Release Samuel Adams Fall Pack (2018)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, May 27, 2018.

1. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (43) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

The black ale looks interesting, but leaves me wondering what exact style it is. As far as the pumpkin, it says "pumpkin spice notes", which says to me that it will barely taste pumpkin. I'll try any of these if I can cut one of each from the herd, but I don't try beers by buying sampler packs - too much commitment when past experience is that brewers put beers in samplers that wouldn't sell on their own. Not to be negative or anything. :innocent:

Ozzylizard likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It is a Black Lager (not an ale).

[​IMG]

Sam Adams has brewed a Sam Adams Black Lager in the past and it was of the Schwarzbier style; a very good beer IMO. Hopefully this beer is exactly that beer but with a new label design.

[​IMG]

pro100, Mongrel, Ozzylizard and 10 others like this.
  4. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm in, SA fall packs are typically my favorite from them and their Black Lager is great and I miss it.

5. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Same! There fall pack is pretty amazing. Fall in general is my favorite season for beer. But I’m thinking that Spruce Lager will be part of the Winter Classics pack. I could be wrong though..

hopsputin and ESHBG like this.
  6. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,290) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Black Lagers are always something I'm interested in trying, especially as the temperatures drop.

dangle47 and ESHBG like this.
  7. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,267) Dec 25, 2003 California

Just sell me six packs of Old Fezziwig Ale.

Genuine, Kadonny, kojevergas and 11 others like this.
  8. ESHBG

Seeing that old label gave me a case of the feels.

9. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,909) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

I'm a fan of Yards Tavern Spruce Ale, so I'm excited to try a lager with spruce tips added. I think that could work well. Always up for a good Schwarzbier as well.

DarthVorador likes this.
  10. rphx88

rphx88 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2014 Arizona

I say these four beers plus Boston Lager and Oktoberfest will be the fall pack.

ovaltine, NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS and ESHBG like this.
  11. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,744) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Premium Trader

I'll try any SA beer once and I always enjoy the fall variety pack.

12. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Spruce Lager - sounds interesting
    Black Lager - I like the style but not sure about the cocoa part.
    Pumpkin Ale - meh
    Coffee Pale Ale - I like coffee beers but some are really bad imo.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  13. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,415) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I know we’ve had this conversation many times, but that was a really good Schwarz. It was one of the last Sam beers I still bought fairly regularly. In my opinion they discontinued their 2 best beers with that and the Noble Pils

eppCOS, JimKal, ovaltine and 3 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Premium

A couple of days ago I posted:

"FWIW my only purchases of Sam Adams beers over the past 6+ months were the Lager variety pack and a 4-pack of the Sam Adams 'NEIPA'.

If I could purchase a 6-pack of Sam Adams Black Lager I would do so. Also, if they made the Traditional Bock that was part of the Longshot mixed pack of a number of years available I would also purchase that as well."

Cheers!

Kadonny, Ozzylizard, tzieser and 4 others like this.
  15. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Devotee (486) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

No! Not fall packs yet! Next thing you know we will be inundated with pumpkin ales falling from the skies! And I have yet to sample all of my Gose's and other summer beers such as Pilsners. I need a safe space or a cry room, maybe even a sanctuary city to hide in.

Gemini6 likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Premium

Did somebody say sanctuary!?!:astonished:

Cheers!

bret717 and BeerBobber like this.
  17. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I’m gonna assume the sammy fall pack will be out in late July because last year I picked up the fall pack July 26th. The same day NFL summer camp kicked off. The Bears camp atleast

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  18. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (320) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Those beers would make a Fall pack I'd buy a lot. I would not be interested in the coffee pale ale. I suppose I would be trying it if I bought the pack, but I haven't brought myself to pick up a pale ale with coffee just yet. Just seems like a bad combination to me.

19. JackHorzempa

Premium

FWIW I have only had one pale colored beer with coffee and for me it was an unpleasant drinking experience. I have not been motivated to try one since.

A dark beer with coffee is something that I sometimes (often?) enjoy so I am game to buy/drink those beers.

Cheers!

20. davedog_7

davedog_7 Initiate (58) Jun 26, 2017 Georgia

Just saw those and you beat me to it.

Spruce Lager sounds interesting. Could be good, or could be terrible.

I could be wrong on this, but through very basic research noting the ABV, IBUs, and in certain cases the grains used, Sam Adams has renamed what was the Harvest Pumpkin Ale a few times. It went away in favor of their Pumpkin Batch (a saison that I didn't care for), and then came back as 20 Pounds of Pumpkin. Looks like they are releasing simply as Pumpkin Ale this go-round, which I'm fine with. It's not the best Pumpkin Ale out there, but I always enjoy drinking them, and you can't have a fall beer pack w/out a pumpkin ale, imo.

On a side note, probably in another thread, but it appears SA has halted production of their Irish Red. However, I did see this. Indicates 12 FL OZ on the label, so I'm guessing it will either be a stand-alone, or part of a canned sample pack that they've started doing over the last year or so.

