Sans Alcohol

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TripleDigitIBUs, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (849) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yes, it would also make shipping easier. No one is going to stop the shipment becuase they found out it doesnt have alcohol in it :*)
  2. BostonHops

BostonHops Champion (848) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

nah. it's the synergy of alcohol and tasty, flavorful beer that does the trick for me. one without the other and it just ain't the same.
  3. cinghialetwo

cinghialetwo Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2012 like a wine without grapes...
  4. cinghialetwo

cinghialetwo Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2012

Is like eating in an Italian restaurant, where the chefs are Chinese, and bring you lasagna and Wantong .....
    It depends on your education say "thank you I'm full" or "really delicious the same thing as my mom in Italy." Knowing that your mother say" no lies"
  5. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (469) Aug 30, 2012 California

I would actually be a fat POS if my favorite beer didn't have alcohol. Bc of the alcohol I show some restraint. If beer didn't get me drunk and I could drink as much as I'd like the only reason not to would be because I wear out too many zippers.
  6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

:confused: I am having a hard time computing what you are saying
    brewbetter and dcloeren like this.
  7. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (4,321) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire

I don't drink to get drunk. I drink to enjoy the aroma and taste. So if a 0% ABV satisfied me to that extent - why not?
    brewbetter and Blueribbon666 like this.
  8. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Aspirant (238) Jun 10, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Not really. It's like a wine without alcohol though.

Not really. The OP says hypothetically the taste wouldn't change. So it wouldn't matter what the chef's brought you or what nationality they were, it would taste the same as whatever your mom in Italy makes.

I call bullshit. That's 12-13 ounces of beer of 12% ABV beer. Or like drinking 3 Bud Lights. Maybe you have narcolepsy. You'd have to be the size of Verne Troyer to pass out on that amount of alcohol over the course of an hour or so.

I love a good milkshake. They have no alcohol in them. I rarely drink them. If they removed all the alcohol from my current favorite beer and it still tasted the same, I'd probably still buy it. But if it were an N/A beer to begin with, the odds of it becoming my favorite beer are slim to none.... leaning a lot closer to none. And it absolutely would matter what it costs. I'm not poor but I don't spend lavishly either. Higher alcohol beers tend to last longer in the glass and in the fridge, so I'm not terribly offended spending extra on them. Some of the people here posted who cares what it costs if I like it... and at the same time wish there was no alcohol so they could drink lots of it. Well have fun spending $80 a night on NA Speedway. I'll take the regular and be good with $12 for the evening.
  9. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

So is there a percentage alcohol threshold where the beer actually hydrates you but you can still get a good buzz going? That's the abv I'd like with all the flavor of my favorite beers.
  10. cinghialetwo

Like a king without a castle
    Like a queen without a throne
    I'm an early morning lover
    And I must be moving on
    Like a wine without grapes
    Like a beer without water
    I'm an early morning lover
    And I must be moving on
    I'm an taster lover
    And I must be moving on:slight_smile:
  11. BostonHops

BostonHops Champion (848) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

to clarify my post above, i don't drink to get drunk either (not to say it doesn't happen from time to time :wink:); i hope a 'no' answer to this hypothetical doesn't read that way. one can enjoy a light buzz without necessarily getting drunk.
  12. cinghialetwo

I am 47 years old and I have never drunk ...
    I'm lucky? I do not know
    I drink wine only meal Easter, Christmas, weddings
    I think that drinking should be "premio"
  13. cinghialetwo

I'll stop here the discussion is too complicated for my english
    It 'a discourse of life philosophy...ciao a tutti
  14. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

Beer is the drink of friendship. Gin causes degradation and misery.

* quote pulled out of me arse, from distant foggy memory of Michael Jackson's 1979 World Guide to Beer.

Post may possibly be irrelevant, but then again, it might not.
  15. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

Goodbye's been nice.
    Pour my bourbon......over ice!
    Tried to see your point of view......
    may my wet hopped dreams.....all come true!
    cinghialetwo likes this.
  16. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

I do not disagree. My answer to the OP's question was that I drank for the taste....not the ABV. That said; I am not complaining about the 15% ABV of the BCBS I am drinking right now cuz I like the taste. Cheers!
    cavedave likes this.
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,417) Mar 18, 2010 California

Perhaps, but it would be weird.
  18. cinghialetwo

19. cinghialetwo

sorry I prefer my flavors are natural .... I think that the wines may not be under the age of 9abv made by grapes and beers up 3.5 abv
    To understand I do not take foreign beers made ​​in Italy because:
    Water is not the same
    the climate is not the same
    and the brewer is not Jack Smith from Dublin but Maurizio Rossi from Parma
    Two different styles.
  20. dcloeren

dcloeren Defender (629) Sep 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

21. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Call away. I'll openly admit that I have an exceptionally low tolerance. I'm an extremely thin person, don't eat a huge diet, and work a very physically active job. I've had nights where three pints of ~7% ABV beer over the course of almost three hours left me physically ill in my hotel later on.

