Say cheers to the 15 best beer cities around the world

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,339) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

A pretty generic article from CNN, which is sort of « stating the obvious » but it’s good to read how craft beer is exploding throughout the world on their online outlet:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/best-beer-cities/index.html

2. stevepat

stevepat Defender (693) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

pretty cool list, the only surprise to me was that they didn't shout out any west coast US city (although they did throw Victoria in there). I would probably have swapped Portland, OR for Portland, ME just to get the full spread of US options.
    Mostly cool to read about unexpected eurasian stops like Shanghai and the eastern Euro spots. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the golden age of global beer is inbound

Edit to add: I was also surprised to see no south american cities on the list. I'm not super up to date on it but I've heard the Brazilian beer scene is exploding and have heard rumblings about Chile and Argentina

Oh_Dark_Star, AlcahueteJ and Shanex like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,627) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

15 of the Best? That's debatable, but okay...

But THE 15 Best? bwah! :rolling_eyes:

eppCOS, mickyge, TNGriff and 20 others like this.
  4. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,372) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Yeah, does seems a bit odd not to see San Diego, Portland or Seattle on the list. However, I got the impression the article was trying to focus on international destinations, which probably would come as a surprise to many readers (unlike PDX, San Diego, etc.).

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised to see Shanghai listed in the article. I had no idea craft beer was so prevalent there, and now plan to visit some of the spots in the article when the wife and I visit in October.

DOCRW, AlcahueteJ, drtth and 5 others like this.
  5. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,839) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I might add Prague & London to that list.

AlcahueteJ, TongoRad and Shanex like this.
  6. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (176) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

7. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,132) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Curious which breweries per capita list they’re referencing that doesn’t have Portland or Bend, OR near the top also.

DOCRW, jakecattleco, drtth and 2 others like this.
  8. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,067) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Yesterday I speed-read this just paging down looking at where they chose. Got the same impressions that have been stated above. For my part I will vouch for Asheville.

stevepat likes this.
  9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,311) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I hate to fall into the stereotype of a nerd hating a list, but man, I can't resist. What a dumb list. They only pick Berlin for Germany as one of the "best beer cities" and mention three "craft" breweries there, one for IPA lovers owned by Americans. It's clear that the author is trying to concentrate on national capitals and "craft"... but by ignoring London they can't even get that right. They start out by stating "The craft beer scene has taken over almost every inch of the globe [...] put one of these brew-centric cities on your bucket list and grab your passport," so one immediately gets the impression that this list will be dumb, and they stick to their craft guns rather than focusing on native culture and history (which should be the actual focus for a travel list) except for Cantillon... which is the craft dude's exception to the rule anyway so it all works out. Change the title and it'll be fine.

10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,678) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Maybe BA could post a best beer cities list? I reckon that it would look a whole lot different.

Redrover and AlcahueteJ like this.
  11. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,424) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Uhhh, no Munich?

Not only is the beer fantastic, but they invented & perfected the Biergarten

12. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,424) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I go to Shanghai twice a year....I’m shocked to see it on the list (not in a good way)

eppCOS, DOCRW, vince4953529 and 5 others like this.
  13. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,439) Dec 25, 2003 California

Nothing from California? Seems East Coast biased.

DOCRW and VoxRationis like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Savant (960) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Berlin is insulting.

15. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (429) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just dumb. What’s wrong w the internet today.

VoxRationis likes this.
  16. rgordon

Lists basically reduce our collective intelligence. They;re fun but they're wicked.....

PapaGoose03 and VoxRationis like this.
  17. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (453) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Lists are like beer reviews, only accurate when you agree with them. :wink:

18. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (58) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

I can't comment on alot of the specific cities, since I haven't been to many of them...

But I would say that picking Berlin as the "beer city" from Germany is (to put it nicely...) odd. It has neither the best craft breweries, nor the most historical/atmospheric places to drink German beer. However, if you approach it from the angle of perhaps having the best number of bars that serve different, independent, craft-type beers on tap, then maybe it is arguable, as they do have a fair number of bars with decent, far-ranging tap lists of "new" German breweries.

And, as mentioned previously, regardless of your criteria, London has to be on this list. It has a number of really good breweries, and the bar scene (in the sense mentioned above) is so far better than Berlin that it is not worth the comparison.

19. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Victoria? Lovely city with a couple nice breweries, but one of the top 15 beer cities in the world? No way. Hell it's not even one of the top 5 brewery cities on the Salish Sea.

eppCOS, sharpski, VoxRationis and 3 others like this.
  20. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,688) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

No Seattle or San Diego? Portland, Maine, not Oregon. Asheville, NC? No Munich or London? Berlin and Tokyo? I could go on, but I won't waste my time, I'll simply channel my inner New Yorker: Come on, give me a break! The list looks like it was composed by someone who has absolutely no idea what he or she is talking about and just wants to list a range of international destinations.

21. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (396) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I can only speak for the US cities on the list... but damn they didn’t even come close to getting those right

PapaGoose03 and VoxRationis like this.
  22. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,316) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

I have been to four of those cities, Brussels, Belgium, Portland, Maine, Grand Rapids, Michigan and Rome, Italy. I can not argue with Brussels. Portland is a great city, had some great beers there, but not sure I would list it as one of the top beer destinations (I passed it by on two other occasions when I was going on beer trips!) Grand Rapids is cool because of Founders, but other than that... Rome, really! (do they really drink anything other than wine!)

Munich...

23. stevepat

Trader

If Founders is all you've done in GR you should go back and try again. There's lots of great beer there and, for about half the year, it's a beautiful setting as well

VABA, Zaphog, JA_26 and 1 other person like this.
  24. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,459) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Maybe I lead a secluded life, but I have never heard/read ANY hype about many of these cities, not even here on BA in the travel forums. The research by the writer leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they sold a lot of ads with the story, but I don't want them to get over-confident from that income to try this scam again.

25. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,090) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Ya know, as far a lists of best beer go, none of these got anything on my hometown. After all, my hometown has me!

Seriously, all these best of lists fail on individual subjectivity. At best, the lists just highlight opportunities.

26. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,745) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Anymore I am sure most cities have a decent beer scene. :beers:

27. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (308) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

No city from the UK or Ireland? No Munich? These lists are worthless to me.

VoxRationis, TongoRad and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (174) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Berlin instead of Bamberg or Munich? Absurd.

29. stevepat

Trader

but if you already know that Ireland, the UK, and Munich have great beer scenes isn't there value in having other possible places of interest pointed out to you? This sort of goes for everyone mad there's not some favorite city listed, obviously the title is misleading and clickbaity, but it read more like a list of emerging beer scenes.

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and Shanex like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have had the pleasure of visiting both Portland, OR (for over a week) and more recently Portland, ME (for a few days) over the past 1+ year. Both are great destinations for a beercation.

I posted a bit about my recent visit last week in New Beer Sunday. I entitled that post “A beer mecca – Portland, ME”.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-753.619834/#post-6577976

One aspect that both Portlands have in common IMO is that you can just go for a walk and stop into a ‘random’ brewery’s taproom and feel assured that you will be served quality beer. This seems like a reasonable definition for a ‘best beer city” to me.

Cheers!

31. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,987) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

First time I went there, the shops sell the usual, Berliner Kinder is everywhere and god forbid you want to find an actual real Berliner Weisse in Berlin.

Bitterbill, AlcahueteJ and rgordon like this.
  32. rgordon

It's Munich by default with Bamberg in the mix for sure.

Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and lastmango like this.
  33. lastmango

lastmango Champion (800) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yeah . . . like what the Helles!

34. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Asheville gets plenty of chatter around here.

Bitterbill, nc41, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  35. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, and Asheville is the next American city on my list to visit for a pub crawl. And Philly will be on the same trip to drink some beer with @JackHorzempa, either before or after Asheville. Hopefully next year.

Bitterbill, beertunes and lastmango like this.
  36. rgordon

Except for Sierra Nevada down in Mills River Asheville is compact, easy to walk, with great food everywhere. If you want to add to the experience stay at The Haywood Park Hotel. It's like stepping into the 1920s. It's close to everything .

37. PapaGoose03

Society

Thanks. I bookmarked the place.

rgordon likes this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,098) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Why not both?

I will homebrew a beer in your honor. You have one year to think about what is your preferred style (lagers need longer term planning vs. ales).

Cheers!

P.S. Make sure during your visit to Asheville you make plans to take the Sierra Nevada brewing tour (you should reserve your spots online). It is a 90 minute tour and worth every minute.

39. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,451) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Looks like a goof location. It is near the Grove arcade, which has nice shops and architecture. That was built by the guy whole built the Grove Park Hotel, which is farther from the beer scene, but is very worth the time to get out there to see a Grand hotel in the Craftsman style.

Edit Jack is correct, the SN brewery is a destination. You will appreciate the tour.

40. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (878) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Melbourne? I'm sure things have changed in the ten years since I've been in Australia but jeepers, I bet the prices ain't.

aussiebeer and Bitterbill like this.