Samuel Adams Boston Lager Marketing Takes A Shot At Its Own Market

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jason, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,618) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Just saw this commercial and though it is pretty funny coming from a brewery that has pretty much flooded the market with almost every flavor under the sun with many being short lived / one offs.

Gratz on the 30 years but boasting about it this way is a bit odd IMO.

#1 Jason, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    RichardMNixon, Mikecap, Pahn and 12 others like this.
  2. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

If its the one about goofy tap handles coming & going, that's the one I mentioned in the Lagunitas thread. I wonder if that's what caused a stir.

3. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

It's about as low-budget as mass-market ads get. I wonder if it's as tongue-in-cheek as their "Walmart" commercial (no, not actually Walmart, but the one that looks like a Walmart "replace" ad). If you want to critique beer ads, try the AB "brewmasters" ad. That one is truly insipid.

notchucknorris and LeperJim like this.
  4. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

Ehh, I think that their is no harm to it. If they want to focus on the fact that they have a very long lasting flagship beer, well hey, no harm their at all.

I do want some of those tap handles however :stuck_out_tongue:

5. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

Wow, a BA founder throwing a negative slant on a craft brewery....never thought I'd see the day.

6. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I wonder if it was a national ad or just northeast.

7. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,030) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Saw it. Thought it was...odd.

jrnyc and Jason like this.
  8. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,710) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

We're supposed to forget all of the different BBC labels that have also come and gone?

VictorWisc and Jason like this.
  9. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,024) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

That is the first time I saw it. I thought it was a creative and well made commercial. Lets the TV viewing public know that its been around for a long time now, while other craft beers, both breweries and styles have come and gone, yet it remains same recipe and has survived. It also puts the viewer into the association with craft and not BMC products.

Let's just say, I think that bar handle commercial sells the beer better than the other ones with an insane or drunk Jim Koch splashing up out of the beer pot. That just looks gross and then wonder if there is still owner funk in the bottle of beer I'm drinking (being a BA I know its all sterilzed through the brewing process but still looks gross).

10. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

I think, perhaps, people are missing the point of the ad.

The point wasn't to knock other breweries for their large arrays of styles, etc. It was to show that Boston Lager has been a standby since it's release. I think it was a strong, well made ad designed to remind people of the beer's consistency and steadfastness in a market in which things come and go so quickly.

It's a sad, sad day when a BA founder joins the bandwagon of snarky, facetious commentary on the brewery that basically started it all.

BennyBeer04, rab53, tree777 and 24 others like this.
  11. Providence

Providence Crusader (706) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Brewing a huge variety of styles and celebrating the staying power of your flagship offering are apples and oranges. This commercial doesn't read as one that is intended to bust on people brewing tons of different things, rather it's a way to pat themselves on the back for having one brew that many people love. I don't see why anyone would find this "odd."

albertq17, NickyDee21 and commis like this.
  12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,078) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You really think that "dunk tank" ("beer pot"?) was filled with wort, before boiling and fermentation, and later bottled?
    "I know its all sterilzed through the brewing process..."
    I'd guess it was filled from kegs of past-code beer and later simply disposed of.

KegKicker likes this.
  13. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,077) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Boston Lager was and is a good beer. Pretty simple.

14. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Kinda like what Bells did with their using Oberon tap handles on the front door, but in a commercial where millions will see it. BBC know what has buttered their bread and allowed them to explore and experiment. A well done, boring (to us) beer that introduces people to the world of good beer.
    It might be time to think about starting to check out of this place when the founders of the site start to take the piss and troll.

JuniperJesus, TomD and Providence like this.
  15. Providence

What does that have to do with their flagship beer though? Sam Adams has brewed a billion styles, some successful and some not-so-much. But that's all irrelevant when looking at Boston Lager, a beer that has been an intro-beer to new craft drinkers and a saving grace in BMC only joints for veteran craft drinkers for decades. This commercial celebrates that.

TomD likes this.
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,078) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The real challenge would be to remember them all, starting with:

[​IMG]
    :wink:

17. Providence

Ha! Interesting. Did you ever one? Was it any good?

creepinjeeper likes this.
  18. steveh

Society

So, you're saying that a few of those tap-handles that pop up and disappear in the commercial might be other BBC beers? :wink:

As Jason points out in the OP:

Jason likes this.
  19. Providence

I guess I'm just missing the humor in it that you and Jason see.

20. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (170) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

A couple of years ago, BBC brewed a small batch of Lightship for local consumption. They had it on draft at Doyle's, the unofficial Sam Adams bar in J.P.

21. steveh

Society

It's not humor, it's irony. Why does the BBC have to trumpet Boston Lager's success by parading (what amounts to) failures past the viewer -- especially when they've had enough of their own "experiments" that haven't panned out.

