Sam Adams to release Utopias 2021 on October 11

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Rug, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Rug

Rug Meyvn (1,352) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Interesting, I just had a 2019 last night and thought it was quite good. $240 good? Not particularly, but I split it with a friend so the cost wasn't too much of a hit

2. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,388) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Utopias is worth it for me, but only in the same way that a $200+ bottle of Scotch, Pappy bourbon, or wine is worth it for someone who enjoys those.

Utopias isn't going to go bad in the bottle. It's basically flat, so no worries about loss of carbonation.

So if you enjoy a shot (or very small glass) as a celebration, it can last you quite a long time, potentially even years - and it's very worth it for me. Being able to break out the Utopias to celebrate a significant event with a friend? Absolutely.

I don't see it any difference from treasuring it as a rare, fine liquor - and like liquor, but unlike beer in basically any other format, you can ration it the same.

3. Rug

Society Trader

This is what I'm gonna do with my next bottle. Drinking it all at once with a friend was fun, but not something I think I'd do again

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,912) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Whats that saying aboot Gunga Din?

Rug likes this.
  5. Rug

Society Trader

:joy:

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. Synergy87

Synergy87 Initiate (165) Jan 21, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm big into organics too but not in the context of my alcohol, as alcohol is far more damaging than any residual pesticide you would be exposed to.

JrGtr, Harrison8 and BigIronH like this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Maybe they do lose but they get shit tons of positive PR around the release and I bet they sell a bunch of beer as well.

Seen it a few times but can’t drop that much on it. I did just buy a 4 pack of Utopias BA WWS. That right there is cash made around the original Utopia bottle release. They do well even though they say they “lose money” on the release.

Enjoy

8. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (776) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Alcohol in moderation is healthy, cherries have like 32 different pesticides on them. Also he is claiming to use 1 ton of them. I am not talking about a little glyophosate but a quantity of the pesticides will be in the beer. Have at it, more for everyone else-

9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,906) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

That's an odd take, do you think the presence of pesticides exacerbates or moderates the health impacts of alcohol?

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,316) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, that depends on if you're a bug or not. :smiley:

Peach63, ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  11. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Crusader (776) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I meant more for everyone else because I would not touch it. (it was phrased a bit weird) I know of no beneficial aspects for pesticides in beer. If you drink in excess then add basically poison I would assume that would be healthier without the 32 poisons- Remember Moderation is the key-

12. jesskidden

Society Trader

Do you drink beer brewed with US-grown hops? According to the 2020 report given at The INTERNATIONAL HOP GROWERS’ CONVENTION there were 328* hectares of organic hops grown the US, out of a total acreage of nearly 25,000* Ha, so about 1.3%. (Similar stats for more other hop growing countries).

* 810 US acres / 61,663 US acres

Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

By residual pesticides do you mean after they have been washed?

BigIronH likes this.
  14. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

While I do not eat fresh non organic cherries or strawberries along with a few others I do not go to the excess of not drinking a beer with cherries or even not eating a cherry pie. I have these so Infrequent I can be ok with myself about it. The 4 bottles of BA Utopias WWS I will share will be a tiny fraction of bad things I ingest.

More power to you if you go the full on organic route, I can’t afford$ to but do what I can. I figure driving with the windows open has me ingesting poisons so I might as well enjoy the beer.

Enjoy

15. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I know one person that makes a serious effort to drink only organic beer. We're lucky to have two local breweries that produce many organic beers. Those two breweries probably represent 90% of his beer consumption and to consume any modern ipa styles he has to settle for offerings from one of the breweries that uses organic grains but not organic hops (they told me they can't source enough organic hops besides the c hops to make a batch of ipa).

Anyone sticking to strictly organic beers has a very limited selection

16. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Crusader (748) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Wow. That's like 75% of what I spent at Zwanze Day, but for only one bottle as opposed to 3 bottles plus scads of draft pours.

That said...

