Schell's Response to the Brewer's Association

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by RKPStogie, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

I read this on BeerPulse and I thought I would share with the MN BA crew. I understand what the brewer's association is trying to due with respect to advocating for craft beer, but I personally side with Schells on this one. Schell's is one of the beers that got me into craft beer...and yes brewer's association, they ARE CRAFT BEER. The brewer's association is full of s**t on this one.

Cheers.

http://beerpulse.com/2012/12/august...-in-response-to-craft-vs-crafty-shame-on-you/

2. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

I'm also with Schell's on this one. Looks like I'll be buying a 12pk of Grain Belt in the near future to show my support.

RyanMM and bergbrew like this.
  3. TomClem

TomClem Zealot (557) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska

Bring on Schells Bock in a couple months!

dhannes and psychotia like this.
  4. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Very well written reply by Schells. I agree 100 percent with their thoughts on this. Brewers association loses a lot of credibility in my book on this one.

albertq17, somenerd and dhannes like this.
  5. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Schells is 100% right, but really, I could give a flying turd about definitions as long as they keep pumping out good beer.

JxExM, otispdriftwood and dhannes like this.
  6. bergbrew

bergbrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2004 Minnesota

To be honest, the definition is nothing new. We've known where we stood since the word "craft" was defined by them. What was new, however, was an actual blacklist. I'll be honest, when I saw our name on that list, it was like being punched in the stomach. That's how I felt, and I've only worked there for 6 years. Imagine how it felt to the family who has owned the business for 150+ years.

7. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

Why isn't new glarus blacklisted then too? Spotted cow is most of the output- which contains corn. The horror!!

somenerd, dhannes and henderan like this.
  8. Chaz

Chaz Grand Pooh-Bah (3,544) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Uncle Charlie's definition(s) are -it seems to me- arbitrary and ever changing.

I've always been amazed that an amateur* and guru to thousands of home brewers could take control of an industry lobbying group and thereby become the tail that wags the dog. His chutzpah is legendary to some, but I don't much respect him or wonder about how a blacklist will keep me from buying beers such as Deer Brand or "Carling's" Black Label for that matter. I think there's, what; 90% of the overall beer market that doesn't genuflect at the notion of Craft Beer? As such, we'll see how far his chutzpah lasts, and whether a blacklist will shame enough people into disowning brands they've enjoyed for decades, as I have with the brands from August Schell.

Bergbrew wrote:
    "I'll be honest, when I saw our name on that list, it was like being punched in the stomach."

Indeed! It's an attempt to guilt and shame the majority of the American, of-age drinking population, and a HUGE slap in the face of the notion of free consumer choice. What is this, anyway: Beer McCarthyism?

A solid, worthy piece of agit-prop from Jace Marti, in my estimation. Meanwhile, I await the Beer Inquisition, who will at any moment be bursting through the kitchen door, scaring the cats, and destroying my carefully-hidden stash of "Pabst brands". :rolling_eyes:

* Has he ever drawn a paycheck for brewing a commercial batch of beer?

9. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

Although we are members of the BA, I'll be the first to say that they have backed themselves into a corner on this one. We posted a link on our website and the responses have been overwhelmingly in favor of all beer! The BA clearly shows it's political bias often, and has hurt us with this latest attack on the breweries that have been good enough to with stand the test of time.

Although the global consolidation of beer is a reality, I am still enjoying all beer, because brewers are people with heart trying to please our palates with the recipes they craft. I have found that common trait while traveling and serving as a supplier to brewers all over the globe, big and small.

Thanks for posting the link to the reply. Well said indeed.

10. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh yeah, totally understand...my reaction would not have been so measured in your place. I might have suffered a minor stroke. But it's really inside baseball, & as long as Schell's keeps brewing great stuff, none of us drinking Emerald Rye are going to care.

steorn, Chaz and bergbrew like this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ha, I'm with you. Who else in the US had the balls to brew a Burton Ale? No one as far as I know. Keep on trucking, Schell's. I'm proud of your efforts.

12. henderan

henderan Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2007 Minnesota

I noticed on the .pdf that they indicate "There are additional adjunct beer and contract brewing companies not included in this list." Seems convenient to me that they left off a few.

13. wonderbread23

wonderbread23 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 New York

Personally, I think it is lame that an industry group can claim ownership over the term 'craft' and attempt to put their own spin on what it means. This term belongs to the consumers; they should define it. Personally for me, craft has nothing to do with size or tradition, but is all about the quality of the end product. If they can call what Dogfish Head is doing 'traditional' then I can certainly see the use of adjuncts which has over a century of history as being 'traditional' as well. Honesty in marketing is important, and really what I think this craft vs. crafty push is really about. If you're drinking a Blue Moon, you should know that it is a Coors product. Perhaps this is what the BA set out to express with this campaign and simply took it a little too far crossing the line into beer snobbery land.

RyanMM, Horbar and Chaz like this.
  14. Jeffthebrewer

Jeffthebrewer Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Minnesota

Great response from Jace! So let me get this straight. August Schell has won 6 medals at the GABF, the latest being silver in 2010 for Oktoberfest but they are not a craft brewery. The BA certainly has no problem cashing the checks from these non craft breweries every year. I think the BA has a little explaining to do. Either you exist to promote craft beer or beer in general, which is it? If breweries do not meet your standard, then do accept their application. Hard to push your agenda without those fat check from SAB/Miller, InBev and the rest of your non craft members.

15. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2010 Minnesota

Keep keeping it real, Schell's, and you will never lose my business!

leschkie likes this.
  16. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2009 Iowa

I appreciate what the BA is doing. And I appreciate even more that there be a way to differentiate between independently owned breweries and subsidiaries/brands. Hmmm...if only there were a way to differentiate between independently owned breweries and the others. What word could we use that would include all the small businesses that brew beer independently that would just allow us to note that difference while allowing us to judge the quality and styles of beer we want to drink separately....hmmm. What word could we use...

17. immobilisme

immobilisme Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2005 Illinois

It's not like Schell's contract-brewed for 3 Floyds early on or anything either.

Schell's is probably my second favorite Minnesota brewery that bottles (or cans). Keep making great lagers and obscure styles!

stinsonwbs, dc55110, Duff27 and 2 others like this.
  18. bergbrew

bergbrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2004 Minnesota

Well, that beer did have adjuncts in it. Too bad most of the the brewers of that style are gone...I could tell them they weren't craft.

19. Chaz

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hmm. "Small Brewery" doesn't quite cut it. Perhaps "Artisan" (or Artisanal) might work, Marty?
    Just a thought. :wink:

20. Chaz

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I laughed out-loud at that! In fact, I'll have to salute your post with my last bottle of Stag Series Burton Ale! :sunglasses:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.