[​IMG]

tzieser likes this.
  21. davedog_7

They refuse. They keep trotting out White Freakin' Christmas. I'm not saying nobody likes it, but I have yet to meet someone who would be heartbroken if they stopped offering that one. Perhaps the Fezzis area bit more expensive to produce, and they don't want to charge a bit more for those as a stand-alone. All I know is that I've seen comments all over the innernets from people wanting them to offer it.

Gemini6 and Ozzylizard like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Premium

Yup, and I have discussed this as well.

IMO Boston Beer Co. is being intransigent here for a reason I can't understand.:rolling_eyes:

Old Fezziwig is a quality beer and very appropriate for the holiday season.

Cheers!

tzieser likes this.
  23. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

White Christmas sucks honestly. Would not be sad if they said bye bye too it got a six pack of it last year and never finished it. I was an okay beer just pretty boring and tasted like every other spiced winter beer out there

tzieser likes this.
  24. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

In my opinion that canned season pack they do is pointless you get three beers only and maybe one of them is not already in the bottled variety pack. Also where I live I never see there canned variety packs around anywhere only the bottled ones

25. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (120) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Intriguing...Hopefully these will hit the singles rack at one of my local shops so I don't have to buy a full pack.

26. tzieser

tzieser Savant (961) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Glad to see Black Lager make a return but honestly the case seems a bit underwhelming. I would've liked to see their dunkelweizen make a comeback, or maybe Bonfire Rauchbier. Maybe dig out some of the old recipes like the English-style pale ale, an ESB or maybe their old English-style IPA. Or perhaps something brand new like a pale "weisn" style Octoberfest as a one-off. Not the worst pack I've seen but it's definitely on the "safe" side.

Yeah, their Pumpkin Ale is just okay. The style in general seems to be getting a bit tired (for me at least). I wouldn't mind seeing them take a stab at a Pumpkin Stout/Porter (the pumpkin spices in dark beers work quite well, IMO) or maybe even a Pumpkin Dunkelweizen (especailly since no dunkelweizen this year)

I'm pretty sure I may have been involved in this conversation. If not, allow me to jump on the bandwagon!:smile:

Their black lager is excellent. I also wish they still had it in 6 packs like the old days.

I, too, long for the LongShot Traditional Bock but I'm sure we can sadly agree that would be a longshot (sorry i had to) to see it again...despite my fruitless efforts (emails) requesting it to be seen again. I was kinda hoping to find Alex Drobshoff's award winning LongShot recipe on a homebrew forum somewhere but I was unable to find anything (and it wouldn't surprise me if BBC now owns the rights to his recipe).

I'd also be happy to see a return of Sam Adams Double Bock. I speak of the original 6 pack version that was around 7-8% ABV, not the re-tooled "Imperial Series" version that was bumped up to 9% ABV and was put into year round 4-packs (along with Imperial Stout and the infamous Imperial White that rounded out the "Imperial Series"). That latter "Double Bock" was an abomination compared to the original, IMO. Bring back the old school SA Double Bock!!

Just to clarify....this is the one needs to come back:
    [​IMG]
    [h/t bruguru.com]
    [​IMG]
    [h/t bruguru.com]
    [​IMG]
    [h/t bruguru.com]

NOT this one:

[​IMG]
    [h/t musingsonbeer.com]

Or this one....
    [​IMG]
    [h/t bruguru.com]

cheers!

pudgym29, Jonl0424, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  27. davedog_7

Concur. Of course, I have never liked that extra option enough to buy one. I would if they did one with like Winter Lager and Old Fezziwig. At least I'd get an extra out of it.

28. davedog_7

I never have any luck with my local places breaking up the SA seasonal packs.

29. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (226) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I like most SA fall/winter beers but Ol Fezziwig tastes artificial to me. I do really like Winter Lager and buy it by the 12 pack.

30. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (320) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

I had one I enjoyed, which was by Schlafly. I kept looking down at the glass confused. The hops scare me away with a coffee IPA. The Schlafly beer was not hoppy. Weird that that scares me, as many big stouts are hoppy, like Great Divide's Esspresso Yeti. Of course, we all know those stouts have plenty of robust flavors to balance those hops, unlike IPAs.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  31. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Well this chat died out pretty quick lol

32. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I'll think about fall packs when the leaves start turning.

33. ESHBG

Ha ha what did you expect? It's the first few days of June and this thread is basically about speculation. And SA seasonal products aren't really hype generators, middle of the road at best.

34. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,602) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

If that's the same Black Lager from before I'm going to be all over this.

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,596) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I don't like any SA beer enough to buy a 12 pack.

JohnnyHopps and Ozzylizard like this.
  36. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Fortunately there are few I don't like well enough to buy a 12 pack.

37. davedog_7

If only there was a way to tell this thread was about fall beers without having to open it and read through all the responses...

38. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

We all know it is coming.. pumpkin beers will soon be out at the beginning of July (not all but a few) and the “it’s to early for pumpkin beers” trend will soon to be taking over the internet.

39. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

So can we expect to see this a few weeks after the 4th?

Genuine likes this.
  40. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (4,033) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Premium Trader

Indeed!

Sadly missing in action. I feel it's a shame that quality old school beers disappear apparently for the sake of chasing a multitude of so-so stylings.

tzieser likes this.