...that, I might show up for. A shot glass for less than Johnnie Walker Blue shot prices, that I can justify. :laughing:

Beer_Economicus and Rug like this.
  17. Manta200

Manta200 Poo-Bah (1,905) Apr 14, 2018 Kentucky
    Society Trader

Last info I got from the taproom: "...We will have utopias later for our anniversary party in November. We’re looking at November 13th."

18. Antg8989

Antg8989 Meyvn (1,037) Jul 18, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

We have the opportunity to get (1) to sell at our store in NJ. But it is not allowed to be purchased by any employee. Apparently there is a beer festival in south Jersey where they are serving half oz. pours. Need to head there I guess.

Rug, PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  19. jesskidden

Society Trader

Can't you ask your BBC distributor rep what other nearby stores got it?

½ ounce? So, a tablespoon? of a standard shot of liquor. Do they serve it to you in an eye dropper? :rolling_eyes: "OK now, stick out your tongue..."

BigIronH, Rug, PapaGoose03 and 4 others like this.
  20. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Crusader (737) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Big Red Liquor is the largest liquor store in Indiana. Largest meaning the sell the most volume, although pretty sure the largest by any metric. Anyway, awhile back I got an email saying that they would be doing 1/4 oz pours of Birthday Bourbon until the bottle was gone, leading up to the raffle for the purchase to buy 1 bottle (at an inflated price, although nothing crazy).

1/4 Oz. W. T. F.

Harrison8, thebeers, Rug and 2 others like this.
  21. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,296) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Is it worth it? That’s a difficult question as everyone’s situation is different. I’ve purchased one bottle of Utopias, only vintage I’ve ever seen on the shelf (was actually behind a counter but you get my point, only time I’ve ever had the opportunity to buy one). It was $199. Probably about 5 years ago, and I still have some left. For me, it’s 100% worth it and without question. Drink 2-4 ounces at a time and that’s 6-12 drinking experiences.

And it’s fucking phenomenal. Like other worldly good. So yeah, essentially $20 a pour for a world class beverage experience that you can savor and spread throughout the years is a no brainer to me. I mean hell the local bars by my place now charge $8 for a fucking Jai A’lai. So like 2.5 Jai A’lai drafts vs a 2-3oz pour of Utopias, I mean it’s obvious what the preferred option is between those two IMO.

bluejacket74 and Rug like this.
  22. Beer_Economicus

Trader

i’ve said this before on other areas of this site and to friends/BA, but yet to say this in this thread:

There are many expensive whiskeys out there - some retail expensive, and others expensive simply due to their rarity (IE price hikes to be in line with secondary market pricing). Anything up to around $600 isn’t crazy to me, but $400 is where it starts to get a bit hard to swallow. Why these numbers? Well, a bottle has over 25oz, and I will pretty much never pour more than 1oz at a time (in fact, often just 0.5 Oz). But assuming a 1oz pour, that’s only $16/pour for a $400 bottle. Is that an everyday pour? No, certainly more of a special day pour, but I also often only have 1 “drink” in a night. That may be 1oz of whiskey or that may be 1 BCBS. Many of the big stouts now adays easily eclipse $16 - hell, many IPAs are $5. It’s not difficult to hit that $16. So, at that price, it’s well worth it to me.

Now, those are whiskeys that I know I like, and that I know I’ll have open for 5-12 years at a time.

