Sam's Club Beer Advent Calendar

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jvgoor3786, Sep 15, 2022.

1. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I was in Sam's Club today and saw they have a beer advent calendar for the first time that I can recall. I can't figure out who brewed the beer. I opened a box and all the cans look just like the picture on the box with only a style listed. (I didn't pull out the cans to look closely at the label though.) Anyone know anything about it or purchased it?

[​IMG]

Roguer and Beer_Economicus like this.
  2. DownyIsHungry

DownyIsHungry Savant (965) Feb 6, 2015 Minnesota
    Society

3. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,875) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looks like Minhas.
    [​IMG]

rgordon, Rug, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  4. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,321) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Can't help you there but I will say it feels a little early for an advent calendar.

5. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,321) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Found one source that said $35.96

dcotom likes this.
  6. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania's outdated liquor laws are for the birds!
    I would give my left reproductive organ to be able to buy beer at Sam's, Costco, Walmart etc.
    Even our Aldi's does not have beer, nor our local Trader Joe's!
    I know there are states with more strict restrictions, but c'mon already.
    Get with the times!
    I'd have to visit my Father in Law in Arizona to try the Advent calendar beers, which may be an option now I think of it. I could always have him grab one to drink when I get there?
    Hmmm?

7. crazyspicychef

That looks like my kind of variety pack, like they used to be in the 90's.

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,750) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Couldn't the store just apply for a retail license like my local supermarkets? I can buy beer at my local Giant, Wegmans and Acme supermarkets.

And the Target in Plymouth Meeting has a license to sell beer as well.

Cheers!

9. crazyspicychef

The Costco Calendar looks even better with beers from Austria and Germany.
    Now that's right up my alley.
    I'd probably drink them all in 4 days though.

10. crazyspicychef

There is a very limited supply of licenses to be given out at once.
    I heard of an auction that is happening where they're offering up old & unused, revoked, and the like of licenses. Even then, they are not cheap whatsoever. Pa sucks.
    Our Giant's & Wegmans sells beer & wine, but Pickins are slim.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That's the beauty of the beers being from Minhas. No worries about freshness, date codes, "Best by" dates, etc. - because regardless of how long it's been since canning, it was not and will never be "Best".:grimacing:

steveh, scaliasux, Coronaeus and 14 others like this.
  12. jvgoor3786

Society Trader

I think it was $32 or so.

13. jvgoor3786

Society Trader

Interesting. These will be fun to put in the database.

Jaycase likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

I was at my local Wegmans recently doing some grocery shopping and I purchased two six-packs: Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest (Marzen) and Tonewood Fuego IPA. I didn't feel "slim" here.

Cheers!

Braunmeister_1943 likes this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Even if the German one is mostly pretty "meh," it has to be light years beyond anything from Minhas. They desperately need to investigate what their western neighbors at City Brewing are doing to make their contract stuff so much better.

16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,082) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The liquor laws are very strange. Are you not a fan of steel reserve fruit punch slushies in a to go cup in every shady pizza/ beer store haha

bret717 likes this.
  17. moodenba

moodenba Defender (614) Feb 2, 2015 New York

There might be some issues negotiating the distribution system in PA. It's possible that retailers that self-distribute most of their products (Costco, Sams, Aldi, Lidl) might need to obtain their private label (and other) alcohol products through a local distributor (PA speak: importer). Too much hassle and extra cost?

Odd rules are everywhere. In NY each package liquor retailer (which includes wine, but not beer) is usually restricted to one outlet . One result is that Costco has one company-owned liquor outlet (Oceanside) in the state; some other Costco's have a nearby, but independent, liquor store nearby, but they don't carry Costco brands.

18. moodenba

Whenever I see Monroe WI on a package, I suppress my anger, and try to remember those good beers by Huber in the 70s. Would I still like them as much now as I did then?

19. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,030) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The PM Target was a nice beer stop when they first sold beer, $16 SN 12 packs, Troegs and Half Acre for $1 more. One day I stopped to get some SN and the price was much higher. I asked about this and the cashier said someone came in and changed the prices. Does Target not set their own prices? Have not been back in well over a year if not two years now.

