Samuel Adams Golden Pilsner Returning In Cans & Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AlcahueteJ, Aug 23, 2022.

1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Roguer, DrOfGolf, meefmoff and 12 others like this.
  2. aventinus

aventinus Initiate (19) Jan 4, 2022 Oregon

They had a hoppy pils I'm 2009-2010 called Noble Pils and I'm shocked they haven't brought it back. At this point they may miss the hoppy pils trend coming back altogether.

Tilley4, defunksta, dj420 and 9 others like this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I'm shocked they aren't trying to bring back the Hallertau Imperial Pils. That's one of the best things they've ever brewed and (at least IMO) was better than most of the hoppy/Italian/"west coast" pilsners being brewed at the moment in spite of being ungody strong. It was pretty extreme for the time, yet I think they totally nailed it.

schteve, TheOriginal, Tilley4 and 7 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,750) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I suppose that the branding "Golden Pilsner" is considered a general/generic term?

I suppose that Yuengling didn't (couldn't) trademark the brand name?

[​IMG]

5. JackHorzempa

Society

6. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

This got brought up over in the other Sam thread. If you go to the Sam website you'll see it's only available in New England and some mid-western (meaning mountain time zone) states like Kansas, the Dakotas, and a couple others.

Just odd.

JZH1000, o29, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  7. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I loved Noble Pils, such a great beer back in the day. I remember my buddy sneaking a six pack of it into the hospital after my son was born.

8. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Samuel Adams Golden Pilsner was added to the site in 2001, Yuengling's in 2017, and there are over 40 other beers with "Golden Pilsner" in the name.

9. AlcahueteJ

Society

They've had the Golden Pilsner in the tap room for a long time now (I think it's been available i packaged form from the brewery itself as well for awhile).

They do a wide variety of styles in the tap room, seems like they use that as a testing area for packaged product.

Also kind of interesting that none of their seasonals are IPAs too.

PapaGoose03 and Stormfield like this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,082) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

These are excellent but watch those dates. They get "meaty" and it's not great

budsNpils and JackHorzempa like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

budsNpils and Urk1127 like this.
  12. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (183) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Were you joking or is your USA time zone geography really that lousy?:wink::grin:

13. steveh

Society

Probably, but I couldn't figure out how to say "western Midwest or eastern West." :thinking_face:

Besides, parts of those states are in Mountain Time -- maybe it's *your* geography that's skewed! :nerd::wink:

barrybeerdog likes this.
  14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

With so much talk at least in BA circles I'm surprised the Noble Pils ever went away. It was one of their better offerings as a whole. And I don't get the mountain time zone states, the Midwest I would think would be fairly strong for this stuff, Yuengling being the obvious competition as shown above.

SABERG likes this.
  15. steveh

Society

Our "circle" is just a small segment of the beer drinking consumers, I'm afraid.

Case in point: SN Summerfest and Oktoberfest. Just not enough of us to keep all the labels alive.

schteve and sefus12 like this.
  16. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yuengling Pils is way over priced and over hyped.
    Yuengling is about as good as Straub, which ain't that good.
    They ruined the Lager decades ago.
    It used to have a nice bready taste & aroma. Now I think it tastes like carbonated pond water.
    I will not drink it unless absolutely necessary.
    I also vote for the re-release of SA Imperial Pilsner. Was that the "Golden Shower? I barely remember pouring that beer at a beer fest V. I. P. tent years ago. The only time I got to ask a police officer if he wanted a Golden Shower, without getting arrested! That was an awesome Imperial Pilsner!
    Glad to see SA distributing a non IPA!
    PLEASE bring back the Stock Ale!

17. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

My favorite SA was always their Scotch Ale https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/846/
    Longshot Series Dark Night In Munich was right up there as well
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/79487/

DrStiffington likes this.
  18. BanquetEnjoyer

BanquetEnjoyer Initiate (26) Jul 14, 2022 New York

Noble Pils was awesome. To me it wasn't like an IPA-esque pilsner though, it has a refreshing pineyness.

DrStiffington and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. BanquetEnjoyer

20. BanquetEnjoyer

Agreed on the Stock Ale! That was a great beer

21. AlcahueteJ

Society

The way the story goes with that (if I recall correctly), it was first a spring seasonal and wildly outpaced their expectations in sales.

So they brought it in as a year round and sales tanked, so they pulled it out of their rotation.

I believe it was this guy, simply named, "Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner".

