Saving our batch?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hdrider, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdrider

hdrider Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2008 Michigan

did an un planned all grain brew yesterday at my buddies place. We where going for an American barleywine style. He is out in the boonies and no internet for a beer calculator. Im new to all grain but will now never brew extract again.
    After we got our yeast pitched I went home and plugged in our on the spot recipie.
    I was bummed about the results it gave. The IBU was super high at 165 and the O.G. we took matched hed the calcr esults at 1.070.
    My question is ...... Can we split the wort we have fermenting to two carboys and add 2.5 gallons of wort to each? If so, when is the best time to do so? Maybe a second fermentation? Maybe a slightly different grain bill for each carboy for experimental purposes?
    Any input would be apreciated! Hell.. this could turn out to very ibteresting

Original recipie:
    7 gallon boil.. 5 gallon batch ... boil time 90 min
    10 lbs two row pale
    2 lbs crystal 90
    1 lb special B
    .5 LB carapils

2 oz nugget @ 60 min
    1 oz centennial @ 40 min
    1 oz centennial @ 20 min
    1 oz centennial @ 5 min
    2 paks safale #4

2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Did you take an actual gravity reading? I would say dry hop the hell out of it (2-4 oz) and call it an IPA. But, that is alot of crystal malt (26% total):rolling_eyes:

3. hdrider

Initial gravity was 1.071 right before pitching the yeast. Yeah, malt bill doesnt quite match an IPA... but there are some malty IPA's like DFH 90.... ??

4. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (387) May 2, 2006 Utah

I'm not really clear to me what it is about this batch that you wish to improve, but I'll assume that you want to increase the fermentables to get the OG into barleywine territory. I suggest boiling up some corn sugar, table sugar and/or some dry malt extract (in a small amount of water), and then adding it to the fermenter (after cooling). I think that I would do this as the first stage of fermentation is winding down. Given the large amount of crystal in your recipe, I think that I would simply add corn and/or table sugar. If you use corn sugar (37 gravity points/lb), 3 lbs should get your OG to ~1.092, 4 lbs to ~1.099.

5. hdrider

I guess it's the huge IBU of 165 that had me concerned. didnt want it undrinkable from too high an IBU. I look at some of the good DIPA;s and see like 100 IBU's tops.

6. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (573) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Remember that calculated IBUs are going to be higher than actual IBUs as the formulas become less and less accurate as the IBUs go higher. With the huge amount of Crystal you have in there I think it will help balance out the hops. Also, if it is too bitter then let it age a little bit to round the flavors out.

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,568) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

165 IBUs is impossible, so I wouldn't worry about. Though I would probably cut the early hops back to 100 theoretical IBUs, to save money if nothing else.

8. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,202) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Also recall that the threshold for solubility of alpha acids in wort is around 100 IBUs

9. jthahn

jthahn Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2009 Indiana

barleywines can certainly have high ibus, so if that worrying you i wouldnt let it. and you still have a good amount of alochol at the gravity you are at. id let it ride, see how it progresses. but if i was going to play with a half batch i might add in some maple syrup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.