Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Santa Monica Brew Works

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Sam_Frank, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Nov 29, 2012 California

2. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

OMG this is a 10 or less minute drive from my place...hopefully it isn't just pales as the logo seems to suggest.

3. hopsputin

hopsputin Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Close to me as well, but given the other LA breweries I'm a little hesitant to jump for joy

4. Sam_Frank

that would be pretty sad. if that were the case don't think there'd be a lot of love from BA's

i think they should have had the Santa Monica Pier in the logo. this is pretty iconic:

[​IMG]

or the Santa Monica Mountains

that's just me tho

5. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Jan 9, 2013 California

Kind of odd to put "Finest Pale Ale" on the logo like that. Hopefully it's a work in progress and will either be changed later, or isn't the final logo at all.

I agree that the Pier would have been much better.

6. Rumrunner

Rumrunner Jun 5, 2003 California

I think the Santa Monica Pier is owned by the city. Getting permission would probably be an issue. Maybe not?

Good luck to the owners. I hope they push the envelope and make some creative brews.

Cheers!

7. Sam_Frank

maybe you're right. i don't know... i feel like it wouldn't be an issue to use a landmark as part of your design, but i could be wrong. i know i'm just being over critical but to me when i think of Santa Monica I think of the pier area, and the beach down there. or the beautiful coastline view with the mountains. the logo they've designed could be for any beach area

would even be cool to have something like this

[​IMG]

on topic of LA breweries, i've always wondered why someone has not used the name "Los Angeles Brewing".. it must be taken, even if it's not being used?

"Hollywood Brewing" is another no brainer name if you're going to start one in Los Angeles. And have the Hollywood sign as your logo

8. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Sounds promising.

9. Alepounder

Alepounder Sep 7, 2013 California

It is started purely as a commercial enterprise. None of the original partners associated with it has any brewing experience.
    Yes the iconic Santa Monica peir sign would seem to have been the obvious logo choice.

10. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Apr 16, 2005 California

Considering the Santa Monica City Council recently gnashed their teeth over whether to take legal action for trademark infringement against the SciFi Channel for allowing the Pier to be destroyed in the movie Sharknado, I would be shocked had the brewers been granted permission to use the image in their logo. They may have been able to swing it, but not without some serious financial consideration towards the city, which frankly isn't in the budget for many small craft breweries, no matter how iconic the imagery.

11. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I've heard you have to pay a fee (to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce or something like that) to have the Hollywood sign in your TV show or movie so I'd bet there'd be a hefty fee to use it on a beer--IF they'd even allow you to use it at all. Same is probably true for the pier sign though I doubt there'd be nearly as much red tape or as high a fee.

On a side note, I put money into L.A. Ale Works' successful Kickstarter campaign and got my name on their first tank (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...85808835.77273.121070797954866&type=1&theater). Their social media tagline is "Follow the LAAW" which I think is clever. I dig their logo with big shovels, too. Really nice guys to boot.

12. drewone

drewone Sep 18, 2006 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

While nice, I was hoping on the click through to see a really large So Cal Beer Idiot on the tank:(

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  13. AndresR

AndresR Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

"Drink local". Fingers crossed this "Local" is drinkable.

14. SoCalBeerIdiot

Beer Trader

Heh, heh! I considered it but I ended up going with my legal name as I'm still hoping to one day graduate to a Beer Imbecile. ;)

15. SoCalBeerIdiot

Beer Trader

There's also Los Angeles Brewing Co. downtown (http://labrewingco.com/). Was surprised to find they follow me on Twitter for some reason. Their web site says their beers are brewed by Firestone, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe