News Scottish brewery BrewDog takes stout position against Trump supporters

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Thankin_Hank, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Crusader (742) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Premium

Funny as Hell.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/28/world/brewdog-scofflaw-beer-trump-trnd/index.html

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,325) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

BREWBOUND:
    Scofflaw, BrewDog Caught in Controversy Again

3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,360) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I can see this thread going to down a messy road.

Given Brewdog's history I could see questioning if this is actually political or if it is marketing. If political, good for them. If marketing, good for the anti-Trump movement.

Never heard of Scofflaw, now I have. So I guess this is also, in a way, good for them. And by extension the pro-Trump movement (and fellow beer pro-Trump beer drinkers).

deadwolfbones likes this.
  4. zid

zid Champion (880) Feb 15, 2010 New York

This caught my attention:
    That's interesting. It's also a bit funny that a Scottish brewing company that brews in Scotland built a brewery in the US, brewed beer for a US company, and then exports that beer to the UK. I guess they'd rather move the beer than move the recipe. Perhaps its due to legal reasons more than anything else, but I don't know.

5. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (265) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I mean honestly, I doubt very many hardcore Trump supporters drink anything other than Bud or Busch to begin with.

6. jesskidden

Until someone revives these:
    [​IMG]

Brad007, Lahey, IPAExpert69 and 12 others like this.
  7. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (265) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Most Trump supporters I know think that craft beer is purty fancy yuppie boy crap that damn Liberals and Millennials drink.

8. seakayak

seakayak Disciple (350) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts

I have to say, I really don't like knowing my fellow BA's political orientations.

9. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,311) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

The bad side of politics has poisoned just about every part of society. This place has been a refuge from it. @Todd, let’s not poison this place too, we don’t need threads like this, please make this thread go away and others like it in future.

10. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,570) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, I'd hazard a guess that the brewing plant in Scotland is at full capacity whereas the one in Columbus is not (even with contract brewing for Scofflaw). I'd also hazard a guess that the Scofflaw beers that got sent to the UK were part of what was contract brewed in Columbus so that it was Scofflaw, the owners of the beer, that exported the beer to the UK (probably for some of those legal reasons you mention).

#10 drtth, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    cavedave, beertunes and zid like this.
  11. seth27

seth27 Initiate (80) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

It would probably sell better if they took a hazy IPA position.

Sorry:slight_frown:

AlcahueteJ, beertunes and russpowell like this.
  12. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (441) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

Brewdog’s tendency to embrace contosversy is getting old at this point. It’s so obviously contrived — who is taking these guys seriously anymore??

13. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (474) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

You'd be wrong.

That's the problem with stereotypes.

14. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Zealot (596) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Premium

Agree that we are becoming more polarized. However, I believe that is in part because we are seemingly, increasingly unwilling to listen to the viewpoint of others (I admit there are times when it is hard for me). As long we all agree that our individual opinions are no more or less important than someone else's, I am open to hearing the opinions of others, and I hope others are open to hearing mine.

That said, here is an opinion: without beer, and others to share it with, life would be, well, what do the British call it--a word I believe I first heard in that ever popular book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy--niggly?

#14 HopsAreDaMan, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    CaptainHate likes this.
  15. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (905) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

I think craft skews left for the most part, seems like cities/states with large pockets of crafty breweries are blue, NY/MA/CA/VT/CO/IL etc. but there are plenty of exceptions...

Dan_K and thesherrybomber like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I am pretty sure that in today’s ‘polarized’ world somebody is going to say you are racist (or sexist or homophobic or…?) for using that word!?!:flushed:

Next thing you will be using the word “Alumnius”?:wink:

Cheers!

17. Todd

Todd Founder (5,598) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

If it's related to beer, it's open for discussion. No one is required to click or reply to any thread, but we ask that you follow our code of conduct if you do.

18. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (379) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Do some research on them and you'll see this is par for the course. Scofflaw is known to 'buck the system' and be "lawless", and they've been creating controversy from day one. Lots of fighting online with people not impressed with their product, name calling, threats, typical tough guy behind a keyboard attitude. They're not one to just brew beer and sell it, they have to be on the ragged edge of making everyone hate them for it to work.

19. Todd

Todd Founder (5,598) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

cavedave likes this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,595) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Lol, trying to cash in. Just brew your beers and let them stand alone. Don't give two shits about your politics.

21. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (105) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

While visiting family in MI last week I got to see a mailer for a congressional candidate (Scott Dianda I think) and one of his selling points was that he "doesn't drink fancy beer." Best part was that this was printed under a photo of him drinking a Busch Lite in a room festooned with a Keweenaw Brewing Company tin tacker on the wall literally right behind his head. Makes me wonder how many 'closet craft drinkers' are out there hiding their IPAs from the drankin' & huntin' buddies.

22. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Zealot (596) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Premium

Thank you for your reply.

