Schlafly Tasmanian IPA...Impressed

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kismet, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kismet

kismet Initiate (119) Sep 8, 2011 Illinois

I am a chronic ticker...rarely do I pick up a 2nd or 3rd sixer of anything...had a sixer of Tamanian IPA a few weeks ago and finished it about a week ago. The more I drank it, the more I was impressed. I am by no means a beer/hop expert, but this stuff was beyond drinkable and insanely tasty. I have been missing it in my fridge...gonna pick up another sixer tomorrow. Anyone else tried it? Citrus hop lovers should check it our...kinda like tangerines in a bottle.

2. FMPLover24

FMPLover24 Initiate (97) Dec 1, 2011 Kansas

I've burned through 4 sixers in the past two months! VERY tasty offering from Schlafly.

3. tronto

tronto Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky

agreed...great beer.

4. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

I do love that beer for sure. I got one six pack and then it went all ghostly and disappeared around town, so I haven't gotten anymore. Really good stuff.

5. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Disciple (374) Nov 21, 2008 Texas
    Trader

I wish we could their beers in Texas. Schlafly A-IPA is one of my all-time-favorite IPAs. Tasmanian IPA sounds awesome.

6. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

As I posted on another thread, it tastes almost identical to Stone Enjoy By. Its the Galaxy dry hopping on very pale malt backbone.

7. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,843) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Got some in a trade recently, it is stunningly good. A must-try for ANYONE who gets Schlafly. Unfortunately they pulled out of MA so I can't get more....

Dope

8. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,843) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

That's interesting. I didn't think it was even close. I thought Enjoy By was very big with lots of garlic and onions (like a smaller Devil Dancer). TIPA was a tropical fruit bomb with lots of citrus and pineapple. Funny how palates differ.

Dope

9. pepsican

pepsican Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2007 Iowa

Schlafly has been killing it with this series of beers. Very light malt body with a very neutral yeast and a great showcasing of flavor/aroma hops with minimal bitterness for the style. I can't find any Tasmanian that is fresh enough for my tastes anymore, but I'm looking forward to the next in the series after sampling the Tasmanian and the American IPA they brewed before that. It helps we usually get them within a week of being bottled and they run around $10 a 6 pack. Solid.

10. CellarGimp

Do them side by side sometime. They have, literally, the same hop aroma and taste profile. They both use Down Under hops (Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin) for dry hopping (which is where all hop flavor and aroma come from). And the garlic thing you get, I get from both of them. To me they taste like mango and pineapple braised in garlic satai sticks. Maybe the Enjoy By is more pronounced since its a bigger beer, but TIPA tastes like its little brother.

Devil Dancer gets its onions and garlic from Summit hops. Awful stuff fresh. However I just had a 2011 DD a few weeks back and found it a much better Barley Wine.

11. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Devotee (400) Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

Is that with Tazmanian hops? If so which ones? I have really been getting into the Kiwi and Ausi hopped beers lately. Southern Hemisphere hops are the wave of the future.

kuhndog likes this.
  12. jkblodge

jkblodge Initiate (108) Jun 27, 2005 Maryland

Galaxy

13. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,383) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I absolutely loved it...

14. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (595) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Great beer, tons of flavor, but body is pretty watery.

rhartogsq likes this.
  15. kismet

kismet Initiate (119) Sep 8, 2011 Illinois

got a sixer that was brewed on 11/7...glad to hear others are enjoying it. it is a great gateway ipa for people who have never had the style.

16. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Trader

One of my favorite IPAs ever. Very sweet and tropical fruity-y.

17. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,272) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

It's one of my beers of the year. I could drink it forever!

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  18. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,159) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I concur, was sad when I didn't see any more the last time I was in Mizzou. I liked it better than any of their other hoppy offerings, spot on balance with hop freshness, that makes me think I won't buy any more Founders Harvest if I have to choose between the 2 ( based on this years samples)

19. mpayne5

mpayne5 Devotee (431) Aug 18, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

IMO tastes a lot like Zombie Dust for those who haven't had it.

Could be my unrefined palate, but I thought they tasted similar.

20. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2010 Missouri

I loved it. The tangerine citrus was the dominate flavor for me. Hands down a wonderful beer.

21. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

It sounds delicious - I received one as an extra last week, so I'm looking forward to opening it after work tomorrow.

22. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Poo-Bah (1,767) Oct 3, 2007 New York

I was lucky enough to stumble on this at the brewpub a few weeks ago...it was amazing. Very impressed and pleasantly surprised.
    The bartender said its made with only one malt and one hop! Amazing that such a tasty brew is made so simple.

23. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,383) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

The feel and its juicy quality reminded me of zombie dust also.

24. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (623) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Schlafly TIPA and AIPA are the shizz

25. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (623) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

In fact, I'd say the TIPA and AIPA are the best beers Schafly has ever done

26. rschne13

rschne13 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2009 Missouri

I agree, TIPA and AIPA are my two favorite offerings Schlafly has come out with. TIPA is killing it right now - such a great beer.

27. CUE45

CUE45 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2008 Virginia

+20. I was lucky enough to score 2 six-packs right before it disappeared from my area. Soo tasty. I would score another. Even if bottled 11/07. Not too stale for me!

28. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

Thought it tasted nothing like Stone Enjoy By. I have drank ~2 cases of the Schlafly's and have had the Stone 2x and won't have it again.

29. bluetieman

bluetieman Initiate (90) Sep 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Is this in the Philly area?

30. CellarGimp

I liked the Schlafly better too, because the dank grassy/oniony flavor wasn't as pronounced, but they use the same Galaxy hops for dry hopping so the hop profile is the literally the same only less aggressive. Try them again side by side. If you still think they taste nothing alike I would be surprised. Cheers

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  31. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (816) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Been drinking Schlafly for many years now and I think the TIPA is my favorite thing they've done. The AIPA ain't bad either. Let's hope these stay in their rotation for years to come.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  32. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Disciple (315) Jul 3, 2012 Canada

now just hope the export ipa(XIPA) will be in the same ballpark

33. Naters333

Naters333 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2012 Illinois

TIPA is a beer I really enjoyed, but I thought it tasted nothing like Zombie Dust. Interesting observation though.

34. Onenote81

Onenote81 Poo-Bah (2,081) May 27, 2008 North Carolina
    Society

And this is now on my wants...

35. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Really want to try this beer

36. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey

This one really surprised me as well, never saw it here in NJ unfortunately but a friend of mine brought some up from MD.

37. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Illinois

I agree. I had ZD and the Tasmanian IPA back to back a couple of times. Fresh they have a lot of similarities. They're both great. I bought a case of the Tasmanian when it was about a week old. I think it was bottled in the middle of October or so from what I recall. Super fresh it was tremendous, but it lost a lot in just a few weeks. I'm normally not someone who notices a lot of hop fade in beers that are less than a few months old, but I thought the change in the Tasmanian was dramatic. I had saved some to let my brothers try over Thanksgiving. It was still fine, but it had lost the big citrus hop bite that had made it so great.

38. skinsfan

skinsfan Zealot (555) May 24, 2005 Maryland

I finally was able to grab a case of this today, bottle 11-26. I have not tried it yet, so I cannot wait to crack into one tonight!

39. Andrew61923

Andrew61923 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2009 California

Does anyone have any idea how late this will be bottled? I'd love to get my hands on it after the holidays.

40. Kubrickx

Kubrickx Defender (631) Sep 1, 2012 Illinois

I really enjoyed this beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.