Sam Adams to release Utopias 2021 on October 11

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Rug, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,297) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

You can read the article here:
    https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/09/17/sam-adams-utopia-beer-2021-illegal/
    It's looking like they finished it off on cherries this year, that should be interesting. At $240 per bottle does anyone think it's worth it? Is it relatively difficult to find out in the wild? I'm not sure if their brewery will have it on that day or if I should be looking around at liquor stores near Boston. Anyone else gonna hunt some down?

Uptownal, Roguer, SFACRKnight and 4 others like this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,624) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

It's certainly not worth it to me.

ChicagoJ, IPAExpert69, Argail and 2 others like this.
  3. Rug

Society Trader

Can't argue with that haha

Whyteboar and Squire like this.
  4. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,635) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Dunno. In my 10 years actively searching for and trying new beers, I've never seen a bottle. But then, I avoid Boston.

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar and Rug like this.
  5. BigIronH

BigIronH Champion (860) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I wouldn’t say hard to find, although relatively pricey depending on vintage. There are several bottles for sale right now on MBC. I would love to try some and would have no problem paying retail for the opportunity. That being said, I don’t want it bad enough to pay 2-10x secondary. The chance of me finding any in a retail setting near me are slim to none. Cheers.

dcotom, Whyteboar, Harrison8 and 3 others like this.
  6. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (770) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I hope for the 240.00 dollars the 2,000 pounds of Michigan cherries are organic- Cherries are one of the dirty dozen for pesticides-If they organic are I would try it otherwise a pass. I bet they are not organic-

ChicagoJ, WCKDVBZ, Whyteboar and 5 others like this.
  7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,234) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

For those of you who don't want to pay the $240 but want to try the beer, you can look for the opportunity at some bars that will offer a one-ounce pour for ten bucks (probably higher than that since the price of a bottle has gone up since my last time seeing this opportunity for $10).

8. BigIronH

BigIronH Champion (860) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Have you seen full bottles of this near you Tom and do they stick around? Also, what bars have you seen serving it?

Whyteboar and micada like this.
  9. Manta200

Manta200 Poo-Bah (1,853) Apr 14, 2018 Kentucky
    Society Trader

I will definitely show up in the Cincy taproom and try it. In case I like it I will buy me a bottle.
    You only live once!

10. Squire

Society Trader

Can't fault that logic.

11. micada

micada Champion (814) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

If anyone has a Wegman’s nearby…you can get it.

12. micada

Trader

There’s a local place that had dozens of bottles. I’m sure there’s still plenty. If Michigan wasn’t six hours one way, I’d mule some.

Whyteboar and BigIronH like this.
  13. Rug

Society Trader

Suppose they'll have it in the Boston taproom the day of? They didn't really make that one clear with the press release
    Yeah a Wegman's up by Boston will probably end up with some I feel

Whyteboar and micada like this.
  14. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,775) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

Just once Squire.

15. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,775) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

I saw it listed on a website, gopuff, I never heard of but couldn't order it. I'll try it once if I can get a Utopia.
    Looked at Half Time and Total Wine. zero

Whyteboar and Rug like this.
  16. PapaGoose03

Society

I never see the bottles on a shelf anywhere near me, but after I splurged 8 years (?) ago and split the cost of a bottle with my brother, I haven't even bothered to look for it because it's a one-time experience. That was the year that Costco got it and I had to drive to Grand Rapids to get a bottle. I won't say they got a bunch, but there was no line to get a bottle. And Costco being Costco, they had it priced about $15 lower than what it was selling for at regular stores, which I think that year was $180. I don't know if Costco has gotten any since then.

The Horrocks here in Battle Creek had one bottle two years ago which they sold an ounce at a time but I don't recall what the cost was. I think they posted its availability on Facebook but by the time I saw the notice and got there, it was gone.

My advice is find a couple buddies who also want to try it so that you can split the cost. Each of you check with your local stores to see if they plan to get it, watch social media for other stores, and be ready to pull the trigger once the word is received. AND decide ahead of time who gets to keep the trophy bottle! :wink:

#16 PapaGoose03, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Whyteboar, Jaycase, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  17. Rug

Society Trader

Oh yeah, splitting the cost with a friend is a necessity for this thing. Unfortunately I agreed to let @Pru keep the bottle this year, but next time the trophy is mine :+1:

18. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,183) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Releases on my birthday but not in my state. If anyone's looking for a birthday present idea for me....

thebeers, Whyteboar, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  19. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,131) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

This seems as good a place as any to ask—why does Utopia cost so much? $240 places it in the category of a rare single malt. (Well, maybe not that rare—scotch drinkers can weigh in on that.) Is it the aging, the process, the ingredients….?