Enjoy

20. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (3,091) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I sure as heck won't be buying this. I have NEVER had a good beer from Minhas. I don't think I would take it if they gave it to me for free.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I was gonna go back and edit my post ('cause I can never leave a post alone, that 15 minute edit period just calls me) with a postscript of something like:
    Fred Huber - RIP (despite Minhas)

It would take some research with access to private records to figure out why 3 of the surviving old line brewers (a very small percentage of the 50 or so left at the start of the "Craft Era"), Cold Spring, Minhas (Huber) and The Lion have such terrible reputations these days.

As you note Huber's Augsburger and a few other beers (Regal Brau, Huber Bock) were well respected, Cold Spring has their Export distributed nationally by Merchant du Vin (I guess it might even have been brewed for MdV?) and I liked the Manhattan Gold and a few other early contract-crafts that came out of The Lion, as well as their Stegmaier Porter and Liebotschaner Cream Ale <but that might have been based on value.

Was is just that economic pressure to survive meant constant corner cutting, speed-ups and cheaper ingredients by the several new owners each company experienced? Nowadays, I guess, they all dependent on co-packing, flavored beers/FMB's, and other beverages for the bulk of their production.

moodenba likes this.
  22. moodenba

Two of the old line brewers that went from mediocre to good were Walter (Eau Claire) that became Hibernia, which failed quickly, and West End (Utica), rebranded as Matts/Saranac, which is surviving. I think the smaller brewers had some of the same trouble that the bigger crafts are having now: sustaining wide distribution with specialty products. Contract brewing isn't necessarily detrimental to quality. Matt's Saranac beers are pretty good, and I know a craft brewer near me who a few years ago contract brewed his bottled beers at FIFCO/Genesee with very good results. He had to work hard to convince the FIFCO corporate brewers to use his methods and ingredients, though. (He wouldn't use The Lion because, at that time, he considered their facilities to be substandard.)

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  23. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I've always maintained that a whole lot of brewers might have survived if they could have competed in the "Craft era" when it was possible to sell domestically-brewed beer for more than the national macro brands' "premium-priced" beer, using better ingredients (more hops, more malt) and processes, etc., but back then the common wisdom in the industry was surviving meant brewing a lot of one kind of beer (adjunct lager) as near as possible to your brewery's capacity and sell it for less than the nationals' flagships - even though, economies of scale might have meant that their beer cost more to brew - higher labor costs (less automation), higher raw material expenses (lacking the quantity discounts the macros could get), etc.

Most of the other survivors took advantage of the Craft Era one way or another - contract-brewing, creating their own line of craft beers, co-packing other beverages, etc.

Maybe the one outlier was Yuengling, which avoided contracting and stayed with an adjunct-heavy portfolio, even while they did ride the craft wave by implying their ale, porter, black & tan and, especially, their newly created amber traditional lager were "craft" when it suited them. And moving some of their beers into near-craft price segments. Given they brew over well 10 times the beer they did in the 80s, can't say they were wrong.

Addendum:

Oh, yeah. And the craft beer geekery's concept of "If you make good beer you'll suceed, if you make bad beer you'll fail" is one that I read and think to myself "Uh, I can give you a few dozen examples proving that's not always the case..."

#23 jesskidden, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  24. crazyspicychef

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Urk1127 likes this.
  25. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (359) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

A few more years and seasonal creep will reach the point of seasonal coming out in the right season!

richOutsidePhilly and Jaycase like this.
  26. Jaycase

Society Trader

Yes, I can picture it now. September 2023...
    ::cracks open 2024 Festbier:::
    ::checks best by date:::
    May 2025?!?!