Sure, laud the success of BL, but don't do so at the expense of others. And yeah, yeah -- I know that's common marketing M.O., but does everyone have to stoop to that level?

Providence likes this.
  22. Jason

Not so much a negative slant, just thought it was odd for their flagship brand to take a stance like that.

23. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

ISO Enoy By Stout!

TonyJ815 likes this.
  24. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (761) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I liked the ad personally. Yes, BBC does produce tons of different beers and one-offs but this add is for Boston Lager, not for the entire BBC family....

Providence likes this.
  25. Jason

You obviously have not been around long enough ... :wink:

benart, Loganyoung and TonyJ815 like this.
  26. notchucknorris

notchucknorris Poo-Bah (2,109) May 28, 2010 California
    Society

You would be correct. Took the tour last year and they said that they buy back out of code beer from stores and then use that for the dunk tank.

27. Jason

Sorry but there was never a purple dinosaur in this room ... do I have to write a few paragraphs of my unyielding respect for BBC to make it not so sad?

Shagator, benart, Loganyoung and 2 others like this.
  28. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I don't think they have to apologize for outlasting other beers with Boston Lager. It's not terribly insulting after all doesn't all commercial advertising act like it's product is far and above all the rest? I think the changing tap handles was a great and creative idea that shows the passing of time from the bar stool. The one thing though, sam adams actually does and has done a lot of beer styles. So there's that.

29. Jason

Exactly ... that was one of the points. :slight_smile:

30. steveh

Society

As I said above:
    I hear Sierra Nevada has a new campaign where they're going to slam Anchor for being a "big city brewery," not the good-ol' mountain boys like them. :wink:

BodiesLexus likes this.
  31. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,124) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I thought the commercial was fine. Sure, there's a bit of irony there, but the reality is that Boston Lager has been around a long time, and there's a reason: it's solid, good quality, and pretty good - far better than the AALternatives.

I wouldn't have a problem if SN did the same thing with SNPA: it's a mainstay. I could also see Budweiser, Miller, or Coors doing this too, though; again, nothing wrong with it. Their beer has certainly stood the test of time; we just happen to not enjoy it.

Didn't a local North Carolina brewery do something like this recently? Take a slam at a contract brewer? I forget the breweries involved, but it was covered on the forums.

32. markdrinksbeer

Here is a question. How many other craft beer companies release commercials?

LeperJim likes this.
  33. LeperJim

Society

Did some quick amateur online research:

The ad was probably part of their 2013 push to reinvigorate Boston Lager and the overall Sam Adams brand after a drop in 2012. They've got an advertising budget way beyond other craft brewers.

Their efforts worked because the stock (NYSE: SAM) has shot up from a year ago. (Billionaire Jim Koch) I should have invested in SAM and MADE money on beer in 2013.

The ad got my attention and the "message" was delivered. Yes, it was probably a year-end "pat on the back", and from a shareholder's perspective, well deserved. The swagger, as some took it, was their choice, but odd to me coming from the supposed craft beer industry pack leader.

I also watched it too many times and the f-ing soundtrack IS STUCK IN MY HEAD! Dammit SAM.

34. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Well they lasted I think is the point, that 1 beer. Sadly they dropped the 2nd ale they made Boston ale and frankly to me that was the better beer.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/1193/
    I liked the music, I usually dvr commercials. I never seen it. I had my first Lager they made in 1988 or 87, hard to say. I was impressed then. Since 1992 and moving back to Florida I have moved back to Imports.

35. markdrinksbeer

You aren't a fan of Boston based sports, are you?

Hard to find a rink, stadium, court, or field that song isn't played at. Great song from a great group.

36. LeperJim

Society

Oh. Sorry, not a big sports fan anymore and I'm not familiar with the song and it's loyal Boston following.

I respectfully retract that comment from the record.

I do, however, love the town of Boston. It's always been nice to me on my visits.

37. Acidisco

Acidisco Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 Massachusetts

It may be contradictory, but it's business, yo.

38. doowhat

doowhat Disciple (360) Feb 22, 2009 Arkansas

I thought the commercial was pretty good compared to the other one with the blind taste test and the douche bag with the goofy hat that says "I obviously was selling myself short by not even considering this as a possibility". I really can't stand that one.

39. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

The question I often wonder is, will there come a day that Sam Adams is one of the giants, competing AGAINST the craft market, as opposed to competing as it's star player?

KhakCane, ScottyG and azorie like this.
  40. markdrinksbeer

I had a smiley originally written, not sure where it went. Wasn't a negative post by any means. I only meant that if it was stuck in your head from just a commercial, its hard getting away from it if you follow any boston sports, as that song is used at a bunch of venues.

Sorry my post came across in any way other than friendly.

azorie and LeperJim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.