20. Rug

Society Trader

I would assume it’s more a matter of aging and process rather than ingredients. From what I understand it’s the solera method of blending and the oldest liquid in there has been resting in barrels for about 30 years. What the percentage is, we don’t know, but I think that’s where the premium comes from. That and the artwork that is the bottle

21. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (664) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

As a native to Cincy (although moved back not too long before COVId), would love to know where I can try this. Never has the opportunity, always wanted to, and doubtful I’d buy a bottle due to the short shelf life (once opened), but would certainly like to at least try it.

Whyteboar likes this.
  22. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Side comment for those looking for this in the wild: I have seen a large number of beer stores hold onto their Utopias bottles until Black Friday. Something to ask about if you are truly interested. If you hunt BCBS, can maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Depending on what all they release on Black Friday, that can probably make it both more or less difficult to obtain.

Whyteboar and Rug like this.
  23. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,962) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I've seen it in certain grocery stores around here in the past. Whether it shows up this year?

Whyteboar likes this.
  24. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,048) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

That's always been my take as well. I've been able to try it twice, thanks to the generosity of friends. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it, but for me it's not worth the money. For others it might be, but not for me.

Am currently in Paris France, and have been taking the opportunity to try some extremely expensive and limited white Burgundy I've always wanted to try. I feel the same way about the burgundy that I do the Utopias. They were great bottles of wine and I do like white Burgundy, but for me it's not worth the expense. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one and done for Batard Montrachet, Chevalier Montrachet and straight Montrachet.... the same way I'm pretty sure I'm done with Utopias. Plenty of other great beers and bottles of wine that I enjoy equally as much without the fancy price tag.

#24 John_M, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2021
  25. Squire

Society Trader

I've done the once more than once.

26. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (174) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Ever post a response that was more than one sentence? Asking for a friend.

pjeagles, SFACRKnight, Squire and 3 others like this.
  27. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Savant (905) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

They serve it at the shareholders meeting every year.

SABERG, Whyteboar and Rug like this.
  28. Manta200

Manta200 Poo-Bah (1,853) Apr 14, 2018 Kentucky
    Society Trader

I have been told the Sam Adams Cincinnati Taproom serves it by the shot glass on release day. That's what they did two years ago, unfortunately I missed that one. Won't happen this year!

29. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Champion (832) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

Hey, I would be happy to meet you halfway!
    Been a while since I’ve done a road trip for beer.

Harrison8 and micada like this.
  30. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,335) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

We usually get a bunch in January or February. It will be interesting to see if there is a price hike here. In ‘15 and ‘17 it was C$110. It went up to C$150 for 2019. If it isn’t too much more, I’ll likely buy a few.

Rug likes this.
  31. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,028) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Short shelf life once opened?

I have to disagree with this. I enjoyed my 2013 bottle of Utopias over the span of 4-5 years after opening. There was never any noticable change in the beer.

JrGtr, Bitterbill, colby600 and 11 others like this.
  32. Rug

Society Trader

Yeah I would imagine that's the case given the alcohol content is so high. Also bottle stoppers would probably keep it fresh for even longer

SFACRKnight likes this.
  33. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,292) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

While there's a crown cap under that cap, the cap itself is a threaded "screw on/off" unit with an inner liner of plastic. Likely seals better than a cork "stopper".

34. Squire

Society Trader

Because they can.

BigIronH and meanmutt like this.
  35. Squire

Society Trader

Rarely.

36. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I am glad that this is your experience, but from the many comments posted that I have read, it seems like most people seem to indicate that it changes rather substantially over the course of a single year. So, if I were to be buying this, I would assume that I have a year to drink it for it to retain its flavor as close to what it was when originally opened. No doubt experiences vary, but given the number of times I have read that, I wouldn’t take any chances and assume I would get many years out of it.

No Disrespect; I am risk averse.

bluejacket74 and Harrison8 like this.
  37. PapaGoose03

Society

Did you refrigerate it after opening?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  38. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,028) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

No.

I kept the cap tightly screwed on and I kept it in a closet in my basement which stays around 65 degrees year round.

39. micada

Trader

You Michigan folks get loads of good things, so I could be tempted.

Harrison8 and BigIronH like this.
  40. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,554) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

When I took the Sam Adam's tour they said they lose money on Utopias and that they make it just for fun.

Roguer and Rug like this.