PapaGoose03 and jageraholic like this.
  27. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,214) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah saw this the other day when I was there. For about 2 seconds I got excited then did the math. Probably took them 2 months to package it and get it on the shelf, then if I got it, wouldn't start drinking it for another 3 months. No going to pass. This past year I ended up building my own
    1. Clown shoes 12 pack advent calendar
    2. Southern Star 12 pack advent calendar
    3. Got the 12 days of IPA from Karbach to push me thru the new year.
    This is the best way to go in my opinion and the beer quality is much better. Only issue is on the Clown Shoes I had already had about half of them before, but not an issue they were all good

Axtimusprime likes this.
  28. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Defender (633) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

I concur! I’ve been quite pleasantly surprised by Wegmans, Giant and Acme (Albertsons) selections! I’ve found Heady Topper at both Wegmans and Giant. Recently I purchased a 4 pack of Voodoo “Big Black Voodoo Daddy “ and Ommegang “All Hallows Dark “ at Wegmans!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. richOutsidePhilly

richOutsidePhilly Initiate (43) Jan 27, 2021 Pennsylvania

Wow! I've been to all 3 of those hundreds, if not thousands of times and NEVER saw any Heady! The selections in general are fairly good, nod to Wegmans for the best and lowest prices. But things have gone somewhat downhill since they first started selling beer, about 10 years ago. And that's all 3 of them.
    PA used to be famously effed up (LCB, I'm talking to you here) but things have improved greatly. And the BYO (Bring Your Own) policy for restaurants that don't have a liquor license can greatly reduce a dinner tab.

30. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Defender (633) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

It’s Infrequent, but occasionally both Wegmans and Giant have had Heady Topper!

31. JackHorzempa

Society

As was discussed above it is a periodic drop thing. I have purchased both Heady Topper and Focal Banger at my local Wegmans but you gotta be there when the infrequent drop occurs. As you can imagine those beers sell out fast! Once a Haze Bro sees them he texts his crew who come in that day (or the next) and buy them up quick.

Cheers!

32. richOutsidePhilly

I'm gonna talk to my guy at Giants!

33. richOutsidePhilly

Best I ever see at Giant is Hopslam. But that's not the unicorn it once was. A few years back they had so much of it that it was still around in the Spring (albeit still at the February price).

34. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW my local Giant does not get 'white whales' type beers (e.g., The Alchemist beers) but they still have a reasonable mix-a-six price and occasionally they have some beers I enjoy in the mix. A few months ago they had some very fresh Cigar City Jai Alai beers (only 2-3 weeks old) so I bought four cans of those beers plus a couple of others.

For folks who are super fussy Giant may not be the best beer retailer but I have bought a number of beers from them over the year(s).

Cheers!

35. Gourdhead

Gourdhead Initiate (32) Sep 16, 2022

I got one, don't have the receipt, but think it was $26.99 for 24 12oz cans, all different.
    Brewery is Minhas Craft Brewery, Monroe WI, and their page here doesn't list the advent beers.
    I just tried pumpkin spice ale (saving the ones that sound better for last), and I got down about 2/3 of it before pouring out the rest. I'm hoping maybe most of the box are good, but don't expect anything great.
    Costco's beer advent calendar is much better. Costs twice as much or a little more, but they're 16oz cans, all different German beers from different breweries, and worth the extra cost.

36. Gourdhead

Gourdhead Initiate (32) Sep 16, 2022

Back to Sam's advent beer box. Cookies & Cream Porter is worse than it sounds. One sip, then poured it out.
    Peanut Butter porter, 2 sips before dumping it. Same for Chocolate stout.

37. jesskidden

Society Trader

So, the Peanut Butter Porter is twice as good as the Cookies & Cream Porter, then?:grin:

38. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (3,091) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Sadly, knowing Minhas Brewing, I doubt it will get better. When Axe Head Malt Liquor is one of your better products, you're in trouble.

39. Jaycase

Society Trader

Appreciate you taking one, err 24, for the team. Interested to hear if any are decent, well at least worth finishing the 12 ounces. :wink:

40. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,879) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Anything Cotsco is better quality than Sam's Club (which is a division of Walmart Inc.). And Costco cares about their employees, customers and small/independent brands/companies.

#40 BMBCLT, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Gourdhead, Bitterbill and DIM like this.