Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Samuel Adams Winter Classics 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (115) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

I know its August but with the Samuel Adams Beers of Fall pack already out I was wondering if anyone had any information on what is going to be in the Samuel Adams Winter Classics pack this year. It's pretty safe to say that the Boston Lager and the Winter Lager are going to be in the pack this year and I also found something on the MyBeerBuzz website that shows two new 12 Oz bottles coming this holiday season the Amber Bock and Oatmeal Stout. I'm gonna assume these two new varieties are going to be in the Winter Classics pack this year. Does anyone know the other two that are going to be in the pack feel free to speculate and tell me what you think the lineup is going to be!

Cheers!

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/07/samuel-adams-amber-bock-oatmeal-stout.html?m=1

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,943) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'd guess Old Fezziwig would be one.

jmdrpi, TheCrimsonKing and Grizzarky like this.
  3. tzieser

tzieser Champion (852) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Boston Lager will likely be in it and lots of BeerAdvocates will likely complain about it :smirk:

4. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Honestly I do not mind the Boston Lager being in there seasonal variety packs every time because not only is it the beer that started it all for them it also makes it so I don't have to go out and buy them separately. I get 2 Boston lagers per variety pack I buy and I get my kick of it. Saves fridge space and money.

Lucular, Haybeerman and tzieser like this.
  5. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I guess someone said they emailed Samuel Adams and they said they were not sure old fezziwig was gonna be in it this year

6. tzieser

Beer Trader

Same here. I think it has something to do with hoppy beer being all the rage these days. "If it isn't hoppy it isn't good" type mentality. As an example I can't recall the last time someone complained of SN Pale Ale being in practically every SN variety. Both are excellent beers that I would have no issue with being in my fridge.

7. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (487) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

It's not as often and not as loud as all the "why are there two Boston Lagers in every Sam Adams variety pack?" complaints, but it definitely happens every single time a Sierra Nevada variety pack includes the Pale Ale.

DonicBoom likes this.
  8. tzieser

Beer Trader

Well, this just makes me even more sad for all of humanity :smile:

9. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (226) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I see both sides of the coin: I get why breweries include their flagship beers but I get why people complain about them too, as you can get them year round anytime and many folks have had them 10 times over so losing precious variety pack space can sometimes be annoying.

10. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (512) Dec 12, 2014 California

And in SN case you got 3 Pale Ales

11. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

What is everyone drinking right now I just had a Samuel Adams Maple Red and Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I'm about to crack open a Samuel Adams 20 Pounds of Pumpkin

Cheers!

12. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,943) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Regarding the SNPA and Boston Lager in the mixed cases you need to keep in mind that there are still new drinkers who've never tasted it. Over 4,000,000 million people turn 21 each year, and there are still older drinkers who are just getting into craft brew.

13. tzieser

Beer Trader

Nobody here will disagree with that

(So far at least:wink:)

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  14. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (654) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Does anyone know what's in the summer pack next year? :wink:

All joking aside, I hope Old Fezziwig is still in the pack, it's the only reason I even consider buying this each year.

15. tzieser

Beer Trader

I boycotted (sorry, Bros!) the SA Winter Pack last year because there was no Holiday Porter in it. I hope they bring it back this year.

16. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I would love to try the holiday porter and old fezziwig because I just turned 21 in May I have yet to experience those and there is so much hype surrounding both of those beers. I'm just ready for the winter classics pack in general. Usually they start rolling out around mid October

donspublic, Scott17Taylor and tzieser like this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,047) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

LOL you know it is coming.
    :stuck_out_tongue:

tzieser likes this.
  18. AZBeerDude72

In the past I usually bitch about SA Boston being in the mixed pack but honestly I don't have it much so I will take the 2 this year. I enjoy the holiday season packs and decided to end my rage on flagship beers. Least until a thread starts and I get sucked into bashing on them lol.
    Cheers:grin:

tzieser likes this.
  19. tzieser

Beer Trader

That's awesome and a really refreshing take to read. I'm pleasantly surprised you consider them hyped beers. I noticed that a new trend among newer craft drinkers is going for the rarest, hardest to find beers. I think it's great that you are starting off with some of the "original" craft breweries. In my opinion it really makes you appreciate how far beer has come here in the US. When I started out it was Long Trail, Magic Hat, Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada or if you had some extra coin, Rogue Ales. I like that hype doesn't always have to mean "popular by everyone". Just because you are looking forward to a beer that isn't it hi

Fezziwig is quite nice. It isn't my favorite in the pack but it's a unique beer. The comparison to a ginger bread cookie is well deserved and it is a pretty difficult beer to find a direct comparison to.

Holiday porter is just a classic english porter. Not too roasty or hoppy like the modern American versions. It's a nearly perfect example of the english porter style, in my opinion.

Cheers to good tastes, pal. Keep doing what your doing!

