Sam Adams Noble Pils

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

Can't find it anymore. My Beer guy says it has been discontinued. What gives?

dogbert617 and Greywulfken like this.
  2. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,966) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Oh.. Oh well.

3. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,511) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Hope not... I always bought some when the weather was right

gopens44 and stephens101 like this.
  4. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

That'd be a shame, solid beer for the right price.

5. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,756) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Society

Hard to find a good pils in these parts so bad deal.

6. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,531) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

You may be on to something because the 6er I picked up last night was "best by Dec 2014". Yikes!

If this is true, its a huge mistake for SA. It was their one standby beer that I always went to periodically year around.

7. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

Pils must be fresh to be good.

CJNAPS and utopiajane like this.
  8. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,251) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Sam Adams has a knack for discontinuing their best beers. Only a matter of time before Old Fezziwig gets retired.

Omnium, dogbert617, ESHBG and 6 others like this.
  9. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Alas. That's one of the Sams I really like.

MrGondo likes this.
  10. Rback

Rback Initiate (127) Feb 26, 2012 New York

try victory prima pils

chrisjws and gopens44 like this.
  11. osant37

osant37 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 New York

I Really Hope It Has'nt Been Discontinued. The last case i bought said drink before March 2015. Havent been able to find anymore with a fresher date recently.

VABA likes this.
  12. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,656) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

It doesn't show as discontinued on the Sam Adams web site. Your beer guy needs some throttling. :wink:

I'd contact the brewery and ask who distributes in your area. The site has a good beer finder too.

Ranbot and drtth like this.
  13. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

I picked up a bottle last sunday. I didn't notice the date on it though. I'm glad a got to try it if it's being disco'd. It wasn't as good as some of the other pilsners I picked up, but it was still good.

I'm not sure if they used corn in it, but it did taste a little corny compared to a typical german or czech pils. And it wasn't quite as crisp as some of the other ones i picked up. It probably cost a little less than the others though.

14. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (67) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

Don't you say that!!

15. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (67) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

I work for a distributor and according to an email, Noble Pils has been discontinued as of April 1st.

16. Berg-the-Boiler

Berg-the-Boiler Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Illinois

:slight_frown:

17. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,656) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Tell 'em to update their web site -- it's the 21st Century fer cry. :wink:

18. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,811) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Let me guess, they're going to replace it with a random wheat beer that tastes 80% the same as their other wheat-based seasonals. They need to just solidify a year-round Blue Moon knock-off and stop wasting seasonals.

Gemini6, pro100, AlcahueteJ and 11 others like this.
  19. BWM-77

BWM-77 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Kentucky

Noble Pils 2.0...

swolepeer, PapaGoose03, JrGtr and 4 others like this.
  20. KevTurnersBootburn

KevTurnersBootburn Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2014 Massachusetts

If those idiots had sold it in 12 packs (ideally canned) instead of keeping it in a 6 pack format only I am sure that would have wound up being a top seller. I can't think of another beer by them I would even consider buying regularly.

21. Mattney

Mattney Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2015 California

Well, crap. Another solid pilsner gone. So many people, including most of my craft beer-loving friends, look down their noses at pilsner as if it's a lesser style of beer. I get raised eyebrows and remarks for having Urquell (one of my all-time favorite beers) in my fridge. A terribly underrepresented style, and it's sad to see a decent one like this go away. Alas. At least there's still Pivo, Urquell, and Mama's Little Yella Pils.

22. Mattney

Wow. Very well said. Cheers.

Domingo and Kadonny like this.
  23. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (510) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

24. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Interesting. So much for the supposed power of marketing research and marketing. That beer was chosen to be introduced to the line up after lots of tasting sampling sessions with potential customers and a couple of other beers being preference test. After being introduced it was as heavily marketed as any beer in their line up.

Clearly beer drinkers are not the sheeple and captives to marketing that some cynics like to claim.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Dunno, the majority of beer drinkers seem to chase extreme beers and as mentioned above, turn their noses up at a less violent, crisp and clean style like Pils. Maybe BBC is depending ON drinkers being sheeple and departing from their own research (suggesting that perhaps people follow their instinct anonymously or behind closed doors,but follow the crowd in the light of day....) to depend on group think offerings. I don't think the Rebel line is too bad at all, but good, bad or indifferent, it's likely an exact response to group think.

Now with all that being said, perhaps they are going to release a new Pils, maybe to my personal chagrin, a German Pils this time since they are a touch easier drinking than a Czech.

dogbert617 likes this.
  26. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

:grinning:

Which actually reinforces my point. If a heavily marketed beer can be bypassed for something like extreme beers that are not heavily marketed, that tells us something about the power of marketing--i.e., easily overridden by other things.

gopens44 likes this.
  27. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (601) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I wish they would just bring it back as a seasonal, that way I would at least be able to find it on tap. I actually miss Alpine Spring, I preferred it to Noble Pils.

AlcahueteJ, Acforster2 and drtth like this.
  28. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Yeah, and call it Sam Summer.

Gemini6, jkn09 and Acforster2 like this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Never cared for Noble Pils, it's ok, but why drink ok. I can get local Pils that is both fresh and outstanding when I want a Pils.

Kadonny likes this.
  30. Ericness

Ericness Devotee (415) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

As of April 1? Hopefully someone just has a bad sense of humor.

31. Mattney

Well, yeah, most of us can get better pilsners, but that's not the point. The point is it was something different from SA for a change, and now it's gone, and as Domingo so eloquently put it abve, they're now probably just going to replace it with just another wheat-based seasonal or IPA or somesuch. No one here said it's the best pilsner in the world.

jeebeel likes this.
  32. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,860) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Had a unique taste and it was the Sam beer I bought the most. Too bad.

BWM-77 likes this.
  33. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,793) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

This sucks if it indeed has been discontinued. I hope that they at least bring it back in a mix summer 12 pack.

34. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

Brilliant marketing - every time I grow attached to one of their beers, they discontinue it. I suppose that forces me to try other stuff of theirs until I find another one I like that they can then discontinue.

35. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,746) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

So can I living in PA: Troegs Sunshine Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Stoudts Pils, Neshaminy Creek Trauger Pils, etc.

I must confess that I did not purchase much Noble Pils because of my local alternatives.

Many folks in the US do not have good local Pilsners. Sam Adams with its nationwide distribution was a good choice for those folks but I guess they weren't buying it in sufficient quantities?

This situation makes me wonder how well Sierra Nevada Nooner Pils will sell nationwide.

Cheers!

jimboothdesigns, utopiajane and drh88 like this.
  36. twizzard

twizzard Defender (650) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

Can we get a name?

37. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Saw this post earlier so I sent them a message via facebook. Their reply was that it's retired for the time being.

38. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Damn, that was a very solid beer.

39. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,774) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Used to love having that on tap in the dead of winter. Then spring would arrive and summer ale would arrive and stay until September. Yes that is sarcasm. Noble Pils was fantastic for them and then they had to get greedy and make it year round. Bring it back and get rid of cold snap. Actually release it in March, Summer Ale in June, Octoberfest in September, and Winter in December. Like the seasons should be!

lambpasty and AlcahueteJ like this.
  40. BWM-77

BWM-77 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Kentucky

I wonder if it will be replaced with the Downtime Pils that is currently in the Summer mix pack??

JackHorzempa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.