On the plus side, I spend a lot less on beer than most people I know, and I'm an extraordinarily cheap date! And it makes a bottle of Bourbon County Stout the perfect nightcap for a nighttime blizzard. While I do enjoy the sound of a whipping wind and watching the show fall, I have a hard time falling asleep to it. Put on a movie and pour a bottle of that, and I'm fast asleep by the time the credits are rolling.

On the does make social drinking more challenging, as I find myself declining drinks frequently on account of not wanting to get drunk. There are nights where I decline going out with my colleagues outright after a show because I know that they'll be harassing me about just wanting to have a simple post-gig pint before turning in.

So yeah - axe the alcohol and leave the taste, and I'd likely be drinking much more liberally.
  22. KYGunner

KYGunner Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Kentucky

There are two types of beer drinkers on this thread.....those who drink beer for the alcohol and those that lie about it.

All joking aside, I personally don't believe I would have acquired a taste for craft beer had there not been the alcohol. After acquiring a taste I now wish that the beers were a little lighter so that I could try more in one sitting.
    franklinn and StubFaceJoe like this.
  23. cinghialetwo

you're right
    We must know what we want.
  24. Barrelsnbeer

Barrelsnbeer Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

theres a very easy way to taste all those beer with out getting drunk or being effected by the alcohol, just wash it around your mouth only ingest a small portion and spit the rest out
  25. cinghialetwo

26. Barrelsnbeer

Barrelsnbeer Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

i love beer , dont get me wrong. but when you come into work feeling a little rough from the beer event the night before and you've got six beers to taste first thing in the morning(or sometimes 6 wines) that spit bucket is your best friend. beer just wouldnt be the same with out the alcohol, i now of a ton of great tasting sodas that are right up there with craft beer prices, but i dont drink those nearly as much as i drink beer
    cinghialetwo likes this.
  27. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

No. It would be called Dr. Pepper then.
  28. Jake351

Jake351 Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Probably as an alternative for weekdays. The craft session movement is coming into its own...and one day 0%ABV might be the next stage...
  29. industrialswill

industrialswill Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 Washington

We [The People] have a horrendous amount of our "blood money" [taxes] funding scientific research that has / never will have an ounce of value to any of us.
    If just half of the "flim-flam research projects" were to be axed and if there was enough bonafide talent on these Pork Barrel Projects to redirect to a truly worthy endeavor like the development of a zero ABV brew that tastes exactly like real beer [in every conceivable way, including mouthfeel]...then I would whole heartily support such a noble cause.
    Jake351 likes this.
  30. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

no question. the whole not being able to drink at work problem would be solved
  31. Jake351

Jake351 Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Massachusetts

You mean you're NOT interested in how well the red-tailed Marsh goose sleeps during a full-moon versus a half-moon? What are you? Un-American?

But seriously..if this yielded real results...(0% ABV clone brews) the Drunk-driving-related deaths potentially go down nation-wide...
  32. HoyaSaxa7

HoyaSaxa7 Initiate (122) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

This question basically boils down to, 'do you like the affects of alcohol?' And the answer is yes. Absolutely.
  33. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Much like decaf coffee & light beers. Why bother just have a water, it's ok and besides it'll save you from all the ball busting and questions. If it were indeed possible, I'd give it a shot anything's better than O'drools or Sharps. Sharps HA, more like Dulls...
  34. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Yeah, not so much. If you need to drink @ work you're drinking to null the pain of work itself, the company or the sagging sacks of flesh that surround you sucking every ounce of life from your...damn it man, don't bring that shop talk around here.:astonished:
  35. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (296) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

alcohol free beer is like decaf coffee. what's the point?
  36. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

nah, more like everyone around me having beer and i get jealous. it smells so good
  37. Blanco

Blanco Devotee (458) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

no, but I wish more of my favorite beers were about 4-4.5%. I'd like a more sessionable brew, but not 0%.
  38. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

The only way I would willingly drink a beer sans alcohol is if it was sans calories too!

Otherwise I will stick to water, coffee, the occasional kombucha, or tea, thank you very much.
  39. Mattitude13

Mattitude13 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 Florida

I'd use the 0% abv mystery liquid to rinse my glasseware for real BEERs and that is it.
  40. cinghialetwo

Why are not free to eat and drink what you want?
    Now we have too much, too much to eat, too much to drink.
    and we are like children.
    Just cry, and the market gives you what you want
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.