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/38591/

ESHBG likes this.
  22. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (788) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Noble Pils was something my friends and I would look forward to for about 4 years in the late 2000s. It had some great buzz. Then it disappeared, I think it came back very limited a few years later then disappeared altogether. Not sure why.

23. JackHorzempa

Society

As discussed previously the notion was Boston Beer Company discontinued Noble Pils due to poor sales figures.

Cheers!

24. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you ever travel to nearby Connecticut?

Cheers!

JimKal likes this.
  25. steveh

Society

Piny is not a character I associate with Pilsner (or Noble hops), then again -- I don't believe I found pine in that beer.*
    Isn't New *York* a part of New England? (@barrybeerdog -- I know, I'm pushing the geography thing again! :grin:)
    * https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/54904/?ba=steveh#review

I stand to correct myself -- I *did* find pine in two of the versions I tried -- but also commented that it's an unusual character in an all noble hop beer.

barrybeerdog likes this.
  26. steveh

Society

Huh, guess not.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England

Wonder what *Old* York thinks of that? :wink:

Maybe NY fell out of favor with the BBC because of that whole Boston Lager reformulation trial? :grin:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. beardown2489

beardown2489 Zealot (506) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

On the contrary, I am excited to see a brewery of Sam Adams size bringing back a lager. I see Sierra Nevada walking away from the lager game and it’s a bit disheartening. I’ll be rooting for this brand to succeed. I think it’s success would be a good sign for the overall health of craft beer

28. BanquetEnjoyer

Rarely, though I'm not super far from there

29. BanquetEnjoyer

By "piney" I mean that it had a fresh aftertaste that reminded me (at the time at least) of the way evergreens smell

30. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

"But, but... occifer..yeah, I been drinkin' 'n' drivin' but I ain't gonna blow in dat ting 'cause it says rite here on the can "you can enjoy anywhere"! Sumbudy call my lawyer! And call Jim Koch, too! (Sam Adams is dead, I guess?)"

Nope. That was Dogfish Head.
    [​IMG]

31. steveh

Society

Still not a character associated with noble hops.

carolinabeerguy likes this.
  32. jesskidden

Society Trader

Can't recall now how many years it was their Spring seasonal, but it was all over and I drank it just about every time I hit a bar. Once it went year-round - never saw it again on tap and bottles were damn rare, too.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. AlcahueteJ

Society

meefmoff and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

Society

According this article it was their spring seasonal for two years (2010 and 2011 spring seasons).

Kind of a cool story too. I also didn't know that Octoberfest and Winter Lager have been around since 1989 and Summer Ale since the mid-90's. That's nuts considering how fickle beer consumers are these days.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/.../01/boston-beers-new-sam-adams-cold-snap.html

This means Boston Beer has changed its spring seasonal a third time in just four years. In 2010, the company replaced the White Ale with the Noble Pils, a beer that chairman Jim Koch originally brewed up for his daughter’s wedding. Noble Pils seemed like it might be Boston Beer’s spring seasonal for good — company officials even raved about its performance on a conference call with investors at the time. But then, in 2012, Boston Beer replaced it with the Alpine Spring. At least the company decided to keep selling Noble Pils — a personal favorite of mine — in six-packs and 12-packs.

jesskidden likes this.
  35. steveh

Society

Atlanta's on the line, wants a word. :wink:

36. jesskidden

Society Trader

They remember that before that it had been New Amsterdam.

Not this one (which I still miss).
    [​IMG]

IIRC New York was re-named after the Duke of York (not "of Earl" - easy mistake given the city's doowop background), not the city of York. Now, the connection between the Duke and the UK city? Don't know.

37. AlcahueteJ

Society

After the 2017 Superbowl Atlanta has no say in anything having to do with New England. :slight_smile:

38. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (443) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I loved Noble Pils and have fond memories of that beer. Like Victory's recipe for Prima Pils at the time, it was hoppy for a Pilsner but more to my liking than most IPAs then and helped me appreciate hops more.

Years later SA did try to match the Pilsner success with Downtime Pilsner which was okay but not as good as NP to me and it didn't last long either:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/161925/

39. JackHorzempa

Society

You likely got that aroma/flavor from the Spalt hops (which is a noble hop):

[​IMG]

Cheers!

BanquetEnjoyer likes this.
  40. steveh

Society

Something about the added adjective makes me think there's a deeper historical dive than just sucking up to a royal. :wink: