Release Samuel Adams Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BlueRogue, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bay01

Bay01 Aspirant (278) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Greg Hall may have something to say about that.

tjfilippo likes this.
  2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,744) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Same here.... I got pumpkin, not gingerbread at all

3. musicman7070

musicman7070 Disciple (357) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

shand likes this.
  4. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

Same here. Gonna have this at the fireplace after walking the dog in the snow. I'm sure the 6 weeks of aging won't hurt.

BB1313 likes this.
  5. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2012 Ohio

100% Correct, I picked up the Winter/Holiday 12 pack on Sunday. Has this exact line-up in it. No Gingerbred Stout. This is the first time I have purchased a SA sampler and so far so good. I like the Old Fezziwig & Winter Lager.

6. Oregonrobert

Oregonrobert Initiate (0) May 23, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Straight up got this idea from Hardywood. Sam Adam's version couldn't begin to compare. Nothing they make does.

7. fritts211

fritts211 Aspirant (210) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I thought it was a solid stout. Lots of nice spices (pumpkin-y? I didn't feel that was the case, but I could see the argument) and a very easy drinking stout. I would absolutely buy again, especially for the price point. I'm kicking myself I didn't pick up that last bottle from my bottle store at 8 dollars. I feel as if it is easily the best of the limited releases they have put out (the only one I haven't tried is Fat Jack).

8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

Not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, and fat jack was actually pretty good. We have this gingerbread stout, and I'll probably pick one up for when it gets absolutely ugly outside.

Willbfun likes this.
  9. nhindian

nhindian Savant (914) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

lol.

10. kempshark

kempshark Initiate (54) Jul 22, 2009 Florida

Haven't seen this in the stores around here yet......don't normally like Samuel Adams, but willing to try this one.

11. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

I had this yesterday, it was alright.

12. gtermi

gtermi Meyvn (1,214) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

I had my first bottle of this the other night and absolutely loved it. I thought the spices were dead on

JohnB87 and szmnnl99 like this.
  13. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

they were but I want more mouth feel and bigger flavors, not bad for the price though

14. Lordquackingstic

Lordquackingstic Disciple (378) Jun 14, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know if this has lactose in it? It's listed under the sweet/milk stout category, so I'm unsure.

15. warmstorage

warmstorage Crusader (701) Sep 11, 2003 California

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same unanswered question: does anyone actually know if this beer is brewed with lactose? I can't find any indication that it is, and Sam Adams is surprisingly good about putting up their ingredients:
    http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/merry-mischief

It seems that it's just a categorization issue, in that BA categorizes it as a "sweet/milk stout".

16. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Sorry this thread is so old that all its participants are now deceased. Welcome to the future.

17. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Champion (835) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Not to mention that the beer was an overly spiced disappointment...

DubbelTrubbel and legend8706 like this.
  18. foobula

My bottle is in the door of my fridge, gathering fridge-door dust. Fat Jack was nuthin special, and based on reviews I'm not super excited to crack open my Merry Mischief. Perhaps next Xmas it'll be an aged rarity.

dianimal and chanokokoro like this.
  19. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

It actually was pretty good + plus it has jolly gingerbread men on the label.

20. foobula

So as long as it's a sweet stout, it doesn't have to be a milk stout to fall under the "sweet/milk stout" category.

21. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I still have a bottle or two that I need to drink.

Stone 12.12.12 reminded me of a better version of this beer, if you can believe that.

22. M1A2

M1A2 Initiate (191) Jan 15, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

:grimacing: Don't count on it......

23. Bonis

Bonis Defender (630) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

The Merry Mischief was a good beer, just as it was rated after 464 reviews. I actually ended up buying 2 of them. I found nothing off putting about it. I found it better than 12.12.12, then again they aren't even that similar IMO. The only similarities are spiced (check) and dark color (check).

MilkManX likes this.
  24. MilkManX

MilkManX Disciple (300) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

I too enjoyed this more than my Stone 12.12.12.

kojevergas likes this.
  25. mocktm

mocktm Devotee (437) Jan 3, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

If this tastes like 12-12-12, then SA clearly missed the mark. I've never had Merry Michief but can't imagine it can even compare to the beer it's trying to rip off.

26. dano

dano Initiate (128) Apr 13, 2012 New Jersey

I'll take it:grinning:

27. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (618) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I thought MM was pretty good...

28. beertardis

beertardis Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Rhode Island

mery mischief was pretty good but it needed to be room temp to be that good

29. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (296) Jul 16, 2011 New York

another pro-merry mischief vote. Wasn't a top 10 beer, but it was shockingly drinkable.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  30. foobula

Got it, I'll take that under advisement. :wink: I was just reading some of the low-rated reviews and one thing that cracked me up was the phrase "extreme spice assault". If a beer is being knocked for having way too much flavor, sounds like it's at least worth giving it a try.

31. mitchgx

mitchgx Aspirant (265) Aug 7, 2005 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I thought the MM was delicious; I had several during the season. I can't help but read this thread and shake my head at the general anti-SA snobbery.....you have to love people that flatly state that the beer will be no good (or "no way will it be as good as xxxxxx") before they've even seen a bottle of it within three states of where they live.

32. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I am a Sam Fan as it was my entrance to the Craft Scene in 1989, but SA MM is one of the worst beers I had this year, complete drain pour and still have 2 more sitting in the basement. :grimacing:

33. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

If I had never tried Hardywood's Gingerbread Stout I might have liked Merry Mischief more.....

mocktm likes this.
  34. pschul4

pschul4 Zealot (562) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Never had HGS, absolutely loved MM :grinning: Sorry didn't mean to rub it in, just confirming your assumption

Hanzo likes this.
  35. cw577enfield

cw577enfield Disciple (320) Mar 3, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Agreed. I drank HGS before I tried MM in January. MM was just fine..didn't have that amazing ginger taste like HGS.

Hanzo likes this.
  36. birchholz

birchholz Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Illinois

I was disappointed by MM. To me it tasted like a pumpkin ale without the pumpkin.

37. cw577enfield

cw577enfield Disciple (320) Mar 3, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Do you mean "tasted like pumpkin without a pumpkin ale"? That comment can be entirely subjective!

38. birchholz

birchholz Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Illinois

Not sure what you mean, as comments regarding taste are by nature subjective. What I meant was the spicing tasted similiar to many pumpkin ales, without any of the pumpkin taste of course. I didn't take extensive notes as I prefer my drinking to be less cerebral, but that was my impression and I was no hurry to drink more.

39. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,069) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I've had very few drainpours in my life, but MM was the most recent casualty.

I enjoy much of what Sam Adams does and will always be a fan, however both my wife and I were disappointed by this beer. We had one bottle sitting in the fridge for a few months that we were excited to finally open. It seems so appealing, but it tasted so odd and unpalatable after a few sips. Hard to pin down the reason but the ginger element was too off kilter for me and it just ruined everything.

40. foobula

Well I'm going to drink mine in the upcoming week and will report back with the definitive (granted, not-as-fresh) judgment on this matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.