Sam Adams Noble Pils

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Of a local Pils that's great? Olde Mecklenburg out of Charlotte makes the best German style lagers I've had which is admittitedly thin. Always around always fresh and date stamped.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,612) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A ‘tip’ from @BWM-77

A new German Pilsner from Sam Adams (part of their summer pack):

“Samuel Adams

Downtime Pilsner

A laidback golden pilsner that’s full of character. The fun of brewing is that it’s always evolving, even in the world’s most popular beer style, the pilsner, there’s still room for creativity. For our German Pilsner we wanted to showcase both new & heritage hops from the original hop gardens of Bavaria. The classic Noble hops offer a floral spiciness while the new varieties create a fruity & citrusy character for an elegant, light bodied yet flavorful brew.”

HOP VARIETIES

Hallertau Mittelfrueh & Hersbrucker Noble hops, Herkules, Mandarina

MALT VARIETIES

Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend, German Pilsner Malt

YEAST STRAIN

Samuel Adams lager yeast

COLOR

Golden / 5 SRM

ALC. BY VOL/WT

5.0%ABV – 3.9%ABW

IBUs

AVAILABILITY

Beers of Summer variety pack

Cheers!

TongoRad and BWM-77 like this.
  3. HoptimusMax1mus

HoptimusMax1mus Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

I like the Downtime Pilsner but that was no reason to nix the Noble Pils. At least there is something...

BWM-77 likes this.
  4. Berg-the-Boiler

Berg-the-Boiler Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Illinois

Summer Ale Could serve that purpose, just rename it Sam Adams Black Sun.

BWM-77 likes this.
  5. BWM-77

BWM-77 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Kentucky

Yes!! Haha!!

6. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (448) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

There is more than one kind of marketing.

7. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yep. Just as there is more than one example of failures of varieties of marketing.

8. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,460) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yes I saw the new Pilsner in the summer sampler pack. My guess is they discontinued Noble Pils, to make brewery room and ingredients to go into the Downtime Pilsner. I'm sure like Alpine Spring (basically a Noble Pils with a splash of lemon) the Downtime will be very similar.

And Sam Adams seasonal packs are the beer format that they are most successful with, so I'm guessing that is the reason for axing Noble Pils.

Noble Pils was my favorite American made Pilsner (over all the others, Sunshine, Pivo, Prima, Sly Fox, Nooner, Beer Camp. etc...). Only a few German/Czech ones tasted on par or slightly better IMO. Hopefully it makes a comeback from time to time.

BWM-77 and TongoRad like this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I was at the bar reading this thread, and started Counting from about 35 taps or so. 4 IPAs including Hopsickle, Sucks, and two others. 6 lagers, one of which was Nooner, some locals. Maybe 5 Stouts or Porters, Plead the Fifth being the best of the bunch. So Pils are not being ignored, here at least.

I can understand some parts of the country are dry for a good Pils unless the big boys make it, so missing Noble Pils might hurt a bit. But like most things if it doesn't sell its going to go away, and they don't need another ho hum IPA IMO.

10. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I liked Noble Pils quite a bit. It and The Wright Pils axed in the same year.

Is 2015 the start of the death of the Czech Pilsner?

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (429) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Well there goes another SA beer I like. And this one stings a bit too, as there is some nostalgia attached to this beer for me. :slight_frown: I can hope that this new Downtime is the replacement and while I haven't tried it yet, I am sure I will enjoy it.

But I guess I can see why SA is deciding to discontinue this beer and in my market, it sat on the shelves...far too many solid local options to choose from.

I sure hope not! I can get down with IPAs/DIPAs but if I see one more new one vs. something else... :grimacing:

12. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,460) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

The Noble Pils was really well liked in our BA community (those that appreciate well made lagers). Unfortunately I don't think that particular beer, although its an easy drinker, brought in the volume sales and consumer levels that BBC demands. The summer ale, cold snap, oktoberfest etc. seem to market better and bring in the volume sales. I always thought from the beginning that the titile "Noble Pils" sounded too pretentious for the masses and would be a little off putting to a lot of the crossover/average beer drinkers.

13. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (487) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Pretty much sums up my experience as well. I liked Noble Pils well enough, but I rarely bought it over the local PA options.

Just had some Sunshine Pils last night. :slight_smile:

drtth, drh88 and JackHorzempa like this.
  14. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,442) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

FWIW, the SA website doesn't indicate that it's been discontinued...

15. J-Rye

J-Rye Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 New Jersey

I don't know about that strategy. Their recent advertising leads me to believe that Sam Adams is acutely aware of the need to produce interesting bolder beers in order to be competitive in this burgeoning market. Whether they'll take that risk remains to be seen, I suppose.

16. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Meyvn (1,326) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts

yeah, it's gone. worst beer news of the month as far as i'm concerned.

JrGtr and ESHBG like this.
  17. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,424) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I generally do not like to bash SA, but one thing that I surely dislike about SA is the inexplicable way they kill off some of their best beers.

Noble Pils was a super beer for the price. I just don't get kicking it to the curb.

To the OP: look for Victory Prima Pils

ESHBG likes this.
  18. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Disciple (353) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

I've always thought their Noble Pils was one of the best of the large distribution craft pilseners. I would grab a 6 every now and then, but I'm one of the lucky ones with very good local alternatives. The Austin Beerworks brewery is literally a 10 minute drive from my house. I sometimes go there on the weekend when the weather is warm and get a really fresh Pearl Snap right from the tap. It's cool, crisp and refreshing, and that's good because the place ain't air conditioned...

19. HeislerGold

HeislerGold Initiate (131) Oct 19, 2013 Michigan

Sam Adams has enough decent/good discontinued beers for a "Lazarus pack" as was semi-jokingly suggested for Sierra Nevada. Just pick 4 beers from the list and make your own discontinued beer variety pack:
    Honey Porter
    Holiday Porter
    Noble Pils
    Alpine Spring
    Black Lager
    Scotch Ale
    Pale Ale

keithmurray likes this.
  20. racer2k

racer2k Devotee (421) May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

The Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner was a fantastic absolute hop bomb when it was available. I heard that the large amount of hops used in the process regularly clogged the plumbing that moves the beer so they discontinued this fine beer. Not sure that this is the truth but that is what I heard. I have not seen this beer in quite a few years.

21. JackHorzempa

Society

I suppose it is inexplicable by definition (since Sam Adams did not publicly announce why Noble Pils is discontinued)?

I am fairy certain I know the answer though: they discontinued it because it did not sell well enough to warrant them continuing to produce it.

Boston Beer Company is a business and I am sure they would continue to produce Noble Pils if they were making a sufficient amount of money on this brand.

Cheers!

22. MistahBeah

MistahBeah Initiate (0) May 12, 2013 Massachusetts

A lot of times a distributor will stop carrying something if it doesn't move well. They will tell you it's been discontinued, but they only mean that they're not selling it anymore. Not saying that's the case here. Just speaking from experience

23. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,424) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

In this case, you may very well be dead-on.

However, it is hard to deny that SA has a tendency to put a beer into rotation and subsequently take it out of rotation so fast that the beer in question never has a chance to catch on. I'm not saying that this happened with Noble Pils but it clearly happens often with SA beers.

Furthermore, I absolutely have no data but it's hard for me to believe that Noble Pils DIDN'T sell well. Who knows? IMHO, hard to find a better widely available pils - maybe Victory Prima and SN Summerfest.

24. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

Downtime? Port City Brewing, my local microbrewery, makes "Downright Pilsner" Hmm.

25. JackHorzempa

Society

Oh boy!:slight_frown:

No more trademark infringement cases, PLEASE!!!!:grimacing:

HeislerGold likes this.
  26. beerassociate

beerassociate Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2011 New Jersey

Victory Prima Pils blows it away. Not sweating this loss one bit

27. dogbert617

dogbert617 Initiate (68) Jan 6, 2015 Illinois

LOL, don't remind me that I stupidly kept hoping against hope that a Jewel that had the winter pack with Old Fezziwig would eventually put that on sale for a few dollars off a few months ago, but never did. :slight_frown: And when I revisited that store and saw their last such SA winter pack was sold, I reluctantly said f it. Tried looking at other stores(even local ones in Chicago and suburbs that much less often put beers on sale), and I never found it anywhere else either.

For whatever reason, I've been increasingly longing to see a comeback of Noble Pils. Sadly, they still haven't done that. And looking on Beermenus, indicates that a few stores only have Noble Pils anymore. I wouldn't be surprised, if their remaining stock of it was dated by a few months. :slight_frown:

28. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,941) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Came here to post something similar. If I remember correctly Noble Pils sold incredibly well as a spring seasonal, so they moved it to year-round. I never felt that was a smart move, I feel craft drinkers are far more likely to buy your pilsner if it's seasonal. See Troegs Sunshine Pils and Sierra Nevada Summerfest (we'll see how Nooner does).

I have to admit I largely stopped buying Noble Pils when it moved to year round. Part of that was my palate changing as I became obsessed with pisners. I realized this one was far too hoppy for my liking. That being said, I still enjoyed it enough that I would probably still pick some up each spring if it was seasonal again.

Acforster2 likes this.
  29. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Bring it back and kill Cold Snap, and Escape Route, and the half dozen other unfiltered vaguely wheat flavored half-assed beers in that lineup.

They're very capable brewers so it annoys me when they do this shit

30. chinabeergeek

yeah, cold snap and escape route are mediocre beers at best.

maybe make noble pils a "rotating" beer like dogfish head does with some of its beers, with an announced release schedule and smaller batches. get people to seek it out at predetermined intervals for optimum freshness, rather than a regular "year-round" beer that could be sitting on the shelf for half a year or more.

31. Chris33

Chris33 Aspirant (246) Jan 10, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

drain pour

32. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,670) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

We are probably not Sam's target demographic at this point. They are trying to get people to crossover from BMC. Must not have been selling.

I thought it was a fine beer, but not something I'd ever go out of my way to get. If I'm in the mood for a pils, it is usually Firestone's Pivo Pils.

bubseymour likes this.
  33. chinabeergeek

well sure, you're in CA, where firestone can be obtained fresh...

34. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Poo-Bah (4,573) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Are they still brewing the Cranberry Lambic? That should go waaaaaaay before this does!

ESHBG likes this.
  35. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,401) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

We are Pils rich here. With Prima, Braumeister, Pikeland, Stoudts, Sunshine, Pivo and probably a few I've forgotten, I honestly couldn't care less if Noble Pils is dropped.

HeislerGold likes this.
  36. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (487) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I actually liked when it was seasonal, because quite a few bars would have it on tap. Once it moved to year round, they no longer had it on tap since they carried the seasonal offering. I actually saw less Noble Pils once it went year round.

37. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (429) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I tried Downtime and enjoyed it quite a bit, a solid substitute for Noble Pils.

38. Nickels55

Nickels55 Initiate (98) Jun 29, 2012 Pennsylvania

This thread almost gave me a heart attack. Just got back from the beer store and there it was: Samuel Adams Cabin Variety pack. Noble Pils is one of the beers in the mix, so call off the crazy talk about this beer being retired.

39. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, a few bottles in a seasonal variety pack is not 'full employment' either.:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

chinabeergeek and cavedave like this.
  40. TheOriginal

TheOriginal Initiate (109) Feb 6, 2011 North Carolina

If the crowd likes it, and SA makes, it won't be around for long...

jeez, haven't seen that beer around in 12+ months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.