SAVOR: I think they have lost it!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by scaping28, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaping28

scaping28 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2005 New Jersey

This is my Friday afternoon rant. I have been going to SAVOR, in DC each year since it began. This year I received an email that I would be excluded from the pre sale unless I become a member of one of two associations. What are they doing? Anyone see that? I am pissed off.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (6,118) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

They're simply doing a pre-sale for their members, as a reward of sorts. It's hardly something to get pissed off about.

3. abraxel

abraxel Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

Have they had pre-sales in the past that you were a part of, or is this the first time they've had the staggered ticket sales?

Regardless, what they're saying is that being a [home]brewer just makes you better than everybody else :wink:

4. scaping28

I get that. Offer them 4 tix. I deserve my 1. I have been included in the pre sale and have purchased my tickets each year. I am pissed off. Have you ever tried to get tickets when it goes to the general public?

5. scaping28

I brew my own beer. I don't need to be in an organization to prove it. I have been in presale because they always included those who have attended before.

6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,818) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

As a homebrewer, I would think so!

There are pre-sales to the GABF to AHA members. Remember that the Brewers Association runs the GABF and SAVOR, and the AHA is the amatuer division of the BA.

I have never been to the GABF or SAVOR, as a point of clarification.

7. scaping28

Todd. I met you the first or second year they had it. We were founding members in a way. I am a founding member of your sight and have subscribed to your magazine each year. Thanks. Your not going to throw me away like SAVOR are you?

8. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Devotee (400) Mar 23, 2008 California

You've been here at BA since 2005, does this really surprise you all that much considering you've seen the changes in the craft beer community for at least the past 7 years?

9. Todd

Sorry, but I don't buy the whole entitlement argument for most things in life. It's just a ticket to a beer fest.

10. scaping28

Now we are getting somewhere. I thought it was just me.

11. Todd

Throw you away? Huh? :confused:

And what does BeerAdvocate have to do with any of this?

Side-note: Beyond attending, we helped support/sellout the first 2 years of SAVOR, but we don't expect anything. In fact, we got our entire team AHA memberships to support the cause and get in on the pre-sales; for some of the team, friends and giveaways.

12. kevinv

kevinv Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Texas

Joining the AHA is currently $38 for a 1-year membership. In my opinion, the benefits that they offer already are worth the price, not to mention you'll now have access to the SAVOR pre-sale. Becoming a member is at least worth the consideration.

Pretty sure he just didn't like your original response and that you two don't have the love connection that he thought was there.

DanK4 and ant880 like this.
  13. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Brewery

The Brewer's Association puts the event on, they can set the rules, I work for a member-based association and you always take care of your members. I have no problem at all with what they are doing, this is a standard business practice. Either join, or try your hand at general public sales. I am not a member and hope I can score a few tickets when they go on sale to the general public.

14. nriech

nriech Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2005 Virginia

I agree with Kevinv, the magazine you get with the membership as well as discounts at local pubs and the database of past research online you get access to are worth the price of membership.

The bro's dont have any presale that Im aware of for their events and Im ok with that too. Even though Im a "founding subscriber" and been on here a while it doesnt make me worth more than a camels spit and Im ok with that. :-)

15. Jason

Jason Founder (8,604) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Joining the AHA also helps them lobby and hopefully turn over these very archaic homebrew laws that are still lingering in some states.

wcintula likes this.
  16. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

The AHA membership is definitely a bargain for what you get with it. I actually didn't realize it was so cheap, I might have to get one myself.

17. PhilW

PhilW Initiate (110) Sep 23, 2003 Virginia

So WTF happened? seems like no tickets were available at all to the public? several of us were on line at noon tried repeatedly and then by 10 after they were closed? WTF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.