#19 tzieser, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  20. tzieser

Beer Trader

Hah! I wasn't trying to call you out. I couldn't remember who it was who was bemoaning the fact that it's always included in the pack. Figures it was a good BA friend of mine:sweat_smile:

Cheers man!:beers:

21. AZBeerDude72

I was always on the fence with the flagship stuff. I enjoy it but at times wish for a pure mix pack so to say. I know why they do what they do and all just at times would love to see all seasonal items only. But I am still pumped for all the seasonal stuff, best time of year hitting.
    Cheers :slight_smile:

tzieser likes this.
  22. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Yes Samuel Adams is by far my favorite beer. I really can't get into the beers you see EVERYONE drinking like bud light, Miller lite, coors lite... you get the point lol. I would say my second favorite beer is Leinenkugel. I really only pick up seasonal packs though because I love to drink with the season so when breweries put there flagship beers in I don't mind because I don't have to buy them separately. Sam Adams does an amazing job with there variety pack I love the 6 different styles 2 of each kind they do in there seasonal pack it gives us a good variety and they are all usually really good I don't mind dropping 17 dollars on there variety packs.

tzieser likes this.
  23. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

So what do you guys think the winter classics line up is going to be this year I think it's going to be

Boston Lager
    Winter Lager
    Amber Bock
    Oatmeal Stout
    Holiday Porter
    Old Fezziwig Ale

This is what I think it's okay to be but also all these beers are darker in color idk if they would have all dark beers in a variety pack I honestly think they will bring some Pale beers in like maybe the return of the ginger beer or sparkling Ale or maybe even hopflake white IPA. Also I don't think we will see the chocolate Bock this year.

24. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,520) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

No idea what they are actually putting in the Winter Classics, but I'd love to see Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout. I'm not really a fan of gingerbread cookies, but this stout is incredible. They didn't make it last year and I was bummed.

25. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I'm assuming they are gonna have "oatmeal Stout" in there winter classics pack this year

SpdKilz likes this.
  26. xPrestigious

xPrestigious Initiate (128) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

Am I the only BA going through Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner withdrawls? It seemed like I could only get it around winter time 12 yrs ago. Now it's nothing but a memory I want to relive again, and again.

SpdKilz likes this.
  27. davedog_7

davedog_7 Initiate (126) Jun 26, 2017 Georgia

Yeah, not sure if you're referring to me, but I did mention elsewhere that I emailed them, and that's what they said.

Specifically, they said:
    Unfortunately, at this time, there are no current plans to release Old Fezziwig Ale in 6-packs on its own. It is also too soon to tell if it will be returning during the next Winter season.

This was several months ago at this point.

I've seen it's quite popular around these parts, and I personally have to say it's the seasonal I most look forward to every year, regardless of season. Really hope they don't skip it entirely.

Still haven't met anyone in person or online that would be upset if they traded out the Fezzis for White Christmas stand-alone 6-packs.

28. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

Yes I was referring to you and I emailed them last week and I asked them if they could tell me what was going to be in there Winter Classics pack this year and they wouldn't tell me if you think about it though we are not too far off from the release it's late august and winter classics usually start rolling out mid to late October

29. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,708) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

Oh for fuck's sake its way too early to be wondering about winter beers!

Eric

30. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Aspirant (227) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio
    Subscriber

I just wish they would release a seasonal 6pack of Old Fezziwig. I'd buy a case!

31. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (183) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I don't like Old Fezziwig - in the minority here I guess - its tastes artificial for me, I think last year's Holiday Porter was the same. But I like most of what SA puts out and I buy a few of their fall and winter packs. I buy the Winter Lager 12 packs too. I do love the Boston Ale, I buy it whenever I see it which isn't often.

32. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (183) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Was Hopscape in the winter packs last year? I really liked that beer - actually that might have been a spring seasonal so it was released in winter not fall like the winter packs.
    Oh and I'm not afraid to say here I actually purchase 12packs of Boston Lager from time to time just to have around. Its just a great beer even if it pisses off people on BA.

eldoctorador likes this.
  33. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,131) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Id be fine with this providing they release standalone six packs of the Old Fezziwig.

Bitterbill, Mikecd234 and Jonl0424 like this.
  34. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (512) Dec 12, 2014 California

I liked Hopscape as well (very balanced beer), but I doubt they'll bring it back (as the main seasonal at least). It was a huge let down in terms of sales. My money is on the return of Cold Snap as the Spring seasonal.

tzieser likes this.
  35. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I think your thinking of the hopflake white IPA because hopscape was in the spring pack

36. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (6,470) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

Logboat Flybye

37. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,480) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Well it's not a seasonal for one.

tzieser likes this.
  38. tzieser

Beer Trader

Hah! Valid point.

The more I think about it the more I'm happy with Boston Lager being in mixed packs. When I get a seasonal 12 mixed pack I'm usually bringing it to a friend's/family's home. At some point in the evening (or day) you'll just want a "normal" beer that isn't spiced, cloying sweet, over/under hopped, etc.....it's times like that when Boston Lager shines beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing it again

nc41 and eldoctorador like this.
  39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (226) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Out of the Fall Pack the BL was one of the ones I ended up liking the most, oddly enough [because I have had it so many times]. But I wish they would market Boston Ale more and throw it in one of these mixed packs, that's a really good beer.

Spikester, tzieser and ecpho like this.
  40. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,024) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This is one of my favorite variety packs, but I was a bit disappointed in last year's selection

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.