1) I choose to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not--in a sideways or indirect manner, perhaps--making those judgements about me. I partly give you that benefit because your posts seem to nearly--if not always--respectful. And it seems that your post is meant to be taken 'tongue in cheek'.

2) You quoted my usage of the word out of the context of the sentence within which it was used. I would would done it thusly:
    3) Part of the problem with these kinds of sensitivities, IMJ, is that we sometimes take only a small fraction of what we see and then highlight it, sometimes simply for the sake of sensationalism. Certainly some of the news outlets are guilty of this. Further, if I am rushed, or not really thinking about what I am doing, I sometimes make this mistake myself--take something out of context. In this particular case, all it would take is a few seconds to google British word niggly to get the definition and determine, IMJ, there is nothing racist about the word or my usage of it.

4) You could have googled The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy niggly and obtained a bit more information about what I was referring to. If you haven't read the book, and you like satire and/or science fiction, I highly recommend it. Oh, and have perhaps any good English ale while reading it--I haven't had a good one myself in a while.:slight_smile:

TheDoctor likes this.
  23. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Zealot (565) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Premium Trader

24. zid

zid Champion (880) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Would love to see a picture of this.

cavedave, FBarber and Number1Framer like this.
  25. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,573) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

riptorn likes this.
  26. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,040) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

It bugs the hell out of me when foreign entities, businesses, and celebrities think we need to hear about their opinion of US politics. They can have their opinions of course, and speech is free in most countries, but who the hell really wants to hear their often obnoxious opinion just because they are in a position to give it - regardless of party?

27. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (861) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

That would piss me off too. On behalf of the United Kingdom I apologise for Piers Morgan and John Oliver. On behalf of the wider international community I apologise for Trevor Noah.

28. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Headline could have easily read: "Attention Whoring Brewery Takes Stand Against Douchebag Brewery Who They Brew Beer For"

29. jesskidden

Well, brewing, like so many others, is a global business. Although part-owners Watt and Dickie are Scottish and act as the "public faces" of BrewDog, US-based TSG Partners (also a partial-owner of Pabst and Sweet Water) is a minority owner of BrewDog, as is former/brief Anchor co-owner Keith Greggor, who also sits on BrewDog's board.

And, as noted, BrewDog owns the brewery in Ohio licensed by the US, employs US workers and pays local, state and Federal taxes, as well as Excise Beer taxes. Despite their accents, seems they have the right to speak out as much as anyone about the political situation in the country in which they've heavily-invested. The First Amendment doesn't apply only to US citizens.

#29 jesskidden, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  30. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (79) Mar 10, 2018 New York

I wonder if Wainwright Brewing ever got paid for the beer they produced.

31. jesskidden

Might explain some of the financial problems Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (later Iron City) had before they closed up shop and moved production to a contract with City at Latrobe. IIRC, they owed millions to the city for water, sewer, etc. (Granted the Trump contract likely wasn't all that lucrative to help much :grin:).

Wainwright being just another of PBC's many 'dba' names - in this case, from their "crafty" label of the 1990-2000s "J. J. Wainwright / Evil Eye".

32. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Well . . . technically it does, but I very much understand and agree with what you're saying.

riptorn likes this.
  33. jesskidden

Not the way I read it:
    Doesn't mention if the "press" or speaker is a citizen or not. Lots of US newspapers, magazines and publishing houses have been foreign-owned and I doubt the Feds could shut them down or prohibit them from publishing for that reason (yet, anyway).

(And, no, I'm not a lawyer but I am on the shortlist for a spot on the SCOTUS and will be moving up one spot as soon as this current Bud "I like beer" Light, ex-100 Keg Club dude withdraws... :grin:).

34. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

You missed this bit, earlier in the document:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

stevesbeer likes this.
  35. rjniles

rjniles Initiate (90) Aug 30, 2012 South Carolina

Any business that allows it politics to become public risks alienating half the population and its customers. If was on the board of directors of such a company I would move to remove the CEO who let it happen.

Trump supporters do drink craft beer.

stevesbeer, Squire, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  36. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (494) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

What's equally fascinating is that you think smaller craft breweries have so much internal structure as to have a thing like a board of directors.
    Also, let's not re-hash what the actual numbers really are for that alleged half the population.

montman and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Yup! Just having a bit of fun.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

#37 JackHorzempa, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  38. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (105) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I googled around for it a bit and unfortunately the photos from the mailer do not appear to have been posted online. I should have taken a pic with my phone when I was there but I didn't!

zid likes this.
  39. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,570) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Your reading/interpretation is the same one SCOTUS has adopted for years. The 1st limits the powers of the government and makes no mention of citizenship. So the right to free speech does apply to both citizens and non-citizens in the US.

ecpho likes this.
  40. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (494) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Back to BrewDog though. It must be eye opening for them being situated in Ohio. Because it is such a key state in our presidential elections, and also because its voters have voted against their own better interests for so long.
    Getting to know the various people in their supply chain. Like say, the farmers who think a city bumpkin actually has their back has to be painfully funny to them considering Scots overall stance on Brexit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.