Unfortunately, I haven’t run across any such limited whiskeys to be able to make such a purchase - but I would if I did. Only thing I have run across is a bottle of 18-year Macallan for $230 - which is a steal by today’s prices. I did pick that up awhile back. It was at a Kroger in KY of all places. I sort of hinted that they must have lost this bottle, and they said they weren’t sure, they just got the 1. On very rare occasions I’ll see it for $270ish, and with due diligence you can find it for $300, but almost always it seems like it is marked as $320-400. I still remember when I first started drinking scotch, around 2009, that you could find bottles for around $180. :nauseated_face:

Harrison8, Rug and Squire like this.
  23. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (455) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I've been lucky to try several vintages of Utopias. I haven't bought a bottle myself, but friends have, and I've had it at tastings and Extreme Beer Fest on a few occasions.
    It really is like nothing else in the beer world - as others have said, more like a cognac or brandy. Depending on where you are, where you go and where you look, it can certainly be found - it usually won't be out on the shelf with the rest of the packs; often it'll be in the locker where they store high-end Scotches or wines.
    I do (tentatively) plan to get some for my 50th birthday, which will work out for the 2025 release.

24. Squire

Society Trader

I remember when single malts were bottled at 94 proof.

Harrison8 and Bitterbill like this.
  25. Beer_Economicus

Trader

:astonished:

Don't recall exactly where you're located, but I have an annual event in Mississippi every september. Cancelled last year; this year I opted not to go due to Delta and Mississippi being, well, Mississippi. Anyway, would be nice to have a drink one of these years if it works out. Or maybe I can just smuggle you some Lagers or OGD (BIB, 114, or both) - assuming that both of those are still in your wheelhouse. Course, I'm happy to bring anything.

Squire likes this.
  26. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

how do you even serve that little liquid? Were they doling out teaspoons?

Squire, PapaGoose03 and Rug like this.
  27. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Knowing this company, pretty sure they were using those little disposable 'cups' that look a lot like the plastic 'cup' that comes on the top of a bottle of medicine (especially children varieties). I've seen - and been served - from those in a few liquor stores that offered samples. Quite small.

I doubt they have a measure line on the cup - but perhaps - but my best guess is that unless it was just a line full of people, that they probably went heavy and most people got closer to 0.5 - 0.75 ounces.

28. Rug

Society Trader

I found a 2019 last week and it was fucking awesome. However, me and my friend are stupid and drank the whole thing in a night. I’m gonna pick up a 2021 when it releases to enjoy over time

29. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Was it a good night?

Harrison8, Rug and o29 like this.
  30. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

In case anyone else is curious, 2019 Utopias was 28% ABV and 25.4oz which translates to 12.34 "drinks" or since it was shared, 6.17 "drinks"/person.

Which, while still a fair amount of alcohol, if drank over a longer evening/night and consumed with food this might not be as hangover-inducing as it sounds.

31. BigIronH

BigIronH Savant (951) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Don’t ruin it. I want to believe they poured half each in a rocks glass and had it gone in an hour.

32. Rug

Society Trader

Indeed :slight_smile:
    Yeah it’s not bad in those terms but we kept on drinking and drinking. I was quadruple fisting beers at one point between Utopias, WWS, and some other beers I can’t recall. So fun night, but rough night
    Maybe not an hour, but it was gone quicker than it should have been

33. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Sounds like a good time with a good friend. If it's not a regular activity I maintain that a solid night of really tying one on with good company

Harrison8, Squire, BigIronH and 3 others like this.
  34. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Champion (808) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

Oh crap, imagine that hangover

Rug likes this.
  35. Rug

Society Trader

It was something lol

eldoctorador and BigIronH like this.
  36. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (225) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

If anyone happens to pick up a spare bottle I'll trade you a Rolling Rock for it :grin:

Rug likes this.
  37. Squire

Society Trader

You're welcome anytime, even empty handed.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  38. Squire

Society Trader

That's not a drink, that's a sniff.

39. Peach63

Peach63 Savant (968) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Well, I got one. Set me back $399.59 with taxes.

[​IMG]

Full disclosure: I shipped it to a friend in SC as he can't buy it there. He'll reimburse me.
    The one I bought for myself 2 years ago for 50 bucks less was good enough for me.

Squire, imtroy703, Bitterbill and 3 others like this.
  40. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,542) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I have a bit of free time this weekend. I may head across my state line and see if I can't stumble into a bottle.

Beer_Economicus and Peach63 like this.