Samuel Adams Utopias: Cellar or Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by polloenfuego, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

Hi Folks;

I just "won" the rights to a bottle of Utopias (10th anniversary) and I am wondering if I should cellar it or enjoy it?

I welcome opinions and advice...

Thanks,

Pollo

2. Jwale73

Jwale73 Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Cellar and enjoy. It holds up well because it is already still and has a slightly oxidized character. Drink some now and continue to enjoy it for years to come.

HighWine, ufmj, match1112 and 2 others like this.
  3. pitweasel

pitweasel Jun 11, 2007 New York

That's about all you need to know right there. That, and "cellar or enjoy"...the two aren't mutually exclusive. Cellar AND enjoy.

4. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

I have done both, and enjoyed it both ways. It is more like a cognac, so I personally would wait until the cold months. Enjoy!

5. RJM

RJM Jan 20, 2013 Djibouti

This is especially true because Utopias is basically a liquor anyway at 30%, you'll get a little bit of oxidization over time because it's iced rather than distilled, but it's not going to be enough to be a problem, just a little bit of a metallic undertone.

6. Lare453

Lare453 Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

It's resealable so you can have some now and later. It will stay good for many years. The only reason I say to cellar it is because its is so fucking good that you want to drink it often. When its open you have nothing stopping you from doing it.

7. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

You can do whatever you want with it as it will hold up pretty much forever, but it also doesn't seem to improve over time. So, bottom line, not much difference between drinking now and drinking in a couple of years.

8. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York

i'd say drink whenever, but don't overdo it. make it last; it won't deteriorate with time when you recap, so just work on it steadily.

9. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

Thanks for the input...knowing I can do both certainly makes it much more enjoyable!

10. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Nov 24, 2009 California

It's not iced or distilled, but fermented using mutant yeast from the depths of white labs mad scientist gene modifying future bank of doom.

Or something like that.

ufmj likes this.
  11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Enjoy some of it now for sure. It's a great "beer".

12. Mgm54

Mgm54 Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

When does Utopias usually come out? I want to get a bottle for my dad sometime in the next few years, hopefully I can age it too before his 60th

13. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Jun 7, 2005 New York

Champagne yeast, I believe.

14. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey

I had it the other night, so I guess it's still fresh. I can't imagine it changing too much since it's already extremely sweet and flat. I'd say when you want to try it, open it up. It's really more like a cordial anyway, you can open it and close it, and open it up again next year or something. I know plenty of people that do that with Utopias. Sometimes you can't think of it as a beer.

15. HighWine

HighWine Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

After you've had it a while, you'll tragically only bring it out at the end of long tastings or nights when you're safe at home but should stop drinking. That's when the wheels come off and you won't find out until the following day all of the mischief you got into after you opened that brass bottle...

16. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

You already have your question answered in the perfect way, but to address another aspect of your question: I hate the paradigm that a beer should either be good enough to drink or aged.

Any beer you haven't had will do nothing for you personally after aging. Aging is to develop character you might like to see in that beer. How would you know what character is lacking if you haven't had the beer fresh?

Basically, you shouldn't age a beer if you haven't had it fresh. There's just no point. Let's say you open that 3 year old fill-in-the-blank and it's missing some barrel character or it's too smooth for you at that point. You've missed out on the opportunity to try it at its original state and it hasn't improved. Just a trend I see too many times around here.

/end rant

Also, Enjoy that Utopias. It's a ridiculously good beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.