Samuel Adams Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BlueRogue, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueRogue

BlueRogue (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

I've been wanting to try a gingerbread stout and it looks like I'll get the chance now. Can't wait!

[​IMG]

2. MarkF150

MarkF150 (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Sounds delicious! Definitely looking forward to this one!

3. acevenom

acevenom (0) Oct 7, 2011 Louisiana

I definitely would like to try this one.

4. Kinsman

Kinsman (0) Aug 26, 2009 Nevada

SA has quickly released quite a few beers in this new "limited release" series but I haven't been all that interested in many of them so far. This one, however, I'm looking forward to come the holidays.

5. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 (0) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

Now we're talkin'.

6. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

This. Looks. Awesome!

abraxel and MarkF150 like this.
  7. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle (0) Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

Those gingerbread guys look like they've had a little too much.

8. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro (0) Jun 12, 2012 Illinois

9. BostonHops

BostonHops (0) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

will definitely give this one a go. now if they throw it in a bourbon barrel...

(incidentally, does sam adams even have a barrel aging program? there's utopias, of course, but i can't think of another barrel aged beer from them that's made a splash in the market. you'd think a brewery of their capacity would be all over the trend.)

10. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger (0) Jul 9, 2010 California

anything but my gum drop buttons!

YogiBeer likes this.
  11. BB1313

BB1313 (0) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

This sounds like it could be really good. A friend from VA hooked me up with a bottle of Hardywood Gingerbread Stout last year and it was mindblowing! Sam Adams definitely has their work cut out to top that stuff!

mp19 and AaronRVA like this.
  12. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I'm generally not too into Sam Adams and am also not generally into beers that try be something that isn't beer, but this sounds intriguing, especially since it looks like an impy stout.

13. Shilt

Shilt (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Guessing Jim got the idea from the Hardywood guys as they gave him a bottle of GBS back in June at Savor. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this wont be nearly as good as Hardywood GBS, which is a fantastic imperial milk stout, and a perfect holiday sipper.

mp19, ncaudle, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  14. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Extremely excited for this.

15. thunderroad12

thunderroad12 (0) Nov 13, 2008 Virginia

I liked this beer the first time I had it, when it was called Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. jbertsch

jbertsch (630) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

wow, I haven't been this excited for a Sam Adams release in.....forever?

17. Hanzo

Hanzo (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Hardywood posted about this on their facebook page.

This was certainly inspired by them.

18. wtfdic

wtfdic (0) Mar 18, 2012 Massachusetts

Sounds like it could be very good. Will have to give it a try.

19. cbeer88

cbeer88 (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Yes, they do have an entire series of Barrel Aged beers - in fact they call it the Barrel Room Collection. There's a Kriek, a Wild Red, a Tripel, and a Belgian Stout. The Kriek is the only one that isn't pretty good. Bottles look like this, and they're not usually hard to find within range of a release:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/53773

Now why haven't they done a bourbon barrel imperial stout? I don't know, but Sam Adams has never been one to follow beer geek trends.

20. sailorastro

sailorastro (0) Apr 24, 2011 Connecticut

Very excited for this release.

21. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull (0) Dec 15, 2011 Virginia

being a VA native i'm not too happy about this. i'll give it a try but i'm sure it won't hold a candle to hardywood's version.

mp19 and ao125 like this.
  22. jpmclaug

jpmclaug (0) Jun 6, 2008 South Carolina

I don't understand the angst about Hardywood already having a Gingerbread Stout. It's not like only one brewery makes a chocolate stout, or only one brewery added peppers to a pale ale or any other combination of ingredients.

If anything this beer might make people search out the Hardywood beer even more after trying it. I hadn't even heard of the Hardywood beer until now.

23. Hanzo

If he liked it enough to want to brew it (or a version of it), he should have done them a major solid and did a collaboration, using their recipe in combination with Boston Beers distribution....just would have been awesome that way.

24. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Hardywood copied Bison's Gingerbread porter.
    not really, but the sharing of ideas is what craft beer is all about.

I look forward to trying Sam Adam's and anybody else who makes ones' version.

25. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Maybe he was inspired. Based on your logic, im never allowed to brew an over hopped Citra PA without collaborating with FFF. Or never a super sweet cakey pumpkin beer without collaborating with Southern Tier. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

He could always put an homage to Hardywood if you want to give credit.

jpmclaug likes this.
  26. Hanzo

That's basically what I was getting at, on the discription of the beer on the back at least write that he was inspired by them. And we're not talking about a home brewer here, we're talking about the biggest non-BMC brewer in the country getting "inspired" by a brewery not big enough to get me their beer when I am in the same state.

I am not saying ideas shouldn't be shared, I am just saying if you get an idea from another craft brewery at least give them some recognition.

27. VncentLIFE

well it seems like we agree.

28. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

Artistic credit aside, this seems like something that'll be pretty tasty. I'm usually hit and miss with Sam Adams. I have to give them a large chunk of credit for having a lot of my gateway beers into my craft beer obsession, but a lot of their brews now just don't stick with me like they did. I still really like their Cherry Wheat, I absolutely love their Octoberfest, and they do a lot of interesting things with stuff like Utopias, so I'm kinda geeked to try this.

29. Hanzo

Pretty much.

Though maybe I am bitter because I can't go to the store and buy Hardywood Gingerbread Stout and I'd like if SA made it and I could pick it up at any shop around.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  30. VncentLIFE

if it makes you feel better, ive never even heard of hardywood.

31. zencigar

zencigar (0) Aug 3, 2011 North Carolina

i for one am excited to try this.

32. BostonHops

BostonHops (0) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

i stand corrected, forgot about those guys. guess i was thinking more along the lines of bba stouts and barelywines.

33. Hanzo

They make a pretty decent russian imperial stout, they should throw that in barrels.

34. Shilt

Shilt (0) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia

Whats funny, but also sad for others about this, is that Hardywood GBS will more than likely be available to Richmonder's in grocery stores, not just bottle shops. At least it was last year. Plus, all Hardywood beers make it to local grocery stores. They don't make a ton of it, but its easy to do this when their distribution area is the greater Richmond area.

35. pitweasel

pitweasel (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Slightly off topic, but this has me wondering: has anyone heard any rumors on this year's SA winter pack?

36. BlueRogue

I haven't heard anything concrete. I noticed the new labels for Winter Lager and Cream Stout were revealed at the same time which leads me to believe Cream Stout will make a return to the Winter Classics pack. That's just pure speculation on my part though.

So I'm guessing Boston Lager, Winter Lager, Old Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, Cream Stout and ?

37. BlueRogue

Pretty much the same here. Sam Adams got me into craft beer in the first place but I find now that many of their beers I really enjoyed a few years ago don't do much for me these days.

There are a handful that I still do enjoy though, and I'm always willing try try anything new they come up with. I picked up a bottle of Fat Jack Double Pumpkin this morning, but my unwritten rule is to not drink pumpkin beer before the first day of Fall. So it will remain in my fridge at least until September 22.

38. bushycook

bushycook (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

No way it's as good as Hardywood's!

39. Hanzo

Thanks for this info man...I really appreciate knowing you guys can grab a GBS while you are grocery shopping.

/jealous sarcasm

Shilt likes this.
  40. bushycook

bushycook (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Yeah, and if you're lucky enough to have hit Mekong or Commercial at the right time, you could've had -bal GBS. Incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.