missed the mark for me.

Interesting variety pack and I will be picking it up for sure, I used to drink the Black Lager regularly and was sad when it was axed and happy to see it back.

neenerzig likes this.
  25. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

So after trying all six beers in this pack on a scare from 1 through 5 2.5 being average.. I must say all Beers are above average. Individually rated:

Boston Lager 5 out of 5
    Octoberfest 5 out of 5
    20 Pounds of Pumpkin 4 out of 5
    Maple Red 3.5 out of 5
    Black Lager 3 out of 5
    Honey Rye Pale Ale 3.5 out of 5

I have always loved Sammy Adams variety packs and this is a must buy. I can't wait for the winter pack. I hope this helps people!

Cheers!

SpdKilz likes this.
  26. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,706) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

Still wish breweries would stop this stupid business practice of releasing seasonal beers out of season. Guess I'll have to pick one up and stash it in my cellar for about 2 months because by then the winter/Christmas mix pack will already be out.

Eric

RobHB likes this.
  27. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Usually mid October is when the winter pack starts rolling out. I think they release the fall pack just in time for football because yesterday I think summer camp started for the NFL. Think about it football and fall beer . It makes sense but I see why your mad about the seasonal thing

SpdKilz likes this.
  28. stevens_dan

stevens_dan Initiate (125) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Oh wow, the pack lineup sounds great this year. Looking forward to the Black Lager again.

ESHBG and SpdKilz like this.
  29. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (131) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

All three of those sound great--especially the harvest heffie. This year has been my "summer of wheat" so having a fall wheat seasonal would be a nice continuation of the trend for me. Also, I may be in the minority here but I love pumpkin beers, and I hope they have a good pumpkin brew for this pack, whether its the harvest pumpkin or something new.

30. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

20 Pounds of Pumpkin is in the pack its good

LifeOfTheBeer likes this.
  31. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Well then the kids will like it. I'm not kidding, they like pumpkin brews.

SpdKilz and VABA like this.
  32. RonaldWilsonReagan

RonaldWilsonReagan Initiate (194) Apr 4, 2015 California

33. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

lol I am 21 and I approve of this post

matcris likes this.
  34. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

[​IMG] Interesting... I know this is the fall pack trend but I think I found two new beers that are going to be in the Sammy winter pack.

35. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Idk why the picture isn't showing on my end but on the website it says it was published July 2nd 2017 and the two new beers were the Amber Bock, and the Oatmeal Stout the amber bock had Christmas oarderments on the label and the oatmeal stout had the nutcracker on it..

SpdKilz likes this.
  36. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Wish these came in can format.

37. SpdKilz

Subscriber Beer Trader

38. supafrozty

supafrozty Initiate (126) Jun 22, 2013 New York

wish I could get Fat Jack haven't had it in years

Lonestar9 likes this.
  39. davedog_7

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.