Same Song, Different Artists

Discussion in 'Music' started by riptorn, Aug 10, 2021.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I just went through a spell of "gettin' back to basics" in the last coupla weeks by playing the Harry Smith collection in my truck, which led me back (well, forward really) to The Holy Modal Rounders. I think of them as a group I came across after my musical formative years (too late!) but, doing the finger math with each digit representing a decade, it's been a half century or so that I often find myself singing one of the songs they did that appeared on their re-issued 2 first albums (<still a !@#$ bargain). Sometimes I even have to ask myself, "What song is this?" as I repeat a phrase or a tune gets stuck my head.

A acquired taste? Perhaps. But some of the choices in this thread show such a taste well-represented.

moodenba and jmdrpi like this.
  2. jesskidden

Society Trader

This exchange reminded me of how Otis Redding "covered" the Stones Satisfaction within months of the song's release, so quickly that many thought it was a Redding's song that was covered by one of them English long-haired bands. (Easy enough mistake to make, given the origins of many of the early Stones songs). Always good to hear it (or any Otis, for that matter).

I think it might be better than the original, and apparently I'm not the only one. (There's a live version from the '67 Stax UK tour - I guess?- on YouTube, too, but I think it's too fast...)

And, on the topic of soul greats doing "British Invasion" songs, maybe the greatest one? Stay for the final guitar work at the end, thanks to another long haired dude (pictured below).

3. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, it's a good one, alright.

Oh, yeah. I remember that.

Lots of great Waits songs done by others, of course, and in some cases the better known/liked versions (similar to Dylan). While I'm usually always on the side of the "the ORIGINAL (goddamit!)" I do like to pop in John Hammond's Wicked Grin for a quick and easy dose of Waits, produced by Waits himself.

(w/Augie Meyers on the Vox organ).

MrOH, Snowcrash000 and moodenba like this.
  4. jesskidden

Society Trader

Ditto for "Suzie Q" - that was Dale Hawkins, who recorded for Chess, cousin of Ronnie (see "The Band, history of "). Funkier/swampier that the CCR version? Not quick as long, tho', I'll give you that.:grin:

(Pre-Ricky Nelson) James Burton on guitar.

MrOH, steveh, Redrover and 1 other person like this.
  5. moodenba

moodenba (706) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Insomnia stream of conscience?? All of your recent posts provide great Spotify ideas. (The closest I got to hearing the Holy Modal Rounders was a Peter Stampfel and the Bottle Caps CD.) WLIW-FM has a program that is exclusively 78s. Episodes are streamable from the website. Joe Lauro, the host, has a big collection of music, including film. He produced a good documentary on Howlin' Wolf. The premier featured guest Hubert Sumlin with discussion and some music. Kanopy streaming (available through libraries) has a bunch of interesting music docs.

jesskidden likes this.
  6. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog (355) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Very true, the Tom Waits penned song is great, but the Ramones crushed it! They took a fantastic song & made it pure punk...1-2-3-4:grimacing:!!!

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  7. barrybeerdog

SKY DOG!!!!

8. barrybeerdog

Word was that Picket wasn't comfortable doing the song, but Duane & the Swampers pushed him to do it & well, as they say, the rest is history.

To have been at Muscle Shoals during that era would have been amazing to see & hear!

MrOH likes this.
  9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi (2,133) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I really dig this version of the Bob Dylan tune Walkin' Down the Line. I don't really know anything about the singer, it originally came across one of my Pandora channels.

10. jesskidden

Society Trader

I read the news today, oh, boy --- Jeff Beck dead at 78. RIP.

Based (loosely) on Ravel's Bolero (Page supposedly also instrumental in its creation).

AZgman and riptorn like this.
  11. riptorn

riptorn (478) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

AZgman likes this.
  12. AZgman

AZgman (447) Dec 22, 2011 Arizona
    Society Trader

Dylan cover? Well the best has got to be Jimi Hendrix playing all along the watchtower!

13. AZgman

AZgman (447) Dec 22, 2011 Arizona
    Society Trader

Here is another for you music lovers. Led Zeppelin's "Since I've been lovin' you" by Jimmy Herring (Widespread Panic guitarist). He just kills it!

jmdrpi likes this.
  14. jesskidden

Society Trader

Ah, after half a century of mostly hearing the Hendrix version (by him or others) I kinda like to get back to the original from John Wesley Harding album.

But there are others who definitely agree with you. Like this Hendrix cover band (?) - that lead singer dude almost has the Jimi-hairdo down but otherwise his outfit is so conservative. Drummer's having a good time, though.

15. jesskidden

Society Trader

Damn. Yet another death, one I just read about (died last October of leukemia). Was just watching a somewhat recent Marshall Crenshaw (writer of the song) video wishing an ailing Robert well and saying something to the effect "I wouldn't be here without him."

Great song, here with Danny Gatton on guitar from a SCTV episode (seems lip synced to me?).